Sapphire
79940592-26D5-4FEB-9118-E09F1DCB29E9.jpeg

Attachments

• B7582FC6-01FA-413A-B328-32478CC61DB0.jpeg
    B7582FC6-01FA-413A-B328-32478CC61DB0.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 83

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The end part is dead, how long have you had the B.D. and do you know how + when it happened ? That part will probably fall off and that may be the end of the problem or it may spread up the tail, just keep an eye on it.

Sapphirebeardie04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sapphire
The end part is dead, how long have you had the B.D. and do you know how + when it happened ? That part will probably fall off and that may be the end of the problem or it may spread up the tail, just keep an eye on it.
Thank you for the speedy response! I really appreciate it. I just purchased from petsmart 2 days ago. I didn’t notice until now being this is my first beardie. Looking back The pictures I took on Thursday today I purchased it was a lighter gray. I’ve been super excited and it’s been eating well. 10 crickets a day and ate some 6 meal worms today along two tiny bits of kale. There was two beardies in the display box when I purchased it. I do not know if they were fighting or what caused this. The picture below is from the day I’ve purchased. My beardie is currently napping on my chest and I am absolutely in love with it

Attachments

• A2061B04-F4BF-45FE-8C14-1F005037ECC7.jpg
    A2061B04-F4BF-45FE-8C14-1F005037ECC7.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 79

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like it's doing very well and yes, they are really easy to get attached to ! So just keep an eye on it and it will probably fall off, after that happens just watch to see if it starts affecting more of the tail and then you will have to treat it.

Sapphirebeardie04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sapphire
It sounds like it's doing very well and yes, they are really easy to get attached to ! So just keep an eye on it and it will probably fall off, after that happens just watch to see if it starts affecting more of the tail and then you will have to treat it.
I was planning on doing the Betadine Solution treatment as soon as tomorrow. How long can I have my beardie napping on my chest or out of its terrarium ? I greatly appreciate your help so far. This it’s home. I’m in process of adding more items. Any advice on how to drop the humidity in its home?

Attachments

• 5EF2F5CA-8FCA-4636-BB52-8F11FB52EC8B.jpeg
    5EF2F5CA-8FCA-4636-BB52-8F11FB52EC8B.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 89

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Set up looks good ! No need to add more decor, that's plenty. What type of uvb bulb do you have ? How high is the humidity ? Starting the betadine right away is a good idea, having b.d. out of the tank is O.K for 1/2 hour or so but not right after eating.

Sapphirebeardie04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sapphire
Set up looks good ! No need to add more decor, that's plenty. What type of uvb bulb do you have ? How high is the humidity ? Starting the betadine right away is a good idea, having b.d. out of the tank is O.K for 1/2 hour or so but not right after eating.
23 watt. 10.0uvb bulb along with a100 watt basking spot bulb. The humidity fluctuates from 45 to 50% I’ve removed a large water bowl yesterday, also am I allow to leave 4-5 roaming crickets in the tank?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good move getting the water bowl out and the humidity is fine. Best not to leave crickets , they are nocturnal and will often bite on any creature in the tank to feed off of them. So is your uvb a Zoo med brand, is it long tube or a compact ? Either way a 10.0 is not going to produce strong enough uvb unless it's a long tube and it's mounted under the screen.

Sapphirebeardie04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sapphire
Good move getting the water bowl out and the humidity is fine. Best not to leave crickets , they are nocturnal and will often bite on any creature in the tank to feed off of them. So is your uvb a Zoo med brand, is it long tube or a compact ? Either way a 10.0 is not going to produce strong enough uvb unless it's a long tube and it's mounted under the screen.
I’m playing cat and mouse game with the crickets now lol thank you! And correct it’s a zoo med brand and I will immediately be upgrading my uvb then. What do you recommend?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I’m playing cat and mouse game with the crickets now lol thank you! And correct it’s a zoo med brand and I will immediately be upgrading my uvb then. What do you recommend?
Zoomed Reptisun T5 or Arcadia Pro T5 for fixtures. The ZooMed comes with a 5.0 bulb but you want a Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% bulb. Looks like you have a 40 gallon breeder (36"x18"x18")? A 24" fixture will be a good size for that and will be usable if/when you upgrade up to a 120 gallon (4'x2'x2').

Sapphirebeardie04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sapphire
Zoomed Reptisun T5 or Arcadia Pro T5 for fixtures. The ZooMed comes with a 5.0 bulb but you want a Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% bulb. Looks like you have a 40 gallon breeder (36"x18"x18")? A 24" fixture will be a good size for that and will be usable if/when you upgrade up to a 120 gallon (4'x2'x2').
Correct on the tank size! Thank you so much! I’m looking at my options now on Amazon! My local petsmart was currently out :/. What’s your opinion on my beardies tail? Pictures are above in the thread!

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Correct on the tank size! Thank you so much! I’m looking at my options now on Amazon! My local petsmart was currently out :/. What’s your opinion on my beardies tail? Pictures are above in the thread!
I recognize it as the same kit my guy started with. The Thrive one? I recognize that carpet, food bowls and cave. Just a heads up, I would definitely have at least one more carpet so you can switch them out when they need to be cleaned. They are a pain in the ass to wash and disinfect, so you may want to consider a different substrate at some point, like ceramic or slate tile or textured nonadhesive shelf liner that can both be cleaned with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution.

As far as the tail, it definitely looks like some kind of damage occurred, poor guy. I haven't dealt with it personally, so I will defer to what I've read on here which is what AHBD was saying. Betadine soaks and keep an eye. Sometimes the affected part will fall off and that will be the end of it, sometimes it gets necrotic and keeps spreading and an amputation may be necessary. You can also try raw unfiltered honey or plain neosporin (NOT the pain relief kind) after the baths to help prevent any further infection.

You can also try pangeareptiles.com for the lighting. They are reasonably priced and good shipping. I ordered a bulb from Amazon that was twice as expensive and arrived broken. Returned it and ordered from these guys and it was still about half the price even with shipping and arrived in one piece.

Sapphirebeardie04

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sapphire
I recognize it as the same kit my guy started with. The Thrive one? I recognize that carpet, food bowls and cave. Just a heads up, I would definitely have at least one more carpet so you can switch them out when they need to be cleaned. They are a pain in the ass to wash and disinfect, so you may want to consider a different substrate at some point, like ceramic or slate tile or textured nonadhesive shelf liner that can both be cleaned with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution.

As far as the tail, it definitely looks like some kind of damage occurred, poor guy. I haven't dealt with it personally, so I will defer to what I've read on here which is what AHBD was saying. Betadine soaks and keep an eye. Sometimes the affected part will fall off and that will be the end of it, sometimes it gets necrotic and keeps spreading and an amputation may be necessary. You can also try raw unfiltered honey or plain neosporin (NOT the pain relief kind) after the baths to help prevent any further infection.

You can also try pangeareptiles.com for the lighting. They are reasonably priced and good shipping. I ordered a bulb from Amazon that was twice as expensive and arrived broken. Returned it and ordered from these guys and it was still about half the price even with shipping and arrived in one piece.
Update: ‼️‼️I found my beardie this morning with the black tip gone seems that that it fell off during night time. So I wanna head and did the betadine process and Neosporin and placed A tiny bandage. I am keeping a close eye on it to see if it further travels up to tail. I will repeat the process tomorrow.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i'm no pro, but if it was my dragon, i would take the bandage off. the rest of the things you are doing sound more than appropriate based on what i have seen others talk about on here. the bandage makes me worry about little bits being eaten, and also bacteria growing under it. i think treatment and then being in the ambient air would be better. anyone else agree/disagree???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom