Substrate

Borje

I am getting a baby bearded dragon in a few days and ive already put sand inside his tank. Is it safe to use sand if i dont feed him inside his tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am getting a baby bearded dragon in a few days and ive already put sand inside his tank. Is it safe to use sand if i dont feed him inside his tank?
Babies lick everything we dont recommend sand at all for babies -- too much risk for impaction and not very sanitary as well - I would get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank found at Walmart or you local home improvement store

Borje

Original Poster
Babies lick everything we dont recommend sand at all for babies -- too much risk for impaction and not very sanitary as well - I would get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank found at Walmart or you local home improvement store
Thank you so much for answering, but what about adults? Is it okay to use sand for adults?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Agree with Karrie, no loose substrate for a baby dragon

Once an adult you could do a mix. Organic topsoil mixed with sand and maybe clay for a dig area. Then mainly a floor of slate tile or shelf liner to be more sanitary. How big is the enclosure? An adult should have a minimum 4 foot long by 2 foot by 2 foot. If you haven't gotten that yet, you can plan for it by next Feb for when he or she is almost fully grown

Borje

Original Poster
Agree with Karrie, no loose substrate for a baby dragon

Once an adult you could do a mix. Organic topsoil mixed with sand and maybe clay for a dig area. Then mainly a floor of slate tile or shelf liner to be more sanitary. How big is the enclosure? An adult should have a minimum 4 foot long by 2 foot by 2 foot. If you haven't gotten that yet, you can plan for it by next Feb for when he or she is almost fully grown
Its 120 gallons, Ive looked up non adhesive shelf liner and some said that it can emit harmful chemicals. Is it common for baby bearded dragons to get impaction even though i do not feed him while he is on the sand?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Its 120 gallons, Ive looked up non adhesive shelf liner and some said that it can emit harmful chemicals. Is it common for baby bearded dragons to get impaction even though i do not feed him while he is on the sand?
babies will still lick everything. my boy is fed in a seperate tub and still licks things in his enclosure all the time. i would not recommend loose substrate for babies at all. if you are worried about chemicals you can use paper towels or tile. i believe a textured tile is whats recommended if you go that route

Borje

Original Poster
babies will still lick everything. my boy is fed in a seperate tub and still licks things in his enclosure all the time. i would not recommend loose substrate for babies at all. if you are worried about chemicals you can use paper towels or tile. i believe a textured tile is whats recommended if you go that route
Thank you, i will probably be using tiles.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, i will probably be using tiles.
If you go w/ tiles I would also put some sort of matt in there as well so he has some place to sit that is not so hard on his joints- you also want a textured tile that is not real coarse or real slippery - I would rub your hand over the tile you dont want something causing abrasions

Borje

Original Poster
If you go w/ tiles I would also put some sort of matt in there as well so he has some place to sit that is not so hard on his joints- you also want a textured tile that is not real coarse or real slippery - I would rub your hand over the tile you dont want something causing abrasions
I found this on amazon and maybe will buy and use this instead of tiles but i am not quite sure or is there any other mats you recommend that i can use?

Attachments

• bild_2023-02-23_215943089.jpg
    bild_2023-02-23_215943089.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I found this on amazon and maybe will buy and use this instead of tiles but i am not quite sure or is there any other mats you recommend that i can use?
I would go w/ the textured NON adhesive shelf liner - I dont know how you would clean that carpet bedding unless your washing it --- the shelf liner you can clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- then wipe clean w/ a wet dish rag --

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i've used non-adhesive shelf liner for a couple years now and i've never had issues with off-gassing or chemical smells, even when it was brand new. in the past i've used tiles and carpets, but i prefer the shelf liner.

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
We’ve put in a horse mat in our new to us enclosure, then put an under the sink mat on top of it.

Any idea on how long to let the mat air out before putting our beardie in?

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom