Tail Rot or Just Growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
96772-364497654.jpg
Hello, my name is Maddie and I just joined this site! I got a baby bearded dragon for my birthday this past December (the 6th) of 2017. His name is Delta. Ever since I got him, I’ve noticed the end of his tail. It seems to be getting darker over the course of a month. I’ve read many articles that say it could’ve gotten caught in the lid of his container when we brought him home (even though I didn’t see it).

I’m very worried! It’s probably just me since I’ve never owned a reptile before, but i researched a lot before my parents agreed to get one for me. I’d be glad to list the type of bulbs we use and all that, but for the sake of this long paragraph I’ll keep it short! ? I’ll attach some pictures. Also, he seems extremely healthy according to articles. He has bright eyes, happy colors most of the time, and he eats a lot of greens and veggies.

Like i said, I just joined and I’m still learning! ? I’m not sure if the picture posted, but if it didn’t, I’ll try my best to get it to work.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like Delta is doing very well. :) They do get dark tail ends, sometimes natural color, sometimes going in to shed. Generally a tail that's damaged from a bite or from a lid closing on it will have an indentation.

Madburchell

Original Poster
Thank you so much! Yes, he has been shedding this week. However, just to make sure, I'm gonna post another pic just in case! :) Well- if I could ? How can I add an image to this reply? It just gives me the last photo I posted and idk how to change it!

Thanks!!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, welcome to the forum!!!

As AHBD already mentioned, most all dragons do have a darker colored end to their tails, and if he ever black-beards then their tails also usually turn black at the same time that this happens (just an FYI).

The end of his tail does have a natural, darker coloring to it, which for the most part is normal. The only thing that I can't really tell is on the very tip of his tail it looks like he may have had a little bite or injury at one time, I really can't tell from that photo though whether or not it's still open or if it's actually already dead tissue, but I don't think so, I think it's just a normal, darker tip to the tail.

If you could post a close-up of the very end of his tail we can tell you for sure, but I think it's just fine.

Madburchell

Original Poster
That’s great to hear! Sorry for the wait on responses. Anyways, here’s a closer look at his tail. This certain pic really worries me— I hope it’s just the lighting!

My other post about his tank and light fixtures didn’t post for some reason, I’ll try to fix it!
96772-6031884984.jpg

Madburchell

Original Poster
That’s great to hear!! Thank you both so much for the help, I’ve been worried about this ever since I got him! I plan to post more and keep anyone who’s interested updated ?.

Also, AHBD, would you still like the tank photos? They’d be easy to upload, just wondering ?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, go ahead and post the photos of his tank and lighting. It's a very good idea to get any husbandry issues sorted out now, before they result in any long-term issues...

Madburchell

Original Poster
Got it!

Here’s his tank setup at the moment. As you can see in the second photo, his lamp is about 4 inches above the top of the tank. This is because it nearly melted the plastic!

96772-8688102415.jpg
96772-8776189922.jpg

The lamp fixture is below. I leave both on during the daytime, and turn both off at about 9pm. He usually tells me when he’s sleepy by climbing the top of his little plant. The temperature during the day stays at a steady 85-90 while the nighttime is about 80 or below.

96772-5834073303.jpg
96772-928383456.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
For the lighting part it needs improvement. They can see red light, so its best you get regular heat lamp that isnt colored. Probably a 75 watt flood light may work, either that or a regular reptile bulb.

The uvb is the biggest concern right now that i see, its mounted on top of the mesh, too far to do any good and way to weak as well. Coil/compact bulbs dont work well unless 20+ watts and mounted inside at around 4-6 inches above where the bearded basks. Currently your bearded is getting almost zero uvb which is quite worrying.
Im guessing the tank is a 20 gallon or so, you'll want most likely a reptisun T5 HO 10.0 22" bulb and reflective fixture. If not reptisun, Arcadia makes great bulbs as well and has a higher percentage of uvb for a bulb, around 14% i believe is their highest.
To save money when you have to upgrade to a 40 or 50 gallon your probably better off getting a 34" bulb and reflective fixture so it goes over the whole tank, and then you can still use it if you upgrade to a 75 or so most likely. It'll overlap just a tiny bit on the 20 gallon.

Also if positioned right the fixture should fit pretty well on the warm side, however its possible you may need a single dome rather than a double dome to have everything positioned correctly on there.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Also forgot to mention something else about temps, you want the basking spot up to 100-110, 90 is more of a warm side temp rather than a basking temp. And by warm side temp I mean the area around the basking spot and slightly in the middle.

Basking temp - 100-110, preferably no higher than 110 or 115.
Warm side - 90-95
cool side - 70-85
Night time - 65-85

You also need a new temperature gauge, most likely a temp gun or a digital gauge with a probe. This is because the one you have is only getting air temps and not surface temps, you need the surface temp rather than the air temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom