Stressed baby beardie?

Marie96

Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Hello! I have about a 4ish month old beardie. I’ve had her for over 2 mo. I’ve noticed lately she’s very dark underneath and has stress lines always. She’s eating and going to the bathroom fine. I was wondering if this could be a health concern or something else? Maybe it’s normal, but I don’t think so? Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😄

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
Stress marks are semi-normal. What’s her enclosure and setup like? Also, how often is she held? The main thing we need to do is find the cause of her stress marks.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please go over your lighting. Post pics of your setup focusing on the lighting. Also go over your basking temps. These are the most critical and easiest things to fix or rule out.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
I had a baby beardie about the same age, eating fine bowel movements fine, but he was sluggish, did'nt seem so energetic and he ALWAYS had very dark stress lines that never went away, well after 31 days he died, and this is to NOT to alarm you i just want to help, it just may have been to high of a humidity or he had and infection, sometimes when its to hot or told cold they're stressed or loud noises, they're very sensitive hearing wise. I got a new beardie and its not stressed at all. Can I ask if you got yours from a local petstore like petsmart or petco?

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Stress marks are semi-normal. What’s her enclosure and setup like? Also, how often is she held? The main thing we need to do is find the cause of her stress marks.
She’s held about 2-3 times a day very short periods I don’t really ever take her out of her tank I hold her in her tank so I can get her used to it. She does not seem to mind me holding her. She will crawl onto my hand without me doing anything. I’ve attached a photo of her tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 66

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Please go over your lighting. Post pics of your setup focusing on the lighting. Also go over your basking temps. These are the most critical and easiest things to fix or rule out.
Ok the temps of her basking spot is between 107-110 degrees. Her cool side is usually in the high 80’s. I use a infra red temp gun to check these. And I have a digital temp inside her tank on both sides. Her humidity is usually 23-27% and goes up to 31% at night.

Attachments

• 762D5A7D-B8C6-4497-B1D2-7095D2720A69.jpeg
    762D5A7D-B8C6-4497-B1D2-7095D2720A69.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok the temps of her basking spot is between 107-110 degrees. Her cool side is usually in the high 80’s. I use a infra red temp gun to check these. And I have a digital temp inside her tank on both sides. Her humidity is usually 23-27% and goes up to 31% at night.
Please get two digital probe thermometers-- the cool side of the tan is too warm - you want it lower 80's - the IR guns are good to have but you want accurate surface basking temps- the probes will give you that-- the UVB is on top of the screen -- is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This is critical --- and what bulb is it ? T 5 or a T 8?

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
I had a baby beardie about the same age, eating fine bowel movements fine, but he was sluggish, did'nt seem so energetic and he ALWAYS had very dark stress lines that never went away, well after 31 days he died, and this is to NOT to alarm you i just want to help, it just may have been to high of a humidity or he had and infection, sometimes when its to hot or told cold they're stressed or loud noises, they're very sensitive hearing wise. I got a new beardie and its not stressed at all. Can I ask if you got yours from a local petstore like petsmart or petco?
Unfortunately I didn’t know the dangers of getting them at a store like pet smart. I know now though. And it’s a good thing I did hour upon hours of research before hand because everything they told me to do was completely wrong 😫 they told its fine to feed mealworms every other day as there bugs for the day. Which doing that is soooo not good for them. She also advised me to get calcium sand saying what everyone says about it is a myth 😟 I wish at these pet stores there were actually people who knew what they were talking about. Anyway I just get so upset with these chain pet stores because there animals are just products to them. im done rambling now lol 😂

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Please get two digital probe thermometers-- the cool side of the tan is too warm - you want it lower 80's - the IR guns are good to have but you want accurate surface basking temps- the probes will give you that-- the UVB is on top of the screen -- is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? This is critical --- and what bulb is it ? T 5 or a T 8?
It’s a T-5. Heres a pic of the top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also I didn’t mean to say higher 80s I meant to say lower 80s. My bad 🤦‍♀️
Ok so that is good -- what about your UVB --- this could be causing the stress marks -- we want to get the UVB correctly placed and distanced

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Unfortunately I didn’t know the dangers of getting them at a store like pet smart. I know now though. And it’s a good thing I did hour upon hours of research before hand because everything they told me to do was completely wrong 😫 they told its fine to feed mealworms every other day as there bugs for the day. Which doing that is soooo not good for them. She also advised me to get calcium sand saying what everyone says about it is a myth 😟 I wish at these pet stores there were actually people who knew what they were talking about. Anyway I just get so upset with these chain pet stores because there animals are just products to them. im done rambling now lol 😂
They are not truely malicious, but they are under trained. Everytime i hear them giving bad info, i butt in and correct them, i encourage everyone to do the same. If we keep even just one beardie (or any animal) for being neglected it worth it.

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
They are not truely malicious, but they are under trained. Everytime i hear them giving bad info, i butt in and correct them, i encourage everyone to do the same. If we keep even just one beardie (or any animal) for being neglected it worth it.
Absolutely 😄

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
lol most people dont, the first one i got from petco died 31 days after, one monday actually halloween, but they gave me a $108 refund to get a new one but i did not get it from there, i went to a reptilium store 33 min away and got one there which seems to be wayyy healthier but yours may be perfectly fine, it wasnt to concern you at all, mealworms are okay as a treat there exoskeleton is just hard for babies and might lead in ingestion problems, dubia roaches are the way to go fs, but just make more the food is no bigger than the space between there eyes, i prefer TerraSahara sand, its bioactive substrate and its really good, they do do better on loose substrate tho, you got this!!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom