Tail nip or something worse?

Triogami

Original Poster
Is this tail nip or something worse? He is younger 2-6 months old. To me it seems like tail nip but I'm not sure, any help would be appreciated. Also the dark at the bottom is just shadow.

Triogami

Original Poster
Here, sorry for that.

Attachments

• 20230604_144921.jpg
    20230604_144921.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 60

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How long have you had him? The tail tip definitely got damaged. It looks a bit older though. It will likely fall off. To ward off infection you can put some raw unpasturized honey on it. Just make sure there are no insects left in the tank that would be attracted to the honey and nibble at the tail.

-Brandon

Triogami

Original Poster
How long have you had him? The tail tip definitely got damaged. It looks a bit older though. It will likely fall off. To ward off infection you can put some raw unpasturized honey on it. Just make sure there are no insects left in the tank that would be attracted to the honey and nibble at the tail.

-Brandon
I got him 2 days ago from a breeder/ store owner who is well trusted in my community. When I asked about it he said it was tail nip and not tail rot. He said it should just fall off next shed like you said and heal. He also said his older bearded dragons (which I saw) had the same nip tail and were fine.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tail rot is simply an infection of the tail; which can occur when the tail is damaged and bacteria is allowed to infect the wound. That's what the suggestion of raw unpasteurized honey is for. It's a natural antibiotic and has wound healing properties.

-Brandon

Triogami

Original Poster
Tail rot is simply an infection of the tail; which can occur when the tail is damaged and bacteria is allowed to infect the wound. That's what the suggestion of raw unpasteurized honey is for. It's a natural antibiotic and has wound healing properties.

-Brandon
Will do, thanks for letting me know, for the future how can you tell if something is infected or if it is tail rot. Is this tail rot?

Last edited:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tail rot will look like any other infected wound. The same as if you got a scrape or cut and it became infected. The difference with it happening in beardies tails is that there is not much flesh in the tail, so any infection in the tail can easily start killing all of the flesh in the tail as it eventually starts to work its way up into the deeper and thicker parts of the tail.

In those case, the tail will start becoming darker and black as the flesh dies. Not to be confused with beardies having the natural ability to darken their tails just like they can with their beards and the rest of their body.

Here is an example of tail rot. Note the obvious damage to the flesh compared to the healthy tissue around it. It's not the color of the tail that dictates tailrot, it's the infection and obvious signs outside of the color.

IMG_6177.jpeg

-Brandon

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom