Tail rot or normal ?

Mariahnovotny

Beardie name(s)
Phoenix
My baby beardies tail gets darker at the end , took him to the vet today she said it could be normal or tail rot . And does anyone have a guess in age ? Petco said 6 months but he only weighed 95 or 9.5 grams today I couldn’t remember which

Attachments

• 24A6B253-B41C-474A-BF13-4EA50CE936C1.jpeg
    24A6B253-B41C-474A-BF13-4EA50CE936C1.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 131
  • EC34FADA-1354-437C-9DB8-48FEE274426B.jpeg
    EC34FADA-1354-437C-9DB8-48FEE274426B.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 103

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It looks normal, tail rot is from tissue damage, it's normal for their tails to darken, mood, temp,stress, shed,ect can all make the tail darken.

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
My baby beardies tail gets darker at the end , took him to the vet today she said it could be normal or tail rot . And does anyone have a guess in age ? Petco said 6 months but he only weighed 95 or 9.5 grams today I couldn’t remember which
Don’t worry ! If you look back on some of my very first posts… my beardies tail looked just the same !! It was just shed. Tail rot really only occurs when there is an injury that is left untreated and gets infected / an injury is so large it causes major tissue death.

Rotted tails are very literally rotten flesh and are extremely brittle. If it were to be tail rot, the underside of her tail would be very dark as well, so do not worry.

It’s super rare to get tail rot without injury !! And those cases are usually because of severe malnutrition. And your beardie looks very healthy, so I would not worry at all.

Mariahnovotny

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Phoenix
Don’t worry ! If you look back on some of my very first posts… my beardies tail looked just the same !! It was just shed. Tail rot really only occurs when there is an injury that is left untreated and gets infected / an injury is so large it causes major tissue death.

Rotted tails are very literally rotten flesh and are extremely brittle. If it were to be tail rot, the underside of her tail would be very dark as well, so do not worry.

It’s super rare to get tail rot without injury !! And those cases are usually because of severe malnutrition. And your beardie looks very healthy, so I would not worry at all.
Okay perfect ! He did just go through a shed so I just wanted to make sure ! And he’s def much happier since I’ve gotten him he’s such a good baby too , super sweet and we take really good care of him ! Thank u guys for helping me out I always get worried when buying from pet stores

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
Okay perfect ! He did just go through a shed so I just wanted to make sure ! And he’s def much happier since I’ve gotten him he’s such a good baby too , super sweet and we take really good care of him ! Thank u guys for helping me out I always get worried when buying from pet stores
It’s no worries at all, when I first got my beardie I was anxious about everything, but she’s all happy and healthy now. If there is any other concerns you have later on, I promise they are not silly and are completely valid, the entire community here is understanding and helpful ! 🙂

Even though beardies are such common pets, there isn’t always a lot of information or pictures to reference and make a guess on what exactly what’s bothering your pet. So being able to post it here can help you get answers quicker and with a lot less stress ! 😊

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i agree, that does not look like tail rot to me. as mentioned before, that comes from injury. it is common for beardies to have a darker end of the tail, and the color can even change with their moods.

is your vet a reptile vet? the fact they didn't know which it was is concerning to me. if you need to, we have a link to be able to look up good reptile vets in your area. just let us know if you want it.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we drive almost 2 hours one way to get to our vet, but it is worth it! and even better they do birds too, so we take both our boys to the same place at the same time for routine annual check ups.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I lived in portland for about 2 years. I sent ALOT of time at the coast. I absolutely love Oregon, portland not so much lol.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom