Swollen eye with possible shed(?)

anlieb02

Beardie name(s)
Demy
My beardie came out of her cave this afternoon and her eye was swollen and she can open it but it seems painful and is watering alot, just tears no colored discharge. The tears started a few days ago and I tried saline drops and it seemed like it was getting better until i saw she couldnt open it very well. She also has some white patches that appeared almost a week ago on her backend over part of her tail and hind legs as well as the right side of her face and foot, left side is clear. I thought it was shed so I've been bathing her every other day but it doesn't seem to be loosening or changing appearance, just spreading. Her appetite and activity level haven't changed either. I have a vet appt for next Wednesday but I'm worried about waiting that long in case it's something more serious. She's 9 1/2 but I've never experience eye issues with her before so this is new territory for me. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220727_165814.jpg
    20220727_165814.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 379
  • 20220727_165814.jpg
    20220727_165814.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220727_165744.jpg
    20220727_165744.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220727_165907.jpg
    20220727_165907.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220727_165712.jpg
    20220727_165712.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie came out of her cave this afternoon and her eye was swollen and she can open it but it seems painful and is watering alot, just tears no colored discharge. The tears started a few days ago and I tried saline drops and it seemed like it was getting better until i saw she couldnt open it very well. She also has some white patches that appeared almost a week ago on her backend over part of her tail and hind legs as well as the right side of her face and foot, left side is clear. I thought it was shed so I've been bathing her every other day but it doesn't seem to be loosening or changing appearance, just spreading. Her appetite and activity level haven't changed either. I have a vet appt for next Wednesday but I'm worried about waiting that long in case it's something more serious. She's 9 1/2 but I've never experience eye issues with her before so this is new territory for me. Any help would be appreciated!
What kind of UVB are you using ? coil or a long tube fixture--- what kind of basking bulb? Any colored bulbs at all? I was looking at the substrate but that appears to be a carpet so that wouldnt be something loose that had gotten in it

anlieb02

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Demy
What kind of UVB are you using ? coil or a long tube fixture--- what kind of basking bulb? Any colored bulbs at all? I was looking at the substrate but that appears to be a carpet so that wouldnt be something loose that had gotten in it
Long tube fixture. I have a 100W (I believe) basking light in a dome lamp and a ceramic bulb that I don't remember the specs on. I also have a small 60W light on the cool side because the temp was alittle low on that side. No colored bulbs after I read they could be bad for them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Long tube fixture. I have a 100W (I believe) basking light in a dome lamp and a ceramic bulb that I don't remember the specs on. I also have a small 60W light on the cool side because the temp was alittle low on that side. No colored bulbs after I read they could be bad for them.
What brand and bulb is the uvb please? Your screen will determine where the uvb should be placed- is your basking bulb a daytime bulb or off white or yellowish

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's Zilla. Yes it's an off white yellowish color.
Ok so its a T 8 correct? Please change the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 it needs to be unobstructed w/ no screen - please place it directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- I would recommend upgrading to a 24" Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - you can find that fixture at a PetSmart -- also please change out the basking bulb for one of these Flukers -- Zoo Med Reptibasking --Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen --- the basking bulb could be the cause of the swollen eye --- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb -- shed can cause swollen eyes but hers looks different from a shedding issue and more of a lighting issue w/ the watering --- please make the adjustments and see how it goes

anlieb02

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Demy
Ok so its a T 8 correct? Please change the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 it needs to be unobstructed w/ no screen - please place it directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches --- I would recommend upgrading to a 24" Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - you can find that fixture at a PetSmart -- also please change out the basking bulb for one of these Flukers -- Zoo Med Reptibasking --Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen --- the basking bulb could be the cause of the swollen eye --- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb -- shed can cause swollen eyes but hers looks different from a shedding issue and more of a lighting issue w/ the watering --- please make the adjustments and see how it goes
Ok I'll try that. I used to use one that was unobstructed but it broke last month and when I went to buy a new one, they only had these 🤦‍♀️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I'll try that. I used to use one that was unobstructed but it broke last month and when I went to buy a new one, they only had these 🤦‍♀️
Ok please get the bulbs changed and the placement and distance adjusted and watch the eye

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom