Switching Substrate

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
Hi, I just learned the dangers of walnut shells and wanted to switch to the bio dude terra sahara. I bought enough to fill the bottom of my 90 gallon, the bottom is the size of a 75. I did not know this was a living substrate, do I have to do the bio activeness of it? Like with the springtails and everything else or can I just leave it dry? Also where can I find all the other stuff to get started, I have it all on amazon or bio dudes website but don't know if there is a better source, if the living stuff is required.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, I just learned the dangers of walnut shells and wanted to switch to the bio dude terra sahara. I bought enough to fill the bottom of my 90 gallon, the bottom is the size of a 75. I did not know this was a living substrate, do I have to do the bio activeness of it? Like with the springtails and everything else or can I just leave it dry? Also where can I find all the other stuff to get started, I have it all on amazon or bio dudes website but don't know if there is a better source, if the living stuff is required.
@AHBD

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you have the space, it's probably worth the effort of getting the bioactive system set up. They work pretty well once they are up and running. You will need to pick up the bugs for it and create drainage layers etc. Biodude is a pretty reputable source for that, so I'd probably get the supplies there and follow the guides and see how it turns out. If you use the substrate without configuring the bioactive environment, I'd imagine that it will eventually just get kind of messy/smelly and need to be replaced.

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
Thank you all for the help, for now we are not going to make it bioactive, but maybe we will eventually after we replace this substrate or before it gets soiled.

FatalTrip

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Julian
If you have the space, it's probably worth the effort of getting the bioactive system set up. They work pretty well once they are up and running. You will need to pick up the bugs for it and create drainage layers etc. Biodude is a pretty reputable source for that, so I'd probably get the supplies there and follow the guides and see how it turns out. If you use the substrate without configuring the bioactive environment, I'd imagine that it will eventually just get kind of messy/smelly and need to be replaced.
Hi, we are trying to get prepared for bioactive. Would we need those balls/rocks to create a false bottom for water before making it bioactive for a beardy or is it not needed for arid/dry bioactive setups where you are not supposed to keep the top wet and only keep the middle wet/moist.
EDIT: Also, with something to catch water, would landscape fabric work as a barrier to keep the substrate from getting into the drainage layer of the clay balls.
EDIT 2: I just read on biodude, drainage layers are not needed in Terra Sahara Bioactive setups, just want to confirm, is this correct?

Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a couple of years old now, but I suggest having a look at this thread. It has some photos and discusses what was used to build one example of a bioactive setup which may be helpful Lunatic "Luna" the beardie | Enclosures | Bearded Dragon .org

This guide was put together by a forum member with quite a bit of experience with bioactive setups. It doesn't mention a drainage layer, but rather incorporating some moss and palm bark with the Terra Sahara, so I think you're right on that. Detailed guide for bioactive terrariums. | Lighting/Enclosures | Bearded Dragon .org

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom