Sudden passing of beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grem316

We got our little guy in July of last year, 2021. He was friendly, active and had a good appetite. He loved his crickets and greens. Collards were his favorite. Everything was dusted with the calcium powder with d3. Noticed his poop was a bit runny, and it stunk. Wife gave him a warm bath, he splashed around and seemed to enjoy it. he was active all day yesterday and this morning. We left for a Dr. appointment, and when we came home about 3 hours later he was on his back as if he just died and fell off his basking spot. Wife was in tears as she loved him. She'd hold him quite often, and he would just chill with her.

Now, he's suddenly gone. I've lost animals before, but he wasn't even a year old. We were waiting for tax return to get him a bigger tank. he was in a 20 long since we got him. Had heat lamp, the uvb light, everything seemed normal. Just looking for any suggestions on what we may be able to adjust if/when she wants to get another one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We got our little guy in July of last year, 2021. He was friendly, active and had a good appetite. He loved his crickets and greens. Collards were his favorite. Everything was dusted with the calcium powder with d3. Noticed his poop was a bit runny, and it stunk. Wife gave him a warm bath, he splashed around and seemed to enjoy it. he was active all day yesterday and this morning. We left for a Dr. appointment, and when we came home about 3 hours later he was on his back as if he just died and fell off his basking spot. Wife was in tears as she loved him. She'd hold him quite often, and he would just chill with her.

Now, he's suddenly gone. I've lost animals before, but he wasn't even a year old. We were waiting for tax return to get him a bigger tank. he was in a 20 long since we got him. Had heat lamp, the uvb light, everything seemed normal. Just looking for any suggestions on what we may be able to adjust if/when she wants to get another one.
It is so difficult to lose them so suddenly- it catches you off guard- I am sorry that you lost your little one- it is heartbreaking- make sure you sanitize your tank real good w/ something like F10 or some rescue or zoo meds wipe out - what were you using for your uvb? Basking temps and uvb are extremely important

Grem316

Original Poster
It is so difficult to lose them so suddenly- it catches you off guard- I am sorry that you lost your little one- it is heartbreaking- make sure you sanitize your tank real good w/ something like F10 or some rescue or zoo meds wipe out - what were you using for your uvb? Basking temps and uvb are extremely important
Thanks...I'll have to get the brand. It was a bulb I bought in petsmart in the reptile section. It is mounted in one of those domes they sell. I had an identical dome for the heat lamp too. I'll see if I can get the brand and info when I get home. Thank you!

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Sounds like a coil uvb friend and those are not adequate enough. I would not use that again if you find new dragon. Get something like this if you do

Select the 12% bulb.

You always want a fluorescent tube style bulbs there are t5 which is what most people run and a t8 is a little weaker but at the right distance can be efficient. They grow quick I would get at least a 40 gallon before getting new one. Pet stores are not cool in this aspect because majority of them don’t know what they are talking about. My beardie is almost 2 years old now and at first bought a beardie kit from petsmart. I then ran into some issues and became a member of this forum where i was told what I’ve told you about uvb. Many great people on here and I couldn’t imagine raising Frey’ja without my friends here. If and when you get new baby do talk with us again about what you can get and the distances from bulb to dragon. The other member Karrie that replied to you is a good person to talk to about these matters she’s very knowledgeable. Sorry for your loss friend.

Grem316

Original Poster
Sounds like a coil uvb friend and those are not adequate enough. I would not use that again if you find new dragon. Get something like this if you do

Select the 12% bulb.

You always want a fluorescent tube style bulbs there are t5 which is what most people run and a t8 is a little weaker but at the right distance can be efficient. They grow quick I would get at least a 40 gallon before getting new one. Pet stores are not cool in this aspect because majority of them don’t know what they are talking about. My beardie is almost 2 years old now and at first bought a beardie kit from petsmart. I then ran into some issues and became a member of this forum where i was told what I’ve told you about uvb. Many great people on here and I couldn’t imagine raising Frey’ja without my friends here. If and when you get new baby do talk with us again about what you can get and the distances from bulb to dragon. The other member Karrie that replied to you is a good person to talk to about these matters she’s very knowledgeable. Sorry for your loss friend.
Thanks, I'll definitely do that. I read that a 40 is too large for a baby dragon and that they should be raised in a smaller tank at that age. That's why we got the 20 long, and exactly like you said, we too bought the kit from PetSmart. If a 40 is not too large for a baby, I'll look at picking one up soon (yay tax season) and get the hood & light you described, or a comparable one that is available. I'll put up what options I found and look for a consensus. I'd hate to have this happen again. The little guy really grew on me and we loved watching him grow up and interact with us. Thank you both for taking time to give advice!

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I started with a 40 with a 20 before you know it you have to buy more room. Frey'ja grew out of her 40 in the first year. Yeah those pet stores and zoo med is stupid for putting a bearded dragon on a box that they know won’t do the job, blows my mind. Of course your very welcome they are amazing animals ours cuddles with my wife and I, she watches t.v. And loves our mini pigs they are buddies.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
So sad to hear about your loss. We lost our first frillie just a couple of weeks ago and we're still mourning his passing. We have a younger frillie who was his buddy and even he is depressed at the loss. Today is the first day he has shown us that he is starting to move on. Our condolensces.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is extremely difficult to lose one so suddenly, without warning.
I am not sure what in the world could have happened, Could he have aspirated any water during his bath?
It is virtually impossible to not become attached & bond with them.
I am so sorry for your loss.:cry:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom