Super Worms?

Beardie name(s)
Oz
Hello! I've had my dragon for around 4 weeks now and I've been regularly feeding him super worms as his main course. He just turned a year old a little less than a week ago so I was searching how many to feed him now but I came across something. There were a few websites that said super worms aren't great for a beardie if they are used as a full-time feeder. I decided to do more research and discovered a few more websites that stated that they are great for beardies and are better than crickets and mealworms! Now I'm just confused! All the sites I visited seemed to be very creditable and trustworthy but they're all condescending, and I know my beardie likes the worms more than crickets, but I don't want to feed him anything that could hurt him! What do I do? Should I change his main course?

Rocky2022

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
#following
I feed my four month superworms as treats. I watch her poop like a hawk- she regular. It's due to their shell I believe but I am sure that Rocky basks immediately after eating. I definitely don't use them as a staple but as a treat and she wants them often. I suggest monitoring your beardie for any changes but at the same token, I am a new beardie parent so don't listen to me. I am curious about what others have to say.
Oh my staple is the doubia roaches.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's the joy of the internet, and a valuable lesson that even some "experts" haven't learned yet. The lesson is: Your way isn't the only right way.

Personally, superworms have been a staple feeder for my adult dragons for over 20 years now. And it makes up part of the diet of my juvies also.

The main issue with superworms is their fat content, which ends up being too high to use as the sole insect to meet the protein requirement for growing dragons. However IME, it's a decent ratio for adults who are only getting live bugs 2 or 3 times a week, which is standard with my adults.

If being fed to a juvie, keep the fat content in mind and limit the amount. They are a fine worm to mix in for varieties sake. Variety is more important that finding the 1 perfect feeder IMO.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, I've fed supers as one of the staple insects but mostly after they were over 13-14" at least and right now my 2 boys are 10 yrs. old. They also eat veggies , one definitely likes veg more than the other though but I have made it a regular part of their diet as well. You just don't feed them too many at a time and not every day as adults. My guys are not fat and they can still get around very well.

Wonderful Lizard of Oz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oz
Thank you guys for helping me out! I also spoke to my small animal veterinarian and his advice was to allow my beardie to keep eating the worms as a staple because he's been having them regularly for this amount of time and is still perfectly healthy (plus he loves them), but sometimes treat him with other insects like crickets and dubai roaches so he gets a mix. I appreciate all the feedback, your advice was super helpful!! 😁

Rocky2022

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Thank you guys for helping me out! I also spoke to my small animal veterinarian and his advice was to allow my beardie to keep eating the worms as a staple because he's been having them regularly for this amount of time and is still perfectly healthy (plus he loves them), but sometimes treat him with other insects like crickets and dubai roaches so he gets a mix. I appreciate all the feedback, your advice was super helpful!! 😁
Thanks. This advice was helpful for me as well.

xp29

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby & Snicker Doodle
Hornworms are another great treat.they help hydrate and they go crazy for the soft bodied bugs. BUT BE WARNED if you give them to often they won't want to eat anything else. I've made that mistake a couple of times, its kindda hard to get excited about the other bugs again

Rocky2022

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
FYI- Like everyone else, roaches/worms are Rocky's preferred choices (over salad/greens). I was getting concerned because she is barely eating her greens and she was going through her second shed. I know that Rocky loves collards but she consistently begs for the bugs. Something told me to handfeed her the greens. I did and it worked. I thought I would share this advice...Rocky ate her entire bowl of greens two days in a row...with me handfeeding her. While this doesn't help because I continue to spoil Rocky, at least she is eating her greens. Let's pick our battles.:confused: I plan to ease up on the handfeeding by Monday, hoping that Rocky is back into the normal routine.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I see my lizard is being given Allopurinol 100ml tablet 10mg/ml (0.4) and tramadol 0.2ml every other day to help with gout. I have tramadol at home can I water it down and give it to her and if so do anyone know how much to water down ?
323A2CAE-899F-4592-90D2-DC37D45A30F1.jpeg

Baby photo! Look at how little and cute I was!!!
C34BF977-474F-4233-BF7E-8C797567E429.jpeg
Buffy snuggling with my partner!!!
Gout in bearded dragons
So freaking handsome I just love youuuuu so much 💕

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NatySmeeth
Top Bottom