Substrate?

Pumpkingirl

Hey all,

What are our thoughts on “repti bark” as substrate? I currently have paper towel and I know it’s easy and recommended.. but I just wish I could use something she’d enjoy more. I go to a small business pet store and the guy was pointing out sands (I said no).. but the repti bark was bigger pieces.. why is this bad again?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all,

What are our thoughts on “repti bark” as substrate? I currently have paper towel and I know it’s easy and recommended.. but I just wish I could use something she’d enjoy more. I go to a small business pet store and the guy was pointing out sands (I said no).. but the repti bark was bigger pieces.. why is this bad again?
If she were to ingest a piece it could cause internal injuries - I would look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or a mat similar to what Zen Habitat sells w/ their tanks

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
If she were to ingest a piece it could cause internal injuries - I would look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or a mat similar to what Zen Habitat sells w/ their tanks
What mat is that? I mean the bark is has big pieces though.. I will look into the shelf liner. Where did you get yours?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks! A little pricey for me. Can you get non adhesive shelf liner on amazon?
Yes - people have gotten it off Amazon - just make sure its got some texture so its not slippery for them and its NON adhesive - it needs to be cut to the size of the tank - insects cannot get underneath and you can clean it w/ vinegar / water 50/50 wipe down w/ a wet cloth afterwards to get rid of the smell -

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
Yes - people have gotten it off Amazon - just make sure its got some texture so its not slippery for them and its NON adhesive - it needs to be cut to the size of the tank - insects cannot get underneath and you can clean it w/ vinegar / water 50/50 wipe down w/ a wet cloth afterwards to get rid of the smell -
Awesome thanks so much!!

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
@KarrieRee actually while you’re here .. can you give me tips on how to increase humidity? I thought the bark held more moisture that’s why I was leaning towards it. Aside from real plants..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
@KarrieRee actually while you’re here .. can you give me tips on how to increase humidity? I thought the bark held more moisture that’s why I was leaning towards it. Aside from real plants..
Adding a bowl of water on hot side- humidity levels optimal 40-50% nothing below 20 or over 70% please use a digital probe hygrometer zoo med makes them - place on the back center wall- - if the bowl doesn't increase it then you can use a humidifier next to the tank-- I use a small one in between my two tanks

Pumpkingirl

Original Poster
One more question.. for the cleaning solution. Can you use apple cider vinegar?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom