Swollen eye sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
We rescued Angel last March, she'd never had any UVB light & had severe MBD as a result. With advice from moderators on this forum (we just love this forum), and advice from our vet, we started Angel with liquid calcium and chicken & veg baby food; within a week she was eating supers and salad and started gaining weight. I also gave her a daily bath & encouraged her to try to jump out of the sink, resulting in stronger muscles to support her soft bones. She could only walk by shuffling along, her back legs & joints had no strength. Within 2 months she was running around our living room (We have 5 other beardies; our apartment is completely beardie-proofed) & we were amazed at her progress & so was our vet. Everything went well until we got to this winter, she had started a shed last September, then stopped eating and only wanted to sleep. I wasn't sure if this was a good idea, so only let her sleep a few days in a row, then got her up, realized how weak she'd gotten, so started to feed her babyfood and regular squash and resumed her liquid calcium again. She got better, except her eye sockets started to swell. I realized she was trying to shed her eyelids, which she did, yet her eye sockets were again swollen today. Her eyes tear up and she looks miserable. Does anyone know what this is about? We're taking her to the vet soon, but wanted to know if anyone else has ever come across this? Here are some pics:

sweetie2008423.jpg

sweetie2008422.jpg

Thanks for any help. The weird thing is within a couple of days the swelling goes down and her eyes are normal:

sweetie2008164.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Deborah have you asked Tracie? It looks like she has some sort of eye infection to me. I did have a beardie that would get eye infections and that is the way her's would look. Poor Angel she looks so miserable. :cry:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Do you think so, Barbara, we all thought it was due to shed. We're trying to get her into the vet asap, but she gets really booked up and she's only in a few days a week. I'll call in the am, see if we can get her in right away. I've been very worried, but that makes the most sense. I'll pm Tracie, too, to see if she thinks the same thing. The odd part is her eyes will go right back to normal, then a couple of weeks later it flares up again. Does that sound familiar, too? I also added some pics from the last two weeks on Angel's thread. Let me know what you think.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Missy's the beardie that use to get the eye infections her's would come and go too...until we finally got her a prescription eye drop...that did the trick because they never came back.

I'll go take a look.... :wink:

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Aww, it's happening again. Poor baby. I have used an OTC antibiotic drop called Optimyxin on my beardies when they have eye troubles. You have to ask the pharmacist for it, but don't need a prescription. However, that only helps if it's an infection. It seems weird that it would clear up on it's own after a couple of days if it was an infection. Is there any way you can get the fluid that comes from her eyes cultured to see what's going on?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I sent the pics to Tracie to get her opinion, I think it's strange, too, that it comes and goes. I'm calling our vet in the am anyway to get an appt. I'll see how she is tomorrow and I'll let you know. Thanks for the name of the drops, maybe that will do the trick, but don't want to put anything in her eyes until she sees the vet. We were going to take her last time but her eyes were back to her normal within a couple of days. Hopefully they won't be so swollen tomorrow as it can take a few days to get in to see our vet. I also added 24 pics to her thread, all taken within the last 2 weeks, you can see the difference in her eyes as time goes by.

Deb and Angel

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Aww... poor Angel :( Her eyes look so swollen in that pic.
I wonder because it comes and goes, could it maybe be an allergy of sorts?
I hope the vet is able to give you an idea of what is going on.
Hope Angel gets to feeling better soon!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Dawn, she woke up the same, so will be calling the vet this am to see if we can get her in right away. I'll keep you posted. I posted 24 pics of Angel on her thread in Rescue, all before her eye socket got swollen again. It's so random, sometimes it goes away right away & other times, like this time, they stay swollen for awhile.

Deb & Angel

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are some swollen eyes for sure.
It is either an eye infection, a respiratory issue causing the eye problems, or a renal or heart problem causing increased water retention & or pressure in the cirulatory system.
Is she eating well?
I agree, an eye culture would be helpful in determining whether or not it is a specific eye problem or it is something else, internal.

Tracie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Tracie, I've got a call in to our vet, she's not in the office today. The receptionist said she'd give her the message & have her call back. I'm hoping we can get Angel in right away. It's so strange that her eyes were normal for 2 weeks, then she woke up 2 days ago with the swollen eye sockets. She's eating ok and drinking lots of water. I'll let you know what the vet has to say, I think it's an eye infection.

Deb

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Deb! How is Angel doing today? Were you able to get her into see the vet yet?
I hope her eyes are feeling better.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Dawn, she's not much better & we did get an appointment with the vet tomorrow at 11:30 am. Poor thing is so miserable and hardly has any energy. If you check out her thread in Beardie Rescue, I loaded 24 pics and you can see that her eye sockets were sometimes normal & sometimes swollen. This has been going on for awhile, but the first 2 times, all the swelling disappeared within a day, and we really thought it was retained shed. Now I'm more inclined to think it's an infection. Hopefully the vet can give us some drops to help her. I've been feeding her thin pieces of butternut squash & chicken w/veg babyfood. Her poops are usually well formed, but today she had the runs. Poor girl. I'll let you all know what the vet says when I get home from the vet tomorrow. Luckily we have an exotic animal vet close to home, she's treated Angel before for parasite; she's also seen Sweetie, Lonzo & Issy, so we trust her judgement. When we took Angel in last summer, she was very impressed at how well she was doing. We're taking Rubio in at the same time (we get a discount if we bring in more than 1 beardie), as he has a growth over his left ear that's been slowly growing. Hoping it's nothing serious.

Deb and Angel

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Lance, I sure hope it's nothing serious. Angel has had a hard life, so I don't want her to be in anymore pain. She's such a fiesty beardie, usually bouncing around, so it's really hard to watch her suffering like this. She's been cuddled alot the last few days.

Deb and Angel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom