Stubborn baby doesn’t want to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamshaheen

I bought a baby bearded dragon tuesday the 11th and ever since then he has rarely eaten. I’ve tried mealworms, crickets, and now BSFL. Hell eat 2 or 3 every couple hours but will never eat a good amount. His salad also never gets touched. His temperatures are good and I’ve used a digital thermometer with a probe and a temp gun and got the same results. I have a t8 mounted inside of his tank too. Any help?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I bought a baby bearded dragon tuesday the 11th and ever since then he has rarely eaten. I’ve tried mealworms, crickets, and now BSFL. Hell eat 2 or 3 every couple hours but will never eat a good amount. His salad also never gets touched. His temperatures are good and I’ve used a digital thermometer with a probe and a temp gun and got the same results. I have a t8 mounted inside of his tank too. Any help?
You have the cover off the T 8 fixture right and is the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece ? Take your BSFL and put them on his salads - first thing in the morning -- it sounds like hes going thru relocation stress and that will effect the appetite - you have only had him a few weeks? Does he look like hes losing weight ? Is he actively basking and moving around the tank?

adamshaheen

Original Poster
You have the cover off the T 8 fixture right and is the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece ? Take your BSFL and put them on his salads - first thing in the morning -- it sounds like hes going thru relocation stress and that will effect the appetite - you have only had him a few weeks? Does he look like hes losing weight ? Is he actively basking and moving around the tank?
Uhh cover? I don’t feel a cover around the bulb. The tube bulb is above his leaves but that isn’t his basking spot as I wouldn’t really be able to have his basking spot and his uvb at the same are since the uvb would block the heat. I’m seeing a lot of stress marks under him and I’ve had a brand new salad consisting of squash, strawberries, bell peppers and collard greens. I put 15~ bsfl in the salad and they’ve been hiding under it so I normally move them every hour or two so he notices them. He doesn’t move around and just stays in his basking spot all day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Uhh cover? I don’t feel a cover around the bulb. The tube bulb is above his leaves but that isn’t his basking spot as I wouldn’t really be able to have his basking spot and his uvb at the same are since the uvb would block the heat. I’m seeing a lot of stress marks under him and I’ve had a brand new salad consisting of squash, strawberries, bell peppers and collard greens. I put 15~ bsfl in the salad and they’ve been hiding under it so I normally move them every hour or two so he notices them. He doesn’t move around and just stays in his basking spot all day.
Poor little guy- the uvb should not have a cover over the bulb some fixtures will -+- bulb needs to be exposed if it is covered staying in his basking spot all day is good and not good as he needs the uvb-- so something is off- post pics of the tank please and what are you using for a basking bulb? I know I helped you set this up but I can't remember exactly your lighting

adamshaheen

Original Poster
Poor little guy- the uvb should not have a cover over the bulb some fixtures will -+- bulb needs to be exposed if it is covered staying in his basking spot all day is good and not good as he needs the uvb-- so something is off- post pics of the tank please and what are you using for a basking bulb? I know I helped you set this up but I can't remember exactly your lighting
I’m using a zoo med 100 watt basking bulb. Here’s a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m using a zoo med 100 watt basking bulb. Here’s a picture
You need to get the T 8 in the tank they are not strong enough to go thru screens or upgrade to a T 5 - your distance for a T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah it’s mounted inside since I got it.
I am sorry it looked like it was on top of the screen --
Yeah it’s mounted inside since I got it.
Ok so probe is good --- is he not sitting in the leaves under the UVB at all? you may haft to get a different piece of decor under that UVB the bigger he gets he wont be able to sit in those leaves he will be too big - can you move the hammock so its under both the basking light and the UVB

adamshaheen

Original Poster
I am sorry it looked like it was on top of the screen --

Ok so probe is good --- is he not sitting in the leaves under the UVB at all? you may haft to get a different piece of decor under that UVB the bigger he gets he wont be able to sit in those leaves he will be too big - can you move the hammock so its under both the basking light and the UVB
I moved the hammock on both sides so now there’s a tiny basking spot that he can lay on if he wants abs most of the hammock is 6 inches under the uvb bulb. I also used a ceramic heat bulb on the other side as the “cool” side is 68 degrees which was way too cold.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I moved the hammock on both sides so now there’s a tiny basking spot that he can lay on if he wants abs most of the hammock is 6 inches under the uvb bulb. I also used a ceramic heat bulb on the other side as the “cool” side is 68 degrees which was way too cold.
No 68 is a good temp at night- 65-75 is what you want unless your dragon is sick you want the cooler and dark temps

adamshaheen

Original Poster
No 68 is a good temp at night- 65-75 is what you want unless your dragon is sick you want the cooler and dark temps
It’s 68 on the cool side all day not just night. He poops regularly but todays was a bit runny compared to the last. He hasn’t ate anything all day either and seems really scared of me with a lot of stress marks. I will handle him less and try to hand feed him every day. I also ordered 200 more nutrigrubs and 12 hornworms to see if I can use those to trust me

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s 68 on the cool side all day not just night. He poops regularly but todays was a bit runny compared to the last. He hasn’t ate anything all day either and seems really scared of me with a lot of stress marks. I will handle him less and try to hand feed him every day. I also ordered 200 more nutrigrubs and 12 hornworms to see if I can use those to trust me
Ok please get the cool side up to 80's during the day

adamshaheen

Original Poster
Ok please get the cool side up to 80's during the day
Update: I decided to try not hand feeding him this time. He ate some bsfl but not many. I cleaned his tank and got his temperatures correct with the basking spot being 110-115 and the cool side around 75-80. This is what I gave him this morning and he has only ate 5-7~ bsfl. I see him glad surfing a lot now compared to the past and decided to put a large blanket around the tank. He still seems to do it. The stress marks are also still there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update: I decided to try not hand feeding him this time. He ate some bsfl but not many. I cleaned his tank and got his temperatures correct with the basking spot being 110-115 and the cool side around 75-80. This is what I gave him this morning and he has only ate 5-7~ bsfl. I see him glad surfing a lot now compared to the past and decided to put a large blanket around the tank. He still seems to do it. The stress marks are also still there
The 110-115 is too hot please get it down to 105-110 your heating the tank up to hot - get it down please+

adamshaheen

Original Poster
The 110-115 is too hot please get it down to 105-110 your heating the tank up to hot - get it down please+
Update: I woke him up about 8 hours ago and gave him some bsfl and a tiny salad in his ceramic bowl. His temperatures was about 85 on the cool side, 95 on the warm side, and 108 in his basking spot. I just came back home 8 hours later and the salad wasn’t touched neither were the bsfl. Everything was on point, his Uv, temp, humidity, and I wasn’t with him all day. I’m stuck now. My last straw is the hornworms. If he doesn’t eat the hornworms which I’ve heard all beardie like, I’m most likely gonna take him to a vet. His stress marks are still there too and his weight has only went up by 1g since I got him. He feels weaker and his tail feels softer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom