Stuck shed on stub/injured tail

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
I know the normal face/arm/body rubbing on everything to aid in shedding is fine and works for them but what about the tail? My Amber has a piece of shed about the length of a tic tac and it isn't coming off naturally. When I got her she had maybe about 1 1/2 inches of her tail removed I'm guessing a cage mate dispute before I got her at 6". Is there anything I can do to help? Possibly a good soak or a type of oil

Note: She is almost 3 so the tail is healed completely just a tad stubby

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would try a soak first. (Make sure the water is a safe temp). You can get shed ease at reptile stores also.
Maybe check your humidity also, i live in Nevada sometimes i need to raise the humidity for my 2 leatherbacks to help them shed. Our humidity here gets as low as 5 or 6 percent in the summer.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would try a soak first. (Make sure the water is a safe temp). You can get shed ease at reptile stores also.
Maybe check your humidity also, i live in Nevada sometimes i need to raise the humidity for my 2 leatherbacks to help them shed. Our humidity here gets as low as 5 or 6 percent in the summer.
I normally have it around 40% I give my beardies soaks regularly I just never noticed my Ambers tail. In the past I was told to use coconut oil and do it right before bed so it soaks in though I have used the shed ease on my BP but not my dragons. I'll give it a try and see if it comes off Thank You

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can also try using some shea butter on the end of the tail or area of the retained shed if the
coconut oil isn't helping. Let us know how that goes!

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Post a picture of it. It's common for an area that was injured to shed differently than the rest of the body and is usually no problem. Keep in mind to never, ever pick at it pull it off or use a lot of force with a toothbrush, it needs to come off on it's own.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom