Stubborn RI, we're getting there but nebulising Baytril help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I have posted previously about Merlin my rescue who came to me with an RI. He had two rounds of ceftz with no improvement and I also started nebulising with F10. Still no improvement. Then we finally had xrays and cultures done (money is tight but I have scratched and scraped together what I can at each stage). His lungs look pretty good so that was a relief! And the cultures came back that Baytril was the one.

It will be two weeks Saturday on 0.14ml a day. First week was pretty rough and had me a bit worried but after 4 or so days he perked right up. Since then he's been eating like a champ (for him, he'll only take his veggies in a smoothie syringed which has actually helped because I put his probiotics in there, princess that he is) actually doing a bit of basking and spending more time on his hot side. And his cough does seem to be a bit better but it's very slow going, he often has a dark or black beard and I wonder if nebulising would speed the process up?

I did ask my vet when he prescribed the Baytril if I could nebulise and he said to try the oral first. I have plenty enough left to just carry on with another round. I will also call the vet tomorrow to update and see what he thinks but how do I go about dosing? Is it the same as oral and then add saline?

Any help appreciated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Merlin but it sounds like he is slowly improving. Respiratory infections can definitely be stubborn.
As far as the strength of the Baytril, is it 10% solution?
If so, you can use 1ML of Baytril solution to 5MLS of saline. It should nebulize for around 10 minutes or
so, estimated. Nebulization can definitely help to deliver medication further into the lungs for a higher
rate of effectiveness than just oral. It should be used more.
I am glad to hear you are giving a veggie slurry for him, both for hydration & nutrition. That should help
out immensely for him.

Tracie

felinevintage

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor Merlin but it sounds like he is slowly improving. Respiratory infections can definitely be stubborn.
As far as the strength of the Baytril, is it 10% solution?
If so, you can use 1ML of Baytril solution to 5MLS of saline. It should nebulize for around 10 minutes or
so, estimated. Nebulization can definitely help to deliver medication further into the lungs for a higher
rate of effectiveness than just oral. It should be used more.
I am glad to hear you are giving a veggie slurry for him, both for hydration & nutrition. That should help
out immensely for him.

Tracie
Thanks so much! Bottle says 2.5% oral 100ml (I'm in the UK if that helps, I'm guessing our meds may be different concentrations and such).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom