Tail Rot or Shedding

ashtnren

Beardie name(s)
Rocket “Dracarys” McGee
Got this guy from a pet store a few weeks ago. He’s about 6months old and is eating/pooping regularly. His tail is a little concerning. Is this normal shedding or could it be Tail Rot? Newbie to Beardie world and looking for any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• AD406E14-6D08-4F8B-914D-21A8D005DE7B.jpeg
    AD406E14-6D08-4F8B-914D-21A8D005DE7B.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 162

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Got this guy from a pet store a few weeks ago. He’s about 6months old and is eating/pooping regularly. His tail is a little concerning. Is this normal shedding or could it be Tail Rot? Newbie to Beardie world and looking for any advice. Thanks!
Looks normal -tail rot would be like a injury or nip / bite or pinch on the end of the tail - any off coloring is usually shedding starting -- make sure your using a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps 95-100 - NO colored bulbs at all - UVB a long tube fixture please NO coils - if you need help in that dept please ask - coils are no good and will cause all kinds of health problems

ashtnren

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocket “Dracarys” McGee
Looks normal -tail rot would be like a injury or nip / bite or pinch on the end of the tail - any off coloring is usually shedding starting -- make sure your using a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps 95-100 - NO colored bulbs at all - UVB a long tube fixture please NO coils - if you need help in that dept please ask - coils are no good and will cause all kinds of health problems

Attachments

• FA28BF1F-3874-4B43-BAD9-B33D55C7CD11.jpeg
    FA28BF1F-3874-4B43-BAD9-B33D55C7CD11.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 63

ashtnren

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocket “Dracarys” McGee
Current light set up- I don’t believe they have coils. I asked someone at the pet store to assist me with which ones to pick out, do they look right?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
That's shed.

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
Current light set up- I don’t believe they have coils. I asked someone at the pet store to assist me with which ones to pick out, do they look right?
Yes you got exactly what you need.
Is that a reptisun or zoo med, arcadia sp? Bulb?
I’ve read anything other than those two brands aren’t reputable.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I see the screen it looks to be a wide hole type can you post a pic of it from the top --and I need to know if that is a T 5 or a T 8 as asked -- this is going to determine the place and distance for the UVB --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree, it is a normal shed. The tails are some of the hardest areas to shed but,
eventually it will dry out enough to shed.
Do let us know the type of the tube strength wise so we can be sure it is placed correctly.

Tracie

ashtnren

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocket “Dracarys” McGee
Hello,

I completely agree, it is a normal shed. The tails are some of the hardest areas to shed but,
eventually it will dry out enough to shed.
Do let us know the type of the tube strength wise so we can be sure it is placed correctly.

Tracie
Tube Light is T5

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight? The lighting looks good as long as he can get within 8-10
inches for best UVB strength since it's on top of the screen.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom