Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Hi, I just got a new bearded dragon three days ago. I’m just wondering how pliable the end of their tail is supposed to be? He’s still pretty afraid of me so I can’t actually touch it right now but it looks to me like the end of his tail isn’t as pliable as the rest of his tail and it’s a little bit darker in color. There is one area that looks a little bit kinked when I got him he had just had a full body shed so I don’t know if maybe there’s some shed stuck on his tail or if this is just totally normal? I attached a picture. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1B80D628-3EB6-4D60-9C3F-DCEF879DE35E.jpeg
    1B80D628-3EB6-4D60-9C3F-DCEF879DE35E.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 207
  • FCC2F507-E0DF-4CAC-8CC7-99EEEDD42E11.jpeg
    FCC2F507-E0DF-4CAC-8CC7-99EEEDD42E11.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 161

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, I just got a new bearded dragon three days ago. I’m just wondering how pliable the end of their tail is supposed to be? He’s still pretty afraid of me so I can’t actually touch it right now but it looks to me like the end of his tail isn’t as pliable as the rest of his tail and it’s a little bit darker in color. There is one area that looks a little bit kinked when I got him he had just had a full body shed so I don’t know if maybe there’s some shed stuck on his tail or if this is just totally normal? I attached a picture. Thanks!
End of tails are a little harder but your looks good - watch for black you said it had a kink in it can you post a pic of the kink please - from the pics I see now it looks fine --- make sure you have good UVB NO coils ------------ a CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO colored bulbs NO heat mats or rocks and a digital probe thermometer for getting actual basking temps --- the probe needs to sit on the spot where he basks for actual basking temps 105-110 for a baby -- if you need anymore help please ask

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
End of tails are a little harder but your looks good - watch for black you said it had a kink in it can you post a pic of the kink please - from the pics I see now it looks fine --- make sure you have good UVB NO coils ------------ a CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO colored bulbs NO heat mats or rocks and a digital probe thermometer for getting actual basking temps --- the probe needs to sit on the spot where he basks for actual basking temps 105-110 for a baby -- if you need anymore help please ask
Thanks so much for your help! I will try to get a picture of the part of his tail that looks kinked. I have a repti sun t8 10.0 that is 8 inches from the basking rock. I have sort of had to compromise a little bit with the temperatures because the basking spot that is closer to the UVB is at about 95°. The other basking spot that is more like 10 to 11 inches from the UVb is 107. Do you think that will be OK? Also I was a little worried about the cord to my UVB being too close to the heat lamp it is about 6 inches from the heat lamp. It doesn’t feel hot or anything I was just wondering if you think that’s OK? I should have flipped the uvb around before I put it in. I have an Arcadia light coming in that’s just taking forever to get here and when that gets here I am going to try to do a better set up as far as hanging that light. Thanks so much for your help!

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for your help! I will try to get a picture of the part of his tail that looks kinked. I have a repti sun t8 10.0 that is 8 inches from the basking rock. I have sort of had to compromise a little bit with the temperatures because the basking spot that is closer to the UVB is at about 95°. The other basking spot that is more like 10 to 11 inches from the UVb is 107. Do you think that will be OK? Also I was a little worried about the cord to my UVB being too close to the heat lamp it is about 6 inches from the heat lamp. It doesn’t feel hot or anything I was just wondering if you think that’s OK? I should have flipped the uvb around before I put it in. I have an Arcadia light coming in that’s just taking forever to get here and when that gets here I am going to try to do a better set up as far as hanging that light. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 8C4B0C4F-8473-4619-AA96-660536C5BE2D.jpeg
    8C4B0C4F-8473-4619-AA96-660536C5BE2D.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 117

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don’t know if you’ll be able to see in this picture or not it’s so small but do you see the two little kinks that I’m talking about one is towards the bottom of his tail and one is closer up to the rock in the picture

Attachments

• 30CA2472-C497-490D-BF87-865576EC273B.jpeg
    30CA2472-C497-490D-BF87-865576EC273B.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 136

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Those temperatures are taken with an infrared thermometer. The digital probes on either side of the enclosure are 90 on the hot side and 77 for the ambient temperature of the cool side

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am confused w/ the positioning of the UVB it looks like its on the outside of the tank - the T 8 is good if its 8 inches -- but it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece - if he has different temps to bask that is good - your Arcadia coming in is what a 12% bulb I hope -- that is most recommended for dragons -- IR guns are ok but sometimes off w/ the materials used for basking decor example they cannot read off of hammocks so its best to use your digital probes -- I am going to have someone else look at the tail @AHBD

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The UVB is inside the tank, 8 inches from the 95 degree basking spot and 10 inches from the 105 degree basking spot. Thanks for your help and for having someone else look at the picture of his tail.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is inside the tank, 8 inches from the 95 degree basking spot and 10 inches from the 105 degree basking spot. Thanks for your help and for having someone else look at the picture of his tail.
Your welcome-- when the Arcadia comes in please post so I can help you get it placed --

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here’s another picture of his tail. Thanks!

Attachments

• FC4AF35E-4128-47A3-A004-2D3668FE66FC.jpeg
    FC4AF35E-4128-47A3-A004-2D3668FE66FC.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 102

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He just threw up? He had eaten about 30 minutes before. Phoenix worms and dubia. Could I have just over fed him. He really wanted to eat the throw up. What is going on do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom