Sudden yellow mouth - what is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madie

Hi Guys :D

Soc's been out of his first burmation for about a month now. I'm new to burmation and have been stressing ever since he's woken up. :oops:
First it was because he would only eat little bits but he's eating better now, quite a bit of salad every day and a couple of supers. Poops every day, temps are all good and he's got a new UV tube (arcadia 12%) Still active and bask everyday
However, he's got a yellow mouth all of a sudden??? He had a lovely pink mouth before burmation, but now i've noticed its yellow like the pic below?? :shock: Any ideas? I'm worried there might be something wrong :?

http://photobucket.com/Soc_album

LJean

Extreme Poster
It doesn't look like anything is wrong. I tried to get Oscar to open his mouth so I could take a peek in there to compare, but he wouldn't do it.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
A yellow mouth is normal for bd's. Did you know that when beardies first began to become popular as pets, many vets diagnosed liver problems based on the yellow colouration in their mouths. It's only as vets have become more knowledgeable that this has become less common, but some vets still do it!

Madie

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I'm a little less worried now :) Guess i'm just an over worried mommy who stresses about every little thing :lol: The joys :roll:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, it can be normal in some dragons, but not all. Do you have a german giant morph? It is a characteristic left over from the initial breeding of vitticeps & barbatas in Germany.
Some get that gene when they are born, & it doesn't develop until a little later on.
Does she have any yellow around her mouth scales?

If she is acting normal & has a good appetite, I would not have any reason to think she was having liver problems. The only way to determine that for sure though is through a blood test.

Tracie

Madie

Original Poster
Hi Tracie :) Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

He hasnt got any yellow around the mouth scales, its just the roof of his mouth and a little around the gums, the rest is still pink.
Before burmation he had a all pink mouth and then I noticed its gone yellow after he's woken up. Could liver problems have come on when he was in burmation? :?

He's still active, basks and runs around the house like a little crazy person, but he's only really eating he salad and about 1-2 supers a day.

Should i be worried and get a blood test done? What other signs is there of liver probelms? Sorry to ask so many questions, i just want to make sure he's ok

Thanks for all the help! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is a sudden yellowing yes. The only external signs of liver problems are more than normal lethargic behavior, blood in stools, weight loss & overall malaise. The only sure way to know is to get a bloodtest done, to rule it out. I hope that he did not develop any liver problems during brumation, but, it is a possibility, yes. How long was he in brumation?
If you get the bloodtest done, could I see a copy of it?

Tracie

Madie

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie, He was only down for about a week and a half so not that long really.

He's got a appointment at the vets for bloodtest tomorrow morning. i'll let you know the results. Thanks again for your help, fingers cross he's ok :?

Madie

Original Poster
So Soc had his blood samples taken today, we should have the results within 24 hours the vet said. He gave him a vit shot too and he's seems a bit more purky - will post the results as soon as i get them

Thanks again!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

GREAT, let me know the results. I would love to have a copy of them, too, just for comparisons, etc.
Perhaps, he was a bit anemic or just low in iron or B vitamins for some reason. He sure wasn't down in brumation for long, was he?
How is he doing today, you mentioned he was a bit more energetic after a vitamin shot?

I hope everything is fine with the blood tests!

Tracie

Madie

Original Poster
Hi again :)

So the vet called yesterday. They done a cell smear test and it appears that he has a slighly high inflamed cell count so they have put him on antibiotics for 6 days (once every two days) as she thinks he's got a slight infection :(
He's got to go back on Saturday for a check up and a retake of blood, as they couldnt collect enough blood for a full blood work :angry5: So I'll have to keep you updated with how that goes

He's a lot more energetic today and yesterday, he's even eaten a couple of more worms, but still has the yellow mouth. I gave him a dose of antibiotics this morning so i'll see how he goes today

thanks again for all your help and i'll keep you updated!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom