Superworm issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
So I have noticed a clumping of the substrate in my superworm container, that is well ventilated. I thought it was moisture from the veggies I put it to feed them, but was just reading the superworm thread here and it mentioned a grain mite infestation causes clumping. I have since fed some worms to my dragon and now I am freaking out and worried. He is not acting sick or any behavior changes, but am wondering if grain mites can cause any issues with dragons??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I have noticed a clumping of the substrate in my superworm container, that is well ventilated. I thought it was moisture from the veggies I put it to feed them, but was just reading the superworm thread here and it mentioned a grain mite infestation causes clumping. I have since fed some worms to my dragon and now I am freaking out and worried. He is not acting sick or any behavior changes, but am wondering if grain mites can cause any issues with dragons??
@CooperDragon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I’ve kept super worms for years in ground oatmeal and wheat bran and I’ve never seen any mites what are you using as a substrate? I’d be highly surprised if that was it. Can you see mites if spread some of the substrate out on a white piece of paper maybe grab one of the clumps and spread it out over printer paper.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Ok maybe a black piece of paper seems that they are white but you should be able to see a ton of them clumped together in those clumps of the substrate you were talking about?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The clumping could be moisture in the substrate. If it is grain mites, they are harmless, but kind of a pain to get rid of. They will coat the container with what looks like a fine white dust but if you look closely you can see them moving. The best way I've found to get rid of them is to reduce the humidity in the area with a dehumidifier. They don't seem to like it much below about 40% and will disappear after a while.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yeah that’s why I’ve never seen them in my superworms I’m in the high desert we’re lucky if we have 30% humidity lol. Most days it’s around 20-25%. In the house with our heating/air conditioning it can get to 18%.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
I’ve kept super worms for years in ground oatmeal and wheat bran and I’ve never seen any mites what are you using as a substrate? I’d be highly surprised if that was it. Can you see mites if spread some of the substrate out on a white piece of paper maybe grab one of the clumps and spread it out over printer paper.
they are in ground up whole oats and a worm food mix a friend made for me. I will check tomorrow on some black paper to see if there is anything there. Thank you

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
The clumping could be moisture in the substrate. If it is grain mites, they are harmless, but kind of a pain to get rid of. They will coat the container with what looks like a fine white dust but if you look closely you can see them moving. The best way I've found to get rid of them is to reduce the humidity in the area with a dehumidifier. They don't seem to like it much below about 40% and will disappear after a while.
We live in Florida and well humidity is every day haha even with an air conditioner. I do not see any fine dust in the container, so hopefully I am just being a paranoid dragon mom lol

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
The more we worry stress then research and read and then worry some more means we love them lol 😂. I swear I’ve never spent so much time worrying and stressing about anything in my life no joke.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Maybe try what bran for bedding it seems to stay pretty dry but I don’t know with your guy’s humidity? I put the greens I use for my dragon on top of the bedding and a carrot every few days but you may need to remove the food daily? What do you feed your super worms?

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
The more we worry stress then research and read and then worry some more means we love them lol 😂. I swear I’ve never spent so much time worrying and stressing about anything in my life no joke.
Ain't that the truth haha here is a close up it. I don't see anything moving

Attachments

• 20220306_132937.jpg
    20220306_132937.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 68

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Maybe try what bran for bedding it seems to stay pretty dry but I don’t know with your guy’s humidity? I put the greens I use for my dragon on top of the bedding and a carrot every few days but you may need to remove the food daily? What do you feed your super worms?
I add some of the greens and a carrot every couple days. They also have a worm fix mix that a friend made me that is in their substrate too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom