Swollen arm

JS0104

Original Poster
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help, noticed my beardie’s arm is swollen and he is moving around but doesn’t seem too confident on that leg and has been flicking it? He lets me pick him up and doesn’t seem stressed but it looks huge compared to his other legs? If anyone has any advice that’ll be amazing 🙏 I’ll attach pictures of both legs so you can see the difference but it’s swollen around his elbow area☹️
1E08A0B8-0065-4A10-857D-B0CFBE3B0973.jpeg
A00CA9C0-5B2C-4782-82C6-6A55376AC207.jpeg
82F6CE7B-0EF6-4E19-B246-05587B9ADE38.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help, noticed my beardie’s arm is swollen and he is moving around but doesn’t seem too confident on that leg and has been flicking it? He lets me pick him up and doesn’t seem stressed but it looks huge compared to his other legs? If anyone has any advice that’ll be amazing 🙏 I’ll attach pictures of both legs so you can see the difference but it’s swollen around his elbow area☹️ View attachment 68795 View attachment 68796 View attachment 68797
Has he recently fallen to injure himself ? Does he have a hammock in the tank? If so is it a mesh one? Can you post a pic of the front of him w/ the front legs so we can see the difference in the legs please-- your UVB in the tank is it a coil or a long tube fixture? And what are you feeding for insects?

JS0104

Original Poster
Has he recently fallen to injure himself ? Does he have a hammock in the tank? If so is it a mesh one? Can you post a pic of the front of him w/ the front legs so we can see the difference in the legs please-- your UVB in the tank is it a coil or a long tube fixture? And what are you feeding for insects?
Not that I know of he doesn’t have hammocks only wood but it’s not high up enough for him to jump and fall to hurt himself, he had a basking bulb and long tube uvb, he has crickets and hoppers. I’ll attach some more pictures it’s hard to see on pictures but it looks a lot bigger in person. He has calcium powder on his food daily but I’m proper worried now. He’s actually moving a lot and eating and pooping
F4469390-3BF9-45CF-BF09-EBBDBC7ACF42.jpeg
EFB35543-BD45-48FE-B694-ED6CAF3DAAA6.jpeg
C6B702CB-97F3-4A38-9737-F87A42EF1EC2.jpeg
3CEE9798-A893-4D0D-8E05-CA0AD8E20E6E.jpeg
A8809E0C-AF44-423D-9AC4-BCFD2D78159E.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not that I know of he doesn’t have hammocks only wood but it’s not high up enough for him to jump and fall to hurt himself, he had a basking bulb and long tube uvb, he has crickets and hoppers. I’ll attach some more pictures it’s hard to see on pictures but it looks a lot bigger in person. He has calcium powder on his food daily but I’m proper worried now. He’s actually moving a lot and eating and pooping View attachment 68856 View attachment 68857 View attachment 68858 View attachment 68859 View attachment 68860
Ok so please go over the diet your feeding and his basking surface temps - those should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 95-100 and his UVB this is extremely important - brand and bulb please and where in the tank is it? Its possible it could be gout but the only way to determine that a blood test would need to be done to test for levels of uric acid-- lets get the lighting out of the way first and his temps -- those are going to play a huge role in the healing of the dragon

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hello,

From the looks of it, it does look very swollen. I agree what is his diet and temps. It also looks a little red in the picture. Has you taken him out and left him alone for a minute? He may fallen and injured himself.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long has the swelling been present? We do need to review your tank setup just so we can be sure that your
UVB lighting is optimal for him to be able to absorb his calcium & vitamins, etc.
It actually looks as though he might be developing gout. What is his age? The calcium you are giving him, does it
have vitamin D3 or is it a plain calcium? How many insects do you give daily/weekly?
You could be proactive & begin giving him some black or tart cherry juice extract, to help start flushing out his kidneys
in case he is developing gout.

Tracie

JS0104

Original Poster
Hi thank you everyone for responding,

I’ll attach pictures of his set up and the bulbs I use, also the calcium powder i use. He has 5 bugs in the morning then 5 a night, sometimes he has cricket or hoppers. I only dust his morning bugs with calci powder. I give him watercress daily because that’s the only veg he will eat. He is moving round and he’s happy eating and been pooping daily, I’ve taken him out and he lets me touch it and doesn’t stress out. He’s about 10 months old, I haven’t got nothing high up for him to jump off. He doesn’t glass surf either. His basking area is always 38-40 degrees, and his cool side is between 24-27 degrees. I spray him every few hours in the day to keep him hydrated, he has baths.

Thank you everyone I appreciate any help🥰
97FB0869-DEC3-4F3C-8AC7-FA70298933C1.jpeg
188B3015-A2C3-4439-B818-810B3143B825.jpeg
42DF5F96-8562-4798-AB90-9E5C0FCBFF7D.jpeg
1381F3E3-C6B1-4F47-87A5-B719458CDF40.jpeg
FB035E99-6DC7-490E-AEDF-B369C825F14C.jpeg
717CB8D9-0FC0-4F0D-9AD1-B068B1AFA59A.jpeg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi thank you everyone for responding,

I’ll attach pictures of his set up and the bulbs I use, also the calcium powder i use. He has 5 bugs in the morning then 5 a night, sometimes he has cricket or hoppers. I only dust his morning bugs with calci powder. I give him watercress daily because that’s the only veg he will eat. He is moving round and he’s happy eating and been pooping daily, I’ve taken him out and he lets me touch it and doesn’t stress out. He’s about 10 months old, I haven’t got nothing high up for him to jump off. He doesn’t glass surf either. His basking area is always 38-40 degrees, and his cool side is between 24-27 degrees. I spray him every few hours in the day to keep him hydrated, he has baths.

Thank you everyone I appreciate any help🥰 View attachment 68888 View attachment 68887 View attachment 68886 View attachment 68885 View attachment 68889 View attachment 68890
Please get a reflector on your UVB --- as of this time hes getting very little to none w/ no reflector and this could be the cause for the swelling - along w/ a hammock I am seeing -- he could of gotten his nail caught in it thus pulling and spraining it - the UVB bulb I would recommend getting a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb as long as you have distance in the tank for 12-15 inches -- if you do not then get a 10% bulb that would be a T 8 - distance for those would be 6-8 inches both bulbs directly above the basking decor -- both bulbs have certain replacement times T 8's 6 months I recommend 5 and the T 5's or 12% one year I recommend changing them out one month prior to

JS0104

Original Poster
Please get a reflector on your UVB --- as of this time hes getting very little to none w/ no reflector and this could be the cause for the swelling - along w/ a hammock I am seeing -- he could of gotten his nail caught in it thus pulling and spraining it - the UVB bulb I would recommend getting a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb as long as you have distance in the tank for 12-15 inches -- if you do not then get a 10% bulb that would be a T 8 - distance for those would be 6-8 inches both bulbs directly above the basking decor -- both bulbs have certain replacement times T 8's 6 months I recommend 5 and the T 5's or 12% one year I recommend changing them out one month prior to
He hasn’t got a hammock it’s just flat against the glass for him to climb, I only changed bulbs 3 weeks ago. I have the 10% bulb already. Booked him with a vet tomorrow just incase, so will post what answers I get tomorrow incase others experience same issues

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What brand of UVB are you using? As Karrie suggested, getting a tube light fixture would greatly
help with directing the UVB downward toward your dragon more. The swelling looks suspicious to
me, like possible gout since the elbow is swollen to some extent. If he didn't hurt himself, there are
not many other scenarios it could be.
How did the vet visit go, what type of tests did he run?

Tracie

JS0104

Original Poster
Hello,

What brand of UVB are you using? As Karrie suggested, getting a tube light fixture would greatly
help with directing the UVB downward toward your dragon more. The swelling looks suspicious to
me, like possible gout since the elbow is swollen to some extent. If he didn't hurt himself, there are
not many other scenarios it could be.
How did the vet visit go, what type of tests did he run?

Tracie
Hey so he has articular gout, so they done x-rays and tried draining his arm but the fluid is super thick so they couldn’t get much out. He’s got meds now I have to give daily and got to reduce his protein and bath him daily to keep him hydrated. Apparently isn’t a quick fix so just gotta persevere

JS0104

Original Poster
So my Beardie has been on meds now for few weeks but his gout is getting worse these medicines arent working that the vet has prescribed and I can’t face getting him put to sleep he is not even 1 years old yet. Im thinking of investing in the black cherry extract but I’m wondering what the dosage would be? I’ll attach a photo of his arm but it’s pretty extreme, it’s only in one arm currently but personally think the meds have made it worse. He’s been in the vets for 2 full days last week on fluids but I think his arm may be swollen more so as they’ve been injecting him. I feel so hopeless and guilty I just can’t face putting him to sleep so any advice on this black cherry extract I’ll be so appreciative, it’s kinda my last resort now☹️

The vet done X-rays which was fine and also done ultrasound on him and there was nothing to say anything was wrong with his kidneys. His heartbeat was perfect too…

He is eating, I’ve reduced his protein intake, he has baths twice daily, I’ve increased his fruit and veg intake. He also walks on it, he’s quite active tbh. But as you’ll see from the picture and previous pictures it has escalated super quick💔
C5726F43-F4C1-4C9F-A66C-39EA5BFE3945.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So my Beardie has been on meds now for few weeks but his gout is getting worse these medicines arent working that the vet has prescribed and I can’t face getting him put to sleep he is not even 1 years old yet. Im thinking of investing in the black cherry extract but I’m wondering what the dosage would be? I’ll attach a photo of his arm but it’s pretty extreme, it’s only in one arm currently but personally think the meds have made it worse. He’s been in the vets for 2 full days last week on fluids but I think his arm may be swollen more so as they’ve been injecting him. I feel so hopeless and guilty I just can’t face putting him to sleep so any advice on this black cherry extract I’ll be so appreciative, it’s kinda my last resort now☹️

The vet done X-rays which was fine and also done ultrasound on him and there was nothing to say anything was wrong with his kidneys. His heartbeat was perfect too…

He is eating, I’ve reduced his protein intake, he has baths twice daily, I’ve increased his fruit and veg intake. He also walks on it, he’s quite active tbh. But as you’ll see from the picture and previous pictures it has escalated super quick💔
View attachment 69558
ouchie! Please tell me what UVB your using and where in the tank it is? This is crucial for the dragon to help w/ the gout-- I scrolled up and its either a Thrive or a Arcadia I cant find the brand - please tell me so I can recommend a good bulb for you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you in the UK? If so here are two websites for the fixture you need -- you want a hood w/ a reflector --
Is the tank 18" high or higher ?

JS0104

Original Poster
Are you in the UK? If so here are two websites for the fixture you need -- you want a hood w/ a reflector --
Is the tank 18" high or higher ?
Yes I’m in the UK, they’re the exact bulbs I have at the moment, I got the reflector the bulb is fairly new I got it in February, it’s located only half across the tank so it’s 4ft long tank.. the height it about 21 inches but he has pieces of wood he can climb to get closer, he’s been really active but that’ll be down to the painkillers, just want to find other solutions, is the black cherry worth trying?☹️

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom