Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Karrie,
This morning about 30 minutes after he ate, Beans got under the paper in his enclosure. He has done this once before. Is that normal?
Did you get all your temps straightened out ? Basking temps w/ the digital probe sitting on the spot where he basks thats going to give you actual basking temps - the UVB is a 12% bulb or the 14% bulb? And hows the tail doing? Is Beans basking?

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Did you get all your temps straightened out ? Basking temps w/ the digital probe sitting on the spot where he basks thats going to give you actual basking temps - the UVB is a 12% bulb or the 14% bulb? And hows the tail doing? Is Beans basking?
The temps have been good. I do have a 50 watt bulb that depending on the weather, I dim down or turn off later in the day. He has been basking most of the day, every day, except for short breaks on the cool side. The bulb is the 12%.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The temps have been good. I do have a 50 watt bulb that depending on the weather, I dim down or turn off later in the day. He has been basking most of the day, every day, except for short breaks on the cool side. The bulb is the 12%.
The UVB is 14 inches from his basking spot. His tail just shed and I think it looks fine.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

Attachments

• 2645ABA4-6790-4573-A050-842089DF585E.jpeg
    2645ABA4-6790-4573-A050-842089DF585E.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 6B5249C7-82D1-46AA-AA72-4CCFCE3FA157.jpeg
    6B5249C7-82D1-46AA-AA72-4CCFCE3FA157.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 63

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so that all sounds good and the tail looks fine --- as far as going under the paper that is a normal thing -- is he doing that in his hide or on the cool side? If hes doing it on the cool side I would set up another hide for him - I have two hides in my Zen one under the UVB that he sits on top of as well and one on the cool side

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK. Actually I don’t have a hide on the cool side so I will put one in there. Thank you so much for all your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
OK. Actually I don’t have a hide on the cool side so I will put one in there. Thank you so much for all your help!
Try that and see if he quits going under the paper - he may still do that you can use some cut up paper towels in strips or a fleece blanket cut up as well something he can dig and get underneath

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Try that and see if he quits going under the paper - he may still do that you can use some cut up paper towels in strips or a fleece blanket cut up as well something he can dig and get underneath
So my black soldier fly larva container today when I opened it to get some out smelled strongly of ammonia. Is that normal? I just wasn’t sure if I should just throw those out or what was going on?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So my black soldier fly larva container today when I opened it to get some out smelled strongly of ammonia. Is that normal? I just wasn’t sure if I should just throw those out or what was going on?
Not sure dont use them till you contact where you got them from --- call them --

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long were they in shipping? Are the worms active or do they appear dead? I had that happen once when a shipment was delayed. They had the ammonia smell and weren't moving, even after warming them up to room temp so I threw them out. If they are active/wiggling around then you might be able to just stir the substrate and let the container air out with the top off for a bit and see how that goes.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How long were they in shipping? Are the worms active or do they appear dead? I had that happen once when a shipment was delayed. They had the ammonia smell and weren't moving, even after warming them up to room temp so I threw them out. If they are active/wiggling around then you might be able to just stir the substrate and let the container air out with the top off for a bit and see how that goes.
I’ve had them I think for about a week and a half. I called them and they said it’s just basically their excrement. There were some dead ones in there so I went through them and took the dead ones out and changed their substrate and I’m gonna leave the lid off for a while and see how they smell tomorrow. The company said it’s fine to feed them but I’m just gonna see how they smell tomorrow that makes me a little bit nervous. I get 500 at a time and I think I’m gonna start putting them in a bigger container when they arrive.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a good plan. As long as they're wiggling around/active they should be OK to feed off.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Not sure dont use them till you contact where you got them from --- call them --
Hi Karrie,
Beans usually poops every morning or every other morning. He has not pooped in 2 days. Should I be worried? He is eating and behaving normally. He eats his salads really well so I don't think he could be dehydrated. He is about 5 1/2 to 6 months old. Thanks!

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Karrie,
Beans usually poops every morning or every other morning. He has not pooped in 2 days. Should I be worried? He is eating and behaving normally. He eats his salads really well so I don't think he could be dehydrated. He is about 5 1/2 to 6 months old. Thanks!
Also I am very careful about feeding bugs that are smaller than the space between his eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom