stressed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my new beardie Blaze had been settling in great, and then on Friday night my husband and I had a very loud argument that lasted for a couple of hours. So he went from eating upwards of 30 crickets a day back down to like 10.

I'm hoping that he will be okay in a few days, my husband and I noticed the change in him immediately the next day(the argument happened just before his lights out), and we both felt terrible and we will make sure that if we have to have an argument from now on that we take it outside. He is still eating some, still pooping regularly, on Saturday it was the worst because he didn't poop in his bath as he normally does, but my husband gave him a secondary bath later in the day and he did poop then, and then resumed his normal schedule on Sunday.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Did it cause lasting problems, or will he be okay in a few days you think?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think your dragon is trying to tell you something.... :mrgreen:

Anyways, how long have you had the dragon? If only a few days, it could just be the relocation stress setting in, or the argument could have frightened him. If the latter, then he should be over it in a day or two.

-Brandon

Deadgrlsprstr

Original Poster
Thanks for replying Brandon, we've had him since a couple days after Christmas so almost two weeks now. I'm pretty sure it was the argument plus whatever is left of his relocation stress. So hopefully he'll be feeling better by tomorrow or the next day.

What is he trying to tell me??

Thanks again
~DGS

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Deadgrlsprstr":3etzdbsn said:
What is he trying to tell me??

Well, I was just making a joke about how he would prefer you to spend time with him instead of spend the time arguing. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Deadgrlsprstr

Original Poster
That's what I figured, thanks again. Hopefully he will be eating his full quota again by tomorrow or the next day.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well don't keep us in the dark, keep us updated on your little guy. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Deadgrlsprstr

Original Poster
I don't know if he will be mine much longer, I don't feel like I can care for him the way he needs to be cared for. I mangled the screen top of his tank trying to mount a cabinet fixture uvb for him. the wire hangers I was trying to hook it up with ripped the screen, then I decided just to cut the back portion of the screen out, but I cut a little too much, and now I'm afraid he will try to jump out and mangle his poor little self on the sharp edges.... I don't know what to do. I got very frustrated because I spent a crap load of money on the fixture and the bulbs which are the much reccomended and apparently ONLY acceptable Reptisun brand, so now I have to buy a whole new top and a different setup for the damn lights. I've spent more on Blaze in the couple of weeks I've had him then I've spent on my cat in 8 years.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, in Blazes defense, he is an exotic reptile, and cats are domesticated mammals that don't require any special living arrangements.

Dragons are very rewarding, it's just the beginning and getting everything setup right that is slightly frustrating.

-Brandon

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Blaze. I had to chuckle though with your story about having to move arguments outside so as not to disturb him. I remember doing that same thing with Dewey when he was a baby. I was constantly hushing people and the dogs so it didn't spook my new baby. We can be so protective of them!

Don't give up on him yet. What kind of enclosure do you have him in again? Is it just a regular glass 40 gallon breeder? If it is, that's the setup I had for Dewey. To mount his Reptisun bulb I just used those 3m Command clips. I was worried it might fall, but they held up very well. Years later that viv is still empty, but the light fixture is still tightly secured to the side. The light fixture I used is an under the cabinet style that you'd find in a kitchen. It had holes on it that you can use to put the clips through. Does your fixture have that?

Again I'm sorry, you're having all these issues. As Brandon said beardies are very rewarding, but getting started can be overwhelming because you want everything to be just perfect. I'm one of the biggest worry warts you'd ever meet and I stressed a lot when Dewey was a baby and now that he's gone there's nothing I wouldn't do to get him back. Just keep working at it. Try to be patient, and you'll be just fine. So will Blaze!

Deadgrlsprstr

Original Poster
hey, so it's been a bit, he's been doing very well, I fixed up his top with some ducttape, still using the zilla tube for right now, and he seems fine so far. he's been eating very well, upwards of 20 a day, the last couple of days he's been shedding but still eating up till today. He's had some worries today, his bath was fine, he pooped like normal. My husband put two crix in the tank for him and he showed no interest, we eventually took both of them out. We left him in the tank, he basked, went in his hammock under his uv. I took him out around 3:30 to play with him a bit, he ran around, pooped again, we cleaned it up, and put him back in the tank.

A little after that he suddenly ran down and I thought he ran into his greens bowl, he went back up his log, stopped in the middle and stood very upright which was odd. After a bit he ran back up to the top, then jumped into his hammock. I passed the tank, and it looked like he had maybe pooped again, but on a second glance it appears he threw up a small amount in the greens bowl, and on the side of it. I cleaned it and he seems okay now, but I'm worried obviously because he puked. Other than today he's been doing very well and eating like it's his job. I was so happy and excited that he had started to shed, now I'm back to worried and not sure if I'm doing the best thing for him.

Deadgrlsprstr

Original Poster
decided to post some pics of him from today. These are all from the second time we brought him out which was about a half hour to 45 mins ago. He was very active while he was out, the first pic I took after we put him back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom