sunbeam snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKTerrell

Hatchling Member
I had a sunbeam snake given to us and am trying to find out as much as I can about them. Iv read lots of care sheets but would like to hear from anyone that has experience with them. This one is about 2.5 feet long looks healthy and clean. We have had it in quarantine for 3 weeks now away from the other reptiles I have it in a 20gallon long with the top 95% covered the temps 80 -88 using 3 inches of ecoearth with a water bole and nice hide and a 40watt bulb in a dome light on top nice and humid. I've tried 2 times in the last 2 weeks to get it to eat F/T mice with no luck and the people did not leave me with any info on him just drop and run lol So have no idea what he was eating. I'm thinking I will try it on live to see if that gets it going but was hoping someone here could give some advice or words of wisdom that has had some real experience with them?

and yes I'll get some pics of it up soon as I can :D

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
its really rare for a sunbeam to eat any kind of rodent. they will usually eat fish (feeder goldfish from a petstore) or newts or some kind of lizard.
i am currently taking care of a sunbeam snake. i have had no luck whatsoever when trying to get that thing to eat a rodent.

JKTerrell

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks I think I will try some gold fish and pinkies rolled in gold fish and see if that works :D

Floof

Juvie Member
Beware, goldfish make horrible feeders for snakes. Even those made to eat fish. Goldfish (and some other "feeder" fish) carry a high level of Thiaminase, which inhibits the absorption of Thiamin (Vitamin B... I think B1?), and results in a Thiamin deficiency that is life-threatening. A look through a good Garter or Ribbon Snake forum's food section will give you a better run-down of that mess... I don't think it'd be a risk if you're just using a goldfish to scent a mouse, but if you're planning on feeding it goldfish (or any fish), it would be a good idea to learn about the Thiaminase issue before you choose a feeder fish. Maybe give lizards a shot? Anoles seem to be a favorite of many picky snake species. You might even get away with scenting a mouse on some of your beardie's shed skin.

I don't know anything about sunbeam snakes except HUMIDITY, HUMIDITY, HUMIDITY. And... Yeah, that's it. There's a person or two over on Cornsnakes.com who keep them pretty successfully. You might also be able to find Sunbeam keepers on iHerp.com or Ball-pythons.net.

Hope this is helpful to you. And don't forget to share some pictures with us once it starts eating for you! Sunbeams are so stunning!

gwookkim

Hatchling Member
Floof":20yecnsr said:
Beware, goldfish make horrible feeders for snakes. Even those made to eat fish. Goldfish (and some other "feeder" fish) carry a high level of Thiaminase, which inhibits the absorption of Thiamin (Vitamin B... I think B1?), and results in a Thiamin deficiency that is life-threatening.

that is actually true. im sorry jkterrell. giving your snake anoles would be a much better idea.

JKTerrell

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I was able to get her to eat 4 pinky mice by rubbing the gold fish on the first one after she ate the first one she went to town on the rest lol and no I did not feed the gold fish to her. I use minnows for my
Ribbon snake she will not eat pinkies at all. Thanks for all the good info :)

Floof

Juvie Member
JKTerrell":1kyte2h7 said:
Well I was able to get her to eat 4 pinky mice by rubbing the gold fish on the first one after she ate the first one she went to town on the rest lol and no I did not feed the gold fish to her. I use minnows for my
Ribbon snake she will not eat pinkies at all. Thanks for all the good info :)

That's great news!!! So glad to hear she ate for you, and so easily, too. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom