Swollen vent?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, after he gets his new uvb can you repost pics to show the bulb placement ? BTW, the stickied thread at the top warning against enemas doesn't mean that on very rare occasions they MIGHT be needed in an emergency situation but that's usually if there's a load of sand or such a mass of food that the dragon can't expel it. Your dragon probably doesn't need it and these natural things like pumpkin should be able to help Max to have a b.m. You can also try baby food squash or sweet potato. If Max likes one of those it will help because he'll gulp it down willingly. You can add a drop of honey or unseetened grape juice as well or unsweetened applesauce.

regallymi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Max
O.K, after he gets his new uvb can you repost pics to show the bulb placement ? BTW, the stickied thread at the top warning against enemas doesn't mean that on very rare occasions they MIGHT be needed in an emergency situation but that's usually if there's a load of sand or such a mass of food that the dragon can't expel it. Your dragon probably doesn't need it and these natural things like pumpkin should be able to help Max to have a b.m. You can also try baby food squash or sweet potato. If Max likes one of those it will help because he'll gulp it down willingly. You can add a drop of honey or unseetened grape juice as well or unsweetened applesauce.
Totally will post pictures!

And they have been giving him unsweetened applesauce in between the pumpkin which he eats with gusto! Just gave him some now and he has always preferred fruits so he’s loving that.

And thanks about the note regarding the enema. He’s pooped small amounts since I first posted but nothing fully, so I’m not sure what’s the best course of action to help him have a full bowel movement. Will definitely get some baby food as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? I agree, enemas really are pretty hazardous & we normally do not
recommend them. If they are done improperly, most of the time, they are fatal.
Have you also been bathing him a few times weekly to see if that helps out too? Keep on trying
with the canned pumpkin, sugar free applesauce & a few drops of olive or coconut oil too. He
should eventually pass whatever is blocking him up, through.

Tracie

regallymi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Max
Hello,

How is he doing today? I agree, enemas really are pretty hazardous & we normally do not
recommend them. If they are done improperly, most of the time, they are fatal.
Have you also been bathing him a few times weekly to see if that helps out too? Keep on trying
with the canned pumpkin, sugar free applesauce & a few drops of olive or coconut oil too. He
should eventually pass whatever is blocking him up, through.

Tracie
He’s doing pretty much the same today.

They were doing baths, though not daily. I gave him one last night where he let out some more small poop, so I think I’m going to do baths daily, and with the help of the pumpkin, we should hopefully get more of this poop out of him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He’s doing pretty much the same today.

They were doing baths, though not daily. I gave him one last night where he let out some more small poop, so I think I’m going to do baths daily, and with the help of the pumpkin, we should hopefully get more of this poop out of him.
Has the vent gone down in size?

regallymi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Max

Attachments

• CA41887F-8F07-42ED-887F-6472E24DA8BC.jpeg
    CA41887F-8F07-42ED-887F-6472E24DA8BC.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 88

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think that it may look a bit better right now. How much food is he taking in?
Daily baths are fine for now, to help with these problems. Let him try to swim &
move around for some exercise, too.

Tracie

regallymi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Max
Hello,

I think that it may look a bit better right now. How much food is he taking in?
Daily baths are fine for now, to help with these problems. Let him try to swim &
move around for some exercise, too.

Tracie
He’s taking in 1-2mls of pumpkin, give or take because he doesn’t LOVEEE it.

He’s also eating about a teaspoon to two of unsweetened apples sauce and or a teaspoon of baby food squash.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He doesn't like the pumpkin? Does he likes the unsweetened apple sauce & baby food squash
I hope? How is he doing today?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get some (2) digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps-- your dragon is very skinny and needs correct surface basking temps 95-100 -- what are you using for a UVB all these things I am posting about is crucial for the dragon to get better and be able to digest his food correctly ---- along w/ starting digestion --- please do this as soon as possible --- if hes not eating the pumpkin you feed what Tracie has recommended --- but in order for him to get back to normal please get the things I posted

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today, any improvements thus far? Have you still been able to get some food
into him I hope?
As Karrie has suggested. the heating & lighting is very important for overall health. Are you keeping
him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his immune system, too? Usually around 75-80F overnight
is a comfortable temperature for them. Keep us posted on his condition.

Tracie

regallymi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Max
Hello,

How is your boy doing today, any improvements thus far? Have you still been able to get some food
into him I hope?
As Karrie has suggested. the heating & lighting is very important for overall health. Are you keeping
him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his immune system, too? Usually around 75-80F overnight
is a comfortable temperature for them. Keep us posted on his condition.

Tracie
So sorry for taking so long to update.

I had gotten the new lighting, but unfortunately Max developed more issues in spite of that.

He had a rectum prolapse. They sutured, but Max was not able to pass anything with the sutures in, so they took them out, and they he prolapsed again.

The vet suggested that we euthanize, because according to her, there was no fixing the prolapse and it would continue happening. I took him to get a second opinion on Wednesday (this all happened Monday and Tuesday), and they said the same thing.

Max was clearly uncomfortable and I didn’t want him to suffer, so my sister and I elected to put him down.

He was the sweetest thing and I really thank you guys for your help and suggestions. I wish this was something I had known sooner so things could have been different for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So sorry for taking so long to update.

I had gotten the new lighting, but unfortunately Max developed more issues in spite of that.

He had a rectum prolapse. They sutured, but Max was not able to pass anything with the sutures in, so they took them out, and they he prolapsed again.

The vet suggested that we euthanize, because according to her, there was no fixing the prolapse and it would continue happening. I took him to get a second opinion on Wednesday (this all happened Monday and Tuesday), and they said the same thing.

Max was clearly uncomfortable and I didn’t want him to suffer, so my sister and I elected to put him down.

He was the sweetest thing and I really thank you guys for your help and suggestions. I wish this was something I had known sooner so things could have been different for him.
That is terrible -- I am so sorry to hear about this---- please get your lighting fixed before getting another one --- it is hard to lose them and yes they are very sweet creatures and totally rely on us to give them proper care -- again I am so sorry to hear about Max --- please if you or your sister need any more help in the future please come back here and ask --- there are plenty on this forum that are willing to help -- :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry about you losing Max like that, how awful!:cry:
It sounds like there was some damage involved & I agree that oftentimes, it is virtually impossible to
fix it & keep it from happening again.
My condolences for you.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom