Tail rot or kink??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicikai

Original Poster
Hello! I’m new to being a beardie owner and just got my Kaido about a week ago from PetSmart. He’s been doing really well getting acclimated and everything but I just noticed today that there was something wrong with the tip of his tail. It looks as if his tail stopped growing and then grew another one. I did some research and it kind of made me paranoid, especially since it just showed up today. He isn’t aggressive or shown any type of pain or irritation when I touch it…here’s some pictures for reference! Any advice or help is welcomed.
Sincerely, a stressed out beardie mom :(

Attachments

• 6A6BE14A-4F85-4AB4-84FA-7E4778F1AFAD.jpeg
    6A6BE14A-4F85-4AB4-84FA-7E4778F1AFAD.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 30993A73-857D-4EA9-A20A-D47BF15AFFB3.jpeg
    30993A73-857D-4EA9-A20A-D47BF15AFFB3.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 104

jadec19129

Hi! I also adopted a baby beardie from petsmart and he also has that on his tail. I noticed it as soon as I got home and put him in his enclosure. That was about four months ago, he has shown any problems or anything. I assumed since it didn’t shed off when he was shedding then it must of been an injury from when he was with the other babies or it was stuck shed and just developed that way. I’ll show you some pictures of mine so you can see! I know this isn’t very helpful, but I’m hoping to relieve some of your stress because I was stressed out too when I first got him but he’s perfectly fine 😊.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 86

Cicikai

Original Poster
Hi! I also adopted a baby beardie from petsmart and he also has that on his tail. I noticed it as soon as I got home and put him in his enclosure. That was about four months ago, he has shown any problems or anything. I assumed since it didn’t shed off when he was shedding then it must of been an injury from when he was with the other babies or it was stuck shed and just developed that way. I’ll show you some pictures of mine so you can see! I know this isn’t very helpful, but I’m hoping to relieve some of your stress because I was stressed out too when I first got him but he’s perfectly fine 😊.
Oh that looks super similar! That’s actually super helpful! Is it something I should still see a vet about do you think? I just don’t want to wait too long. It hasn’t shown any dark coloration at all. It just looks grey.

jadec19129

Oh that looks super similar! That’s actually super helpful! Is it something I should still see a vet about do you think? I just don’t want to wait too long. It hasn’t shown any dark coloration at all. It just looks grey.

I think if he is overall healthy and not showing any signs that are concerning, you don’t have to. I will say that I am trying to get my beardie and overall check up since he’s been acting a little strange. Since I’m going to the vet anyway I was gonna ask about his tail and see what they say.

Cicikai

Original Poster
I think if he is overall healthy and not showing any signs that are concerning, you don’t have to. I will say that I am trying to get my beardie and overall check up since he’s been acting a little strange. Since I’m going to the vet anyway I was gonna ask about his tail and see what they say
Thank you so much for your advice! Takes a little stress off my shoulders.

Cicikai

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your advice! Takes a little stress off my shoulders.
Update: I made an appointment just in case cause I’m too worried and his tail just doesn’t sit right with me still…

Attachments

• 3F290893-A886-4CCC-A361-665698412306.jpeg
    3F290893-A886-4CCC-A361-665698412306.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 86
  • F9BBD517-1A8C-427D-956D-E585700B3034.jpeg
    F9BBD517-1A8C-427D-956D-E585700B3034.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 84

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

His tail doesn't look infected at all, though it has been injured. It should just dry out & eventually fall off on its own.
It sounds like he is adjusting well to his new home though. Since you are taking him into the vets, you can have
them look the tail over, definitely.
Let us know how things go at the vets.

Tracie

Cicikai

Original Poster
Hello,

His tail doesn't look infected at all, though it has been injured. It should just dry out & eventually fall off on its own.
It sounds like he is adjusting well to his new home though. Since you are taking him into the vets, you can have
them look the tail over, definitely.
Let us know how things go at the vets.

Tracie
Thank you so much for this! His tail did end up falling off just yesterday. I checked on it and it seems to be doing just fine. I put some aquaphor on it (cause it’s what I have at the moment) to make sure it stays moist until I’m able to get Neosporin!
Other than that, he’s eating a LOT and has let me hold him without struggle for the first time :) Still going to the vet for just a general check up and I’ll post an update after that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom