Stuck Shed? how do i tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
My beardie is nearly 5 months and so he sheds pretty often. His shedding cycle is usually tail > back legs > front legs > head + body > repeat. The last time he shed his tail, the scales underneath did not look as "fresh." Instead, they still seemed very slightly lighter than his body and darkish at the tip of his tail. Is it normal to have another shed starting underneath the shed that just came off? Also, I gave him a long bath last night and now one of his front legs is shedding (which only usually happens after his head, body, tail and hind legs shed). His front legs were the most recent thing to shed and now its shedding again? I am worried he is getting behind on his shedding and that this layer is "stuck shed" that should've some off long ago...

Gail

BD.org Addict
Doesn't sound like stuck shed. Stuck shed will look like a thick build-up, not just a light getting ready to shed appearance.
I've seen adult dragons who's tails are lighter then the body, its more apparent in adults.

The order they shed can change too as their body matures and changes proportion.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Okay, I guess then, what does a "thick build up" look like?

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't have any pictures and couldn't find any online so thats kinda hard to answer.
The stuck bits will look drier then the surrounding skin and might have lifted or ragged edges. It could be quite light in color, depends on how thick it is.

Usually you will see it on the toes or tail end, small areas that are hard for the animal to scrape off. When your dragon sheds, always check the tail and toes to make sure they shed.
If the skin looks loose and flaky but isn't coming off, soak it it it easily comes away.
Never peel or force skin off, if its that tight its not ready to shed.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
clyde612":y772nxdi said:
=Is it normal to have another shed starting underneath the shed that just came off?=
I'm still curious about this. Clyde's tail has looked cloudy (lighter than the rest of his body) since the minute his last tail shed came off––which has been a while. Just today his body got dark and grayer, meaning it will shed soon, but his tail still seems light but tight; not like his body shed which is starting to look loose, saggy, and dull.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
KarrieRee":minjncwd said:
please post a pic of it

Here is it today:

full

My concern is his tail shed. In this photo he had JUST shed his tail the day before, but it already looks cloudy like another shed is underneath it... normal or weird?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes it looks like its going to shed again -- it looks off white to me --

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I'm not worried its uneven, I'm worried that there is somehow a layer of stuck shed on his tail because it never looks "fresh" after shedding like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom