sudden changes in my dragon?

savoryavery

Beardie name(s)
Icarus (icky for short)
hi everyone!

i made an account just to post about this because i haven't been able to find anything anywhere about what's going on with my lil buddy icarus!

her cage is in my bedroom. two days ago i woke up to her completely black. beard and chest the color of ink. this is the first time it had ever happened in the year i've had her (though she is probably a year and a half old). i took the picture below because i was literally so shocked and thought she had somehow managed to burn herself on something even though there is nothing in her cage to even do that.
F683C659-7BFC-45A8-9E65-B119E153409C.jpeg

she had gone to the bathroom up in her hammock. this was especially strange because she is very much a creature of habit and goes to the same spot/area to poop whenever she goes. the stool was soft but not runny. and it smelled less foul that it normally does. kind of weirdly sugary smelling.

the past two days i have seen her defecate twice and it has been very soft still, even watery. not exactly diarrhea but not a regular bowel movement either.

she hasn't had the black beard anymore that i've seen. she's continued to eat and show interest in food. but she is using her hide more than she ever has before, sleeping in it even. which would be insignificant if she didn't do that on the regular.

i'm sort of worried there's something wrong but i don't exactly know what to look up. i gave her some hornworms this past week that were probably a smidge too big and i'm wondering if maybe that is having something to do with the irregular defecation.

other info:
- she gets greens offered daily. mostly store bought turnip/mustard/dandelion greens that I rinse very thoroughly before feeding. additionally supplemented with TONS of things from our garden. always washed or soaked very thoroughly and always things she is allowed to eat (nasturtiums, hibiscus, small bits of carrot, the occasional berry or actual dandelion). we don't spray the garden with any chemicals specifically so icarus can eat the veggies too!

- dubia roaches are usually the staple insect she's fed

- basking and temperature gradient are normal, timed the same as they have been. storms have knocked power out at my house twice this month though which has led to some adjustments on that front but not enough to cause any drastic changes in timing or hear or anything.

tl;dr — Icarus is black-bearding, hiding out in her hide more frequently, and passing runny stools. she's still active and reactive to food, but i am worried something might be wrong.

thanks in advance for any input!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure she isn't a he? Can you post more pics? Her head looks more male than female. If she is a he, that can explain the black beard. Unless your feeding enormous hornworms to a young beardie you should be fine, they are soft and most of the time the beardie will turn them so its in line with their throat. Also hornworms will cause soft or even watery poops depending on how many they eat. They are a great source of hydration for a beardie. Also please go over your lighting, if its off it can cause all sorts of issues.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I also think this is a male. Use this method to check + be sure but that's 99.9 % going to be a male.

savoryavery

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Icarus (icky for short)
I also think this is a male. Use this method to check + be sure but that's 99.9 % going to be a male.

when i took him/her into the reptile vet after i first adopted, i was told that icarus is a girl! i have always assumed that was just the truth. when i get home tonight i will look into that. lol!

Last edited:

savoryavery

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Icarus (icky for short)
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure she isn't a he? Can you post more pics? Her head looks more male than female. If she is a he, that can explain the black beard. Unless your feeding enormous hornworms to a young beardie you should be fine, they are soft and most of the time the beardie will turn them so its in line with their throat. Also hornworms will cause soft or even watery poops depending on how many they eat. They are a great source of hydration for a beardie. Also please go over your lighting, if its off it can cause all sorts of issues.
here are some more photos (some more recent and some almost a year ago). lights have been adjusted back to normal, they were just wrong/turned off the two mornings after the rain knocked the power off, which is why i assumed they were not the cause of the issues.

Attachments

• F0CCCF8D-F9A8-4F2F-8171-BA3C225E8E51.jpeg
    F0CCCF8D-F9A8-4F2F-8171-BA3C225E8E51.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 6522D5F2-8908-464E-9611-32DEFE336DA8.jpeg
    6522D5F2-8908-464E-9611-32DEFE336DA8.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 156E99D2-F6F1-458A-9B57-41765878FCFF.jpeg
    156E99D2-F6F1-458A-9B57-41765878FCFF.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 33330B80-CCCF-4CCA-9689-0E839656BDEC.jpeg
    33330B80-CCCF-4CCA-9689-0E839656BDEC.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4410.MOV
    5.6 MB

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
here are some more photos (some more recent and some almost a year ago). lights have been adjusted back to normal, they were just wrong/turned off the two mornings after the rain knocked the power off, which is why i assumed they were not the cause of the issues.
I would have to agree with @AHBD and @xp that she may be he. The heads of males are wider and bigger than female. I have both and the head is wide like my male.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Same, my male has a big ole jug head compared to my females.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them -- and the UVB your using please NO coils -- they are no good

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Icky is a very photogenic dragon , posing like he knows it ! So did you try the tail lift ? These pics don't tell Icky's sex but it's already pretty obvious by the pic with the black beard.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Icarus is very beautiful! I think also, that she is indeed, a he. The head shape & size, the black
bearding, etc. He is likely hormonally displaying by seeing his reflection in the glass. You said he
had never had a black beard such as this?

Tracie

savoryavery

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Icarus (icky for short)
Hello,

Icarus is very beautiful! I think also, that she is indeed, a he. The head shape & size, the black
bearding, etc. He is likely hormonally displaying by seeing his reflection in the glass. You said he
had never had a black beard such as this?

Tracie
I’ve had my lil friend for over a year and have not ever seen the black beard or any sort of head bobbing which is why i never questioned when the vet told me they thought ick was a girl! crazy!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom