Tail Discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicikai

Original Poster
Hi! I’ve had my beardie Kaido since November and he had a little fall off with the very tip of his tail, took him to the vet, and the vet had said he was perfectly healthy and the tail shouldn’t be an issue.

Now January, I’m noticing his tail having a discoloration. He just shed last week so I’m just a little concerned on what’s going on with his tail and why it looks the way it does. He’s been eating just fine and LOVES his greens and crickets. He just now has been running in circles around his branches and kind of pacing as well as if he got the zoomies.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Attachments

• 777308A9-6648-49C2-AE73-228EA98D9E89.jpeg
    777308A9-6648-49C2-AE73-228EA98D9E89.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DED7142E-FCD7-4D2E-82AD-E185A99D1899.jpeg
    DED7142E-FCD7-4D2E-82AD-E185A99D1899.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 36637679-55DC-4D03-B75A-D290BDD0F3F3.jpeg
    36637679-55DC-4D03-B75A-D290BDD0F3F3.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 77
  • E2AAF585-F31D-4BC3-A1F7-49B611D70832.jpeg
    E2AAF585-F31D-4BC3-A1F7-49B611D70832.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 82

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! I’ve had my beardie Kaido since November and he had a little fall off with the very tip of his tail, took him to the vet, and the vet had said he was perfectly healthy and the tail shouldn’t be an issue.

Now January, I’m noticing his tail having a discoloration. He just shed last week so I’m just a little concerned on what’s going on with his tail and why it looks the way it does. He’s been eating just fine and LOVES his greens and crickets. He just now has been running in circles around his branches and kind of pacing as well as if he got the zoomies.

Can anyone help me figure this out?
Tail is going into shed I dont see any nips bites or injuries - the zoomies sounds like spring fever or it could be temps in the tank or lighting causing this so to be sure first what size tank is he in and what are your basking temps and how are you taking them and your UVB what are you using a coil or a tube ? And please NO colored bulbs

Cicikai

Original Poster
Tail is going into shed I dont see any nips bites or injuries - the zoomies sounds like spring fever or it could be temps in the tank or lighting causing this so to be sure first what size tank is he in and what are your basking temps and how are you taking them and your UVB what are you using a coil or a tube ? And please NO colored bulbs
Hmm as far as shedding, he already fully shed last week.

He also tried a blueberry yesterday as well so I’m not sure if the sugar in that possibly gave him the zoomies??

His tank is a 40 gallon. Basking temp ranges from 90-105 degrees. The bulbs are coils. And I have ZERO colored bulbs. He has a ceramic heat lamp on top in the middle of the cool and basking spot lamps as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hmm as far as shedding, he already fully shed last week.

He also tried a blueberry yesterday as well so I’m not sure if the sugar in that possibly gave him the zoomies??

His tank is a 40 gallon. Basking temp ranges from 90-105 degrees. The bulbs are coils. And I have ZERO colored bulbs. He has a ceramic heat lamp on top in the middle of the cool and basking spot lamps as well.
Ok coil UVB's are inadequate for a UVB infact I would call them health issue starters --- please get rid of it and get a long tube fixture - we can recommend the ones that are really good - I can post links to them - you want a solid CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO Daytime bulbs please there is a coating on them called
Neodymium bulbs the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking instead.
you want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---and yes it was probably the blueberry that gave him the boost of energy they are high in sugar - the CHE is good for night time temps if your tank is falling below 65 - dark and cool but please get rid of the coil UVB

Cicikai

Original Poster
Ok coil UVB's are inadequate for a UVB infact I would call them health issue starters --- please get rid of it and get a long tube fixture - we can recommend the ones that are really good - I can post links to them - you want a solid CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO Daytime bulbs please there is a coating on them called
Neodymium bulbs the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking instead.
you want surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---and yes it was probably the blueberry that gave him the boost of energy they are high in sugar - the CHE is good for night time temps if your tank is falling below 65 - dark and cool but please get rid of the coil UVB
Goooootcha! Thank you so much for that knowledge! I’ll switch them today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom