Sub-Adult Beardie Not Eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon is about 8 months old (I am not entirely sure because pet stores don't always tell the truth). He is not eating as much as he used to. He used to eat apples and blueberries and salad (not as much as the other stuff though) and now he won't. He doesn't seem as hungry.He used to eat superworms with liquid supplements on them. Now, he won't eat his superworms if there are liqiuid vitamins up there but he will eat them otherwise. He is catching on! But he will eat his superworms with powdered calcium on them.

I tried bee pollen and still won't eat his veggies.

I got him some Reptiboost today. His husbandry is great. He was treated for parasites and given a clean bill of health earlier this year. Is this something that happens to beardies when they get to a certain age and start "growing up"? Or do I need to be really worried?

Some days he is super active and running around his house and cage. And some days, he is not as active. Am I freaking out over nothing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah I am not sure about the Mercury vapor bulb--- I guess if he's not eating I would get what I know works - the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8-- it doesn't look like he can get under what you are using now-- he needs a hide-- and more decor for him to climb on-- PetSmart has nice decor spendy but nice-- others w/ more knowledge on the Mercury vapor bulb can give better advice on that-- the T 8 or T 5 are tube bulbs- the T 5 is a stronger bulb and should be changed out once a yr-- the T 8 every 6 months
Karrie

krba201076

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21bcu0kg said:
Yeah I am not sure about the Mercury vapor bulb--- I guess if he's not eating I would get what I know works - the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8-- it doesn't look like he can get under what you are using now-- he needs a hide-- and more decor for him to climb on-- PetSmart has nice decor spendy but nice-- others w/ more knowledge on the Mercury vapor bulb can give better advice on that-- the T 8 or T 5 are tube bulbs- the T 5 is a stronger bulb and should be changed out once a yr-- the T 8 every 6 months
Karrie

Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 160w MVBs are fairly powerful. Which brand is it? PowerSun? Those should sit around 12-16'' above the main basking area for best UVB range if it's a PowerSun, but the output varies between brands. You may need supplemental heat depending on the surface temp readings you get when the bulb is in that range. I agree that some more things to climb on as well as a good hide is a good idea. Habba Huts work well. You could also use some driftwood pieces or maybe a smooth flat stone of some kind. You can get pretty creative with the decor.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see the hammock and him under it how does he get to it?
Karrie

krba201076

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ci5rzci said:
I see the hammock and him under it how does he get to it?
Karrie

I recently upgraded him to this new cage. I just purchased a little house-like thing he could climb up on to get to the hammock yesterday.

But before then, I used to just pick him up and put him in the hammock.

krba201076

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2mk9v0fn said:
The 160w MVBs are fairly powerful. Which brand is it? PowerSun? Those should sit around 12-16'' above the main basking area for best UVB range if it's a PowerSun, but the output varies between brands. You may need supplemental heat depending on the surface temp readings you get when the bulb is in that range. I agree that some more things to climb on as well as a good hide is a good idea. Habba Huts work well. You could also use some driftwood pieces or maybe a smooth flat stone of some kind. You can get pretty creative with the decor.

Yes it is a PowerSun. I have a stand that the light is on so I can adjust how far the light is easily. Thanks for the tips. I just didn't want to overcrowd the cage but I guess I shouldn't worry about that so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you using super worms as a main protein staple? I would get him some dubia roaches and dust them 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html---- get your lighting in order and you should see a difference in his eating -- lighting in the tank is crucial to their overall health behavior and digestion
Karrie

krba201076

Original Poster
KarrieRee":f5jn44pn said:
Are you using super worms as a main protein staple? I would get him some dubia roaches and dust them 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and vitamins 2 x per week --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html---- get your lighting in order and you should see a difference in his eating -- lighting in the tank is crucial to their overall health behavior and digestion
Karrie

Thanks for the tips. I use mainly superworms...about 40% of the time, I use crickets...rarely I give him dubia. I am trying to get a dubia colony established. I do give him his calcium and vitamins though. I am going to read that website you posted. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom