Sunbathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimKH

Can I sunbathe my bearded dragon everyday? I don't really have a good UVB bulb for my bearded dragon as the place I live don't sell the tube ones. All they sell are the coil ones. Can someone give me advice on sunbathing because I just sunbathe whenever its his bath time or I just put him in a container.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes you can definitely put a dragon out in the sun but you need an appropriate cage. Here is one of mine. Can you get one like this or build one ? It's not very difficult.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29954/full

Never use a glass aquarium in the sun, it will magnify the heat + cann kill very quickly. A large plastic storage tote can be used ONLY if it's less than 75 degrees outside [ 23 celsius ] and partly shaded because the plastic heats up too much.

If you get the dragon in the sun for 2 or more hours a day at least 4 times a week that will be fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Karrie the O.P is in Malaysia. Probably not much in the way of reptile supply companies there. Being a sunny country a beardie could be kept outside weekly except for the rainier times.

LimKH

Original Poster
AHBD":1o6yudfx said:
Hi there, yes you can definitely put a dragon out in the sun but you need an appropriate cage. Here is one of mine. Can you get one like this or build one ? It's not very difficult.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29954/full

Never use a glass aquarium in the sun, it will magnify the heat + cann kill very quickly. A large plastic storage tote can be used ONLY if it's less than 75 degrees outside [ 23 celsius ] and partly shaded because the plastic heats up too much.

If you get the dragon in the sun for 2 or more hours a day at least 4 times a week that will be fine.

I saw most of the people in the community in my country using plastic tubs to sunbathe their beardies though. I might not have the space and the materials for the cage. So I'm not quite sure what to do other than sunbathing it in a tub or letting it loose in my garden (which is kind of a bad idea)

SPandS

Juvie Member
You could buy or make a harness or get a pop up playpen, that's what I use for both of mine.

103231-8217008360.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A plastic tub can easily heat up way too hot depending on where you are in Malaysia. What are the temps. in your area right now ?

LimKH

Original Poster
AHBD":1u21stl0 said:
A plastic tub can easily heat up way too hot depending on where you are in Malaysia. What are the temps. in your area right now ?
The temp and right now is 12:35p.m and about 32C°. It's cloudy right now so the temperature might be a little off from the usual temp I use to sunbathe my beardies. I'll get back to you tomorrow if the weather is hot

LimKH

Original Poster
AHBD":2ollpemf said:
Today is around 35°C. Sorry for not replying for so long, I was busy. I'm in Selangor, Petaling Jaya.

LimKH

Original Poster
AHBD":iv4c7m17 said:
Sorry, it's not 35°C today. I checked with my thermometer just now, it was at 43°C :O. The weather forecast app sucks for my country.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that sounds unrealistic. It would be 109 F . That would be deadly for a dragon in a plastic tub. Even in the wild they would spend very little time if it was that hot, they's get in the shade quickly. I would be very careful to see that you can get an accurate temp. reading. At your temps., even in the high 80's or low 90's it would be too hot in a plastic tub though.

LimKH

Original Poster
AHBD":zxpgr7rh said:
Wow, that sounds unrealistic. It would be 109 F . That would be deadly for a dragon in a plastic tub. Even in the wild they would spend very little time if it was that hot, they's get in the shade quickly. I would be very careful to see that you can get an accurate temp. reading. At your temps., even in the high 80's or low 90's it would be too hot in a plastic tub though.
So, do I make the cage for my beardie or let my beardie stay inside for a while?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If it's 45 C keep him inside. If it's in the upper 20's to mid 30's celsius you can take him out. If you can make a screen cage that would be ideal with part of it shaded.

LimKH

Original Poster
AHBD":3xt15y87 said:
If it's 45 C keep him inside. If it's in the upper 20's to mid 30's celsius you can take him out. If you can make a screen cage that would be ideal with part of it shaded.
Ok, I'll try and make a screen cage for my beardie if not then I'll consider buying a leash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom