Switching Substrate

bleav913

Hi everyone!

I got my beardie a week ago today and it was very stressful for him, but he seems to be doing much better. In the last 2 days, it seems he’s started shedding so I’m assuming that’s what’s leading to lots of daytime sleeping and lack of appetite.

I got him from a personal sale so I kept his original tank and setup although he has a loose substrate. I’d like to switch it to the ‘Exo Terra Sand Mat Desert Terrarium Substrate’ for his health (so he isn’t ingesting anything) and to help keep his tank a bit cleaner, but I held off as he was already so stressed with the move. His tank is cleaned out once a a day but definitely can’t do the deep clean it needs with the substrate that’s currently in it.

*Just wondering if you guys have any advice on the best ways to switch out the substrate or maybe even some substrate suggestions!*

I want to make it as least stressful as possible for him, especially since he’s now begun shedding and hasn’t fully acclimated to the move yet. He’s spent some time out of his tank in a closed on area with supervision and seemed to love it and didn’t want to go back in, but he’s particularly angsty about being held right now (I’m assuming because of shedding). I will also attempt to give him a bath today so I can maybe have someone watch him while I clean out his tank during that as well depending on how the bath is going.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome! Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 8A4FF99B-C62B-4268-9F43-E0F6AF46102E.jpeg
    8A4FF99B-C62B-4268-9F43-E0F6AF46102E.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone!

I got my beardie a week ago today and it was very stressful for him, but he seems to be doing much better. In the last 2 days, it seems he’s started shedding so I’m assuming that’s what’s leading to lots of daytime sleeping and lack of appetite.

I got him from a personal sale so I kept his original tank and setup although he has a loose substrate. I’d like to switch it to the ‘Exo Terra Sand Mat Desert Terrarium Substrate’ for his health (so he isn’t ingesting anything) and to help keep his tank a bit cleaner, but I held off as he was already so stressed with the move. His tank is cleaned out once a a day but definitely can’t do the deep clean it needs with the substrate that’s currently in it.

*Just wondering if you guys have any advice on the best ways to switch out the substrate or maybe even some substrate suggestions!*

I want to make it as least stressful as possible for him, especially since he’s now begun shedding and hasn’t fully acclimated to the move yet. He’s spent some time out of his tank in a closed on area with supervision and seemed to love it and didn’t want to go back in, but he’s particularly angsty about being held right now (I’m assuming because of shedding). I will also attempt to give him a bath today so I can maybe have someone watch him while I clean out his tank during that as well depending on how the bath is going.

Any advice or thoughts are welcome! Thank you!
Sand mats are expensive and hard to clean - I would go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at Walmart or your local home improvement store- or slated ceramic tile but I would do that if he's in his permanent home- adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank- have more questions about the tile please ask-- your uvb your using is a long tube fixture? If not and it's a coil please replace w/ a long tube fixture-- I can post links for those - basking temps should be surface basking temps and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100

bleav913

Original Poster
Sand mats are expensive and hard to clean - I would go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at Walmart or your local home improvement store- or slated ceramic tile but I would do that if he's in his permanent home- adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon tank- have more questions about the tile please ask-- your uvb your using is a long tube fixture? If not and it's a coil please replace w/ a long tube fixture-- I can post links for those - basking temps should be surface basking temps and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- 95-100
It’s a long tube fixture for the UVB, yes. I was able to get the sand mat in which is okay for now since it’s for sure better than what he had in before. He’s 9 months right now so I’m planning on upgrading his tank soon (hopefully with a side opening) so I’ll definitely look into that for his next tank! Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a long tube fixture for the UVB, yes. I was able to get the sand mat in which is okay for now since it’s for sure better than what he had in before. He’s 9 months right now so I’m planning on upgrading his tank soon (hopefully with a side opening) so I’ll definitely look into that for his next tank! Thank you!
Your uvb is brand and bulb? Where in the tank inside and or top of screen? Distance and placement is critical - also these bulbs have expiration dates on them - you said you acquired him?

bleav913

Original Poster
Your uvb is brand and bulb? Where in the tank inside and or top of screen? Distance and placement is critical - also these bulbs have expiration dates on them - you said you acquired him?
Yes, but I JUST bought brand new everything. It’s a terrarium hood T8 with a bulb which I know needs to be mounted on the inside which I’m in the process of doing today as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, but I JUST bought brand new everything. It’s a terrarium hood T8 with a bulb which I know needs to be mounted on the inside which I’m in the process of doing today as well.
Ok good so the T 8 is good and it's good your getting it in the tank no cover over the bulb and it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor what brand please? He's going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but good surface basking temps and good uvb will help him acclimate to the tank - your substrate is not going to make a difference I would get it changed out -

bleav913

Original Poster
Ok good so the T 8 is good and it's good your getting it in the tank no cover over the bulb and it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor what brand please? He's going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but good surface basking temps and good uvb will help him acclimate to the tank - your substrate is not going to make a difference I would get it changed out -
Hi thank you. He actually passed away Sunday evening, vet said he had a pre-existing illness his past owner either didn’t tell me about or didn’ know about. :( He was doing significantly better in the time leading up to his sudden death, even on the day of.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi thank you. He actually passed away Sunday evening, vet said he had a pre-existing illness his past owner either didn’t tell me about or didn’ know about. :( He was doing significantly better in the time leading up to his sudden death, even on the day of.
Wow- I am so sorry to hear that- did the vet say what the pre existing illness was?

bleav913

Original Poster
Some sort of respiratory ilness. His past owner had sand and mossy substrate. I switched it as soon as I could to try and not add to relocation stress. His signs of sickness were confused with relocation stress and then he had a couple days leading up to his death where he was doing fantastic and very happy and looked healthy and was active. And then dropped out of nowhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom