Surgery for my Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!! This is my girl Snow. We got her in February from our vet tech who needed to revoke her since she wasno longer able to spend time with her like she wanted to. Well said she was in good health and seemed to be doing great until the last month or so. She hasn’t really been wanting to eat much at all and she is really lazy. So naturally we scheduled her an appointment for her first vet visit, my first as well with an exotic. The vet had awesome reviews and many recommendations. However, the results of the visit we very saddening. Apparently my girl has what doc believes to be either calcified eggs or calcification of her ovaries. It may possibly even be both. So after spending a ton, close to $1000 on her set up and over $200 on the first visit they’re quoting about $800 for the surgery. Let me first state that price isn’t my concern here. I’m just looking to do what is best for my girl and want to be sure this is it. Has anyone else here gone through this? I have her X-ray pic also but can’t seem to attach it here.
Any help, experiences, or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!! TIA

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH goodness, that is too bad. I am sorry she has egg issues, that is pretty common. Did
you try attaching or posting pictures using the XIMG to upload images to the Image Gallery?
Then, copy/paste the pictures or IMG which you can download them onto here. If you still
have trouble, let us know. I can have you send them to my email.
Since she was rehomed to you she has likely had problems before you got her.
Has she exhibited any egg laying behavior like digging, or looking for anywhere to dig or has
she been restless at all?

Tracie

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
Okay I think I got it to post the image of her X-ray.

As for digging no she really hasn’t been. She did once in her water last week I went and got play sand and made a lay bin and put her in and she just stood there with this look like “Why am I in here.” Lol

She has been really lazy and won’t eat much she’s had a few strawberry’s. After trying to get her to eat her roaches for 30 minutes which she refused to eat I finally caved and gave her supers and she ate about 8 of those with no issues.

I did just send in her stool sample yesterday and when she went she seemed to strain a bit and there was a reddish liquid in the white part. I’m hoping to get those results back soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I don't see anything out of the ordinary there. Snow is a big girl and is quite obese. Sadly, some owners think fat = healthy but it' not true in humans or any animals. A very overweight dragon will can lose it's appetite or just get picky and wait for it's favorite food. She refused the dubia but went for the fattier superworms so she is just doing what she wants. Cut way back on the superworms, let her wait for the dubia and offer greens like kale, turnip, collards, mustard as well as squash . You can give her 2-3 supers at a time if she won't eat for 4-5 days . She may have fatty liver now or may develop it. Did the vet take bloodtest ? They should se if the liver enzymes are elevated. But for now it seems her lethargy + lack of appetite is related to her being overweight. BTW, beardie eggs usually show up quite well on xrays like this :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Ffigure%2FTotal-body-dorso-ventral-radiograph-of-the-bearded-dragon-Pogona-vitticeps-show-14_fig1_331501379&psig=AOvVaw1jaGp1b4-KhO1bIOFGeCqj&ust=1619613042298000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjo3t_xtp7wAhWBtVMKHW-pAu8Qr4kDegUIARCwAQ

MyBabyFaith

Original Poster
AHBD":394wyb9p said:
Hi there, I don't see anything out of the ordinary there. Snow is a big girl and is quite obese. Sadly, some owners think fat = healthy but it' not true in humans or any animals. A very overweight dragon will can lose it's appetite or just get picky and wait for it's favorite food. She refused the dubia but went for the fattier superworms so she is just doing what she wants. Cut way back on the superworms, let her wait for the dubia and offer greens like kale, turnip, collards, mustard as well as squash . You can give her 2-3 supers at a time if she won't eat for 4-5 days . She may have fatty liver now or may develop it. Did the vet take bloodtest ? They should se if the liver enzymes are elevated. But for now it seems her lethargy + lack of appetite is related to her being overweight. BTW, beardie eggs usually show up quite well on xrays like this :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Ffigure%2FTotal-body-dorso-ventral-radiograph-of-the-bearded-dragon-Pogona-vitticeps-show-14_fig1_331501379&psig=AOvVaw1jaGp1b4-KhO1bIOFGeCqj&ust=1619613042298000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjo3t_xtp7wAhWBtVMKHW-pAu8Qr4kDegUIARCwAQ

Well my vet seemed very concerned that there were hard areas in her belly exam. Then took the X-rays which clearly show 2 large masses in her abdomen.

As far as overweight, she weight 435g. Although it is on the higher end of the spectrum hits far from over weight. And prior to about a month ago she was eating fine. I had no issues as she would eat crickets, calciworms, discoid and most of her greens. Now she just won’t eat.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, too with the pictures of your x-rays. I am not positive there
are eggs but it does appear that way. The vet could be feeling the fat pads that might be
enlarged possibly.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom