Swallowing waxworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Hello,

Ollie swallowed about 5 waxworms tonight out of around 13. He'll stick his tongue out and then just won't chew it, which leads me to believe that he is swallowing them. After he 'swallows' them, his sides go in and out rather heavily. I guess this is because he is swallowing them, but I'm not 100% sure. This goes on for a minute or so and it's back to normal.

What kind of health problems could this cause? Impaction? How can I prevent him from swallowing them? I don't have a video to provide you all with, but when he goes for a waxworm, once it is in his mouth he'll kind of just stare at the spot it was in, then pull his head up like nothing happened.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot of dragons tend to not chew up some of the smaller, softer worms all of the time. They may come out whole, not sure.
Do you feed them just one at a time?
It is highly doubtful though that he will become impacted from them, they are pretty soft bodied.
How old is Ollie?

Tracie

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi,

Ollie is 6 years old now, and the waxworms were not necessarily small. I usually feed him around 12, once at a time.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Eh, don't worry about it. Tsam did the same thing a while back, but with about a dozen morio worms - much bigger, and crunchier.

He was very happy - though I wouldn't normally recommend feeding in that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom