Stuck tail shed?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
MY Amber was shedding her face legs arms and sides which she got off herself besides nose plug and eye lids. She has a current method of dragging her back legs and tail I'm wondering what I can do for her. At first she scared me because I thought she got injured but her extremities work fine. She just drags her tail to get shed off but atm only thing that helps is a bath

I mist her enclosure it's around 50-55% humidity which seems to be fine because she got a lot off herself. Should I continue her baths? Or possibly aiding her by other methods? I was thinking of getting a facecloth wetting it and perhaps wrapping her tail

Any advice is appreciated I hate seeing my girls be miserable due to them shedding 😞

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_125519.jpg
    IMG_20220722_125519.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20220722_125526.jpg
    IMG_20220722_125526.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20220718_165251.jpg
    IMG_20220718_165251.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20220713_134447.jpg
    IMG_20220713_134447.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 65

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Don't do anything. It will shed off when it's ready. Tails take longer as they don't grow as much as the rest of the body does relatively speaking.

Dragons need 0 assistance with shedding, and I'd stop with the misting. You increase the risk of your dragon developing a URI for no benefit.

Dragons aren't like snakes, they don't need humidity levels to shed.

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Don't do anything. It will shed off when it's ready. Tails take longer as they don't grow as much as the rest of the body does relatively speaking.

Dragons need 0 assistance with shedding, and I'd stop with the misting. You increase the risk of your dragon developing a URI for no benefit.

Dragons aren't like snakes, they don't need humidity levels to shed.

-Brandon
I was told 50% was perfect normally I keep it around 30-35%. At the moment she is tail whipping everything in sight to get it off her tail lol

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a fine humidity, but there is a difference between RH and water droplets being in the air and on the sides of the tank (via misting), even if it doesn't significantly raise RH.

Trust me, I've literally raised hundreds and hundreds of dragons at this point. I have never once had to assist or help a dragon in any way shed. And in the nearly 13 years of being on this site, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 cases where it was actually medically necessary to assist a dragon with its shed.

I tell you all this because dragon owners, by nature, stress out way too easily lol :D I'm telling you that you don't need to worry, you don't need to do anything, and you can just let your dragon naturally do what it's been doing for eons. There is nothing wrong :)

-Brandon

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That is a fine humidity, but there is a difference between RH and water droplets being in the air and on the sides of the tank (via misting), even if it doesn't significantly raise RH.

Trust me, I've literally raised hundreds and hundreds of dragons at this point. I have never once had to assist or help a dragon in any way shed. And in the nearly 13 years of being on this site, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 cases where it was actually medically necessary to assist a dragon with its shed.

I tell you all this because dragon owners, by nature, stress out way too easily lol :D I'm telling you that you don't need to worry, you don't need to do anything, and you can just let your dragon naturally do what it's been doing for eons. There is nothing wrong :)

-Brandon
Only time I help is if it's a nose plug or eye lids my vet has literally peeled them both like onions. That and if there is any stuck shed a bath helps a lot.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree with Claudiusx. In the wild they have no one to help them. As far as nose and eyes it's a bad idea to try to assist them, those are two delicate spots, you can potentially injure them. For tail sheds you could try adding some thin flat slabs of sandstone or other course stones to your habitat. They will use them like sandpaper. Plus you get the added benefit of it naturally trimming their nails!!! :) This is a pic of Zens, it serves as a basking spot a hide and self grooming station lol. He actually has two and uses them both.

Attachments

• 20220618_103305.jpg
    20220618_103305.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 60

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I agree with Claudiusx. In the wild they have no one to help them. As far as nose and eyes it's a bad idea to try to assist them, those are two delicate spots, you can potentially injure them. For tail sheds you could try adding some thin flat slabs of sandstone or other course stones to your habitat. They will use them like sandpaper. Plus you get the added benefit of it naturally trimming their nails!!! :) This is a pic of Zens, it serves as a basking spot a hide and self grooming station lol. He actually has two and uses them both.
I don't peel but more it's just hanging there I have had to use a soft bristle tooth brush for nose plugs. They had every piece of shed off except the nostril so I assisted to brush it a bit. And I have looked at slate slabs but haven't really found any that are worth buying. I have a rough hide my Amber uses to aid her shedding I did have one in there but it broke apart. So I was advised to remove it due to them shedding and rubbing on it and knocking particles off and causing eye irritation. So I'm a little iffy on adding something that is course and rough just haven't had the greatest experience

Amber is shedding her tail backwards 😅 she is going tip to the base and it's shedding off

Would lowes or home depot sell slate rocks? I did think of adding some stones just stuff both my beardies can rub on and climb over. I was thinking of doing bricks but they can deteriorate over time and chip so I decided not too

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
They do sell some from time to time, i got mine at a place that specializes in landscaping rock.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
They do sell some from time to time, i got mine at a place that specializes in landscaping rock.
Idk if you know Carolina Customs? They sell enclosures rocks hides etc etc I have seen some nice ones. Problem is they go for $70+ they are insanely expensive and you don't get many maybe 2-3 rocks. There are a few places locally that sell everything from soil to gravel to sheds anything you would need outside. I would probably have to sanitize them right? I heard the oven is the top choice to kill anything they may carry

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The oven is what i do, 250-275 degrees long enough to heat to the center. Flagstone is what i bought. I did a flagstone patio off my main patio and had left over. In bulk it can be pricey, but the place i got mine you could get the smaller pieces pretty cheap. The cool thing about sandstone its pretty soft so you can shape it if your handy with some basic tools.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The oven is what i do, 250-275 degrees long enough to heat to the center. Flagstone is what i bought. I did a flagstone patio off my main patio and had left over. In bulk it can be pricey, but the place i got mine you could get the smaller pieces pretty cheap. The cool thing about sandstone its pretty soft so you can shape it if your handy with some basic tools.
I'll have to check it out see what I can do I been wanting to add some natural stuff my beardies seem to love their platforms lol

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom