Substrate versus nails

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Toothless is about 4 months and while he's pretty big, his nails are still tiny but super sharp and really hard to cut. What's a good substrate that won't catch his nails but he won't slide on when he walks.? The material of his new tank makes him slide a bit while walking

Attachments

• 1666726459052774814545298982995.jpg
    1666726459052774814545298982995.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 94

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Toothless is about 4 months and while he's pretty big, his nails are still tiny but super sharp and really hard to cut. What's a good substrate that won't catch his nails but he won't slide on when he walks.? The material of his new tank makes him slide a bit while walking
What are you using now? A good piece of textured slated ceramic tile would work - I recently changed out the all tile in my tank for a mat from Zen Habitats - but I kept two long pieces in the tank for the nails - if you opt for tile go to the store your local home improvement store and rub your hand across the tile you choose- you dont want it too abrasive / coarse to cause abrasions and you dont want it smooth so hes slipping and sliding all over

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
What are you using now? A good piece of textured slated ceramic tile would work - I recently changed out the all tile in my tank for a mat from Zen Habitats - but I kept two long pieces in the tank for the nails - if you opt for tile go to the store your local home improvement store and rub your hand across the tile you choose- you dont want it too abrasive / coarse to cause abrasions and you dont want it smooth so hes slipping and sliding all over
Nothing right now, just the bare floor. It's ABS plastic.? It's from AP Cages so it's like abs plastic/pvc. He slides on it like he would the kitchen floor and I'm worried it's bad for his joints.

What other options are good for him.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Nothing right now, just the bare floor. It's ABS plastic.? It's from AP Cages so it's like abs plastic/pvc. He slides on it like he would the kitchen floor and I'm worried it's bad for his joints.

What other options are good for him.?
Textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at your local home improvement store - you can use that w/ 2 pieces or so of the tile- that will keep the nails down -- all tile is hard on the joints that is why I switched here to the rubber mat from Zen -

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at your local home improvement store - you can use that w/ 2 pieces or so of the tile- that will keep the nails down -- all tile is hard on the joints that is why I switched here to the rubber mat from Zen -
Do you have a link to the mat from them.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Personally i don't recommend cactus. Prickly pear either has semi-long to out right long thorns, or it has the little short tussles that don't look sharp. Both can be dangerous. The long ones could poke an eye or cause puncture wounds, the fuzzy ones are irritating as hell, if he got them in his respotory system it could cause some issues.
For his nails the tile Karrieree mentioned works good, or a piece of flat sandstone, limestone, granite, basalt, ect works great also. My eyes even with reading glasses aren't good enough to clip their nails, so the tile and stones have been a life saver for me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Personally i don't recommend cactus. Prickly pear either has semi-long to out right long thorns, or it has the little short tussles that don't look sharp. Both can be dangerous. The long ones could poke an eye or cause puncture wounds, the fuzzy ones are irritating as hell, if he got them in his respotory system it could cause some issues.
For his nails the tile Karrieree mentioned works good, or a piece of flat sandstone, limestone, granite, basalt, ect works great also. My eyes even with reading glasses aren't good enough to clip their nails, so the tile and stones have been a life saver for me.
You can get prickly pear cactus leaves off of Amazon that dont have the long thorns - I have ordered them from there and fed them - they are a good staple feeder

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Prickly pair cactus is good but not a live plant. Keep in mind that a lot of beardies will dig up any potted plant, digging is a natural behavior and burns off energy. Non adhesive shelf liner is fine for flooring and if you can find nice flat or semi flat rocks outside you can clean them with very hot soapy water and a dash of bleach, then rinse well with more hot water.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can get prickly pear cactus leaves off of Amazon that dont have the long thorns - I have ordered them from there and fed them - they are a good staple feeder
I think they are wanting to plant live plants in the viv. Thats why i said i didn't recommend it. Cactus bite lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom