Switching from a juvenile to an adult diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitsune

92564-1886422457.jpg

This is Pooka, my female bearded dragon. I've had her since August and recently she turned one year old. She's gone from 8 grams when I got her to over 350! She's about 14ish inches long. Not sure if this will be her full grown size or if she has more growing to do.

Right now she gets daily feedings of greens in the morning (collard/dandelion/whatever else I can find), and then dubias in the evening.

At what point should I start moving her over to an adult diet of mostly veggies? Should I do it all at once, or gradually? For example, should I start with 6 days of greens/bugs and one day of greens only, and then very slowly increase it so that bugs are 20% of her diet?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
This should help out a bit, I usually feed the 12-20 month feeding schedule until they reach 18 months where i then feed insects every other day, and then at 20 or 24 months I go down to twice a week.

This is just a little feeding guide.
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

And then what I go by with ages.
1-4 Month beardie is a baby bearded dragon.
4-12 months is a juvenile.
12-24 Months is a sub-adult or yearling.
And then 24+ Months is a Adult.

You dragon seems to be a bit small length wise but she probably has a bit more growing to do.

Kitsune

Original Poster
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the detailed reply!

I was told by the breeder that hatchlings from the pairing she's from are often around 17 inches. I'm hoping she'll pick up a little more length.

You can't see it in the picture I posted, but she has a slight kink her in tail (picture below). It's been like that ever since I've had her, and I assume a sibling bit it. I wonder if she'd have a teeny bit more length were it not for that?

92564-9345679227.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom