Strange breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeronicaM

Here is a video of how my 7 month old beardie is breathing while he’s basking. We just got him a week ago from a situation that was not ideal for him. He was malnourished and dehydrated and filthy. But we’ve been feeding him well, hydrating, and bathed him a couple times. He seems great normally. Strong appetite, eats all his food, poops normal looking poop 3 times a day. He has energy and is very friendly. Only when he goes on his branch to bask, he starts breathing like this. Also today he fully puffed out with his black beard for like no reason. I haven’t seen him shed at all, so could that be that maybe he’s about to shed his skin? By the way his tank temp is 82 degrees in the non basking area. Any advice or person experiences is much appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is a video of how my 7 month old beardie is breathing while he’s basking. We just got him a week ago from a situation that was not ideal for him. He was malnourished and dehydrated and filthy. But we’ve been feeding him well, hydrating, and bathed him a couple times. He seems great normally. Strong appetite, eats all his food, poops normal looking poop 3 times a day. He has energy and is very friendly. Only when he goes on his branch to bask, he starts breathing like this. Also today he fully puffed out with his black beard for like no reason. I haven’t seen him shed at all, so could that be that maybe he’s about to shed his skin? By the way his tank temp is 82 degrees in the non basking area. Any advice or person experiences is much appreciated
Basking temps and UVB are crucial --- what are they and how are you taking them they should be 95-100 on that surface hes sitting and UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils please

VeronicaM

Original Poster
Basking temps and UVB are crucial --- what are they and how are you taking them they should be 95-100 on that surface hes sitting and UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils please
I bought the enclosure with thermometers on both sides but the basking area is in the middle. So I guess I will have to get a third thermometer for the middle area to be sure. And yes, it’s a long UVB light. I put a post on Facebook and everyone there thinks my boy is actually a girl and is gravid!!! She has a lumpy belly and started to dig a bit today and her appetite is insatiable.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I bought the enclosure with thermometers on both sides but the basking area is in the middle. So I guess I will have to get a third thermometer for the middle area to be sure. And yes, it’s a long UVB light. I put a post on Facebook and everyone there thinks my boy is actually a girl and is gravid!!! She has a lumpy belly and started to dig a bit today and her appetite is insatiable.
What kind of UVB brand and bulb please -- if you can post pics of the dragon we can get him/ her sexed --- have you felt for eggs? Digging would be a good sign of gravid if she is indeed a female

VeronicaM

Original Poster
The uv bulb is zoo-med-reptisun 5.0 t-5. And here are some pictures. I also included one of the lumpy belly. No I haven’t felt for the eggs yet, I don’t like to take her off her basking branch when she’s up there. But I definitely will feel in the morning.

Attachments

• 282FAF8E-4EA6-4B37-B6DF-D12F38E52A71.jpeg
    282FAF8E-4EA6-4B37-B6DF-D12F38E52A71.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 116
  • 362B44E2-22AD-4BFC-8132-8152155779B8.jpeg
    362B44E2-22AD-4BFC-8132-8152155779B8.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0666.MOV
    6 MB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The uv bulb is zoo-med-reptisun 5.0 t-5. And here are some pictures. I also included one of the lumpy belly. No I haven’t felt for the eggs yet, I don’t like to take her off her basking branch when she’s up there. But I definitely will feel in the morning.
Please upgrade your bulb to a 10.0 -- where in the tank is the uvb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the fixture has a reflector--? The 5.0 is more for a aquarium you want a 10.0 it's for reptiles- when you change it out distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- the breathing issue may or may not be related but your dragon will benefit in the long run

VeronicaM

Original Poster
Ok the fixture has a reflector--? The 5.0 is more for a aquarium you want a 10.0 it's for reptiles- when you change it out distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- the breathing issue may or may not be related but your dragon will benefit in the long run
So is the light too close right now? And yes, if you mean that little metal cover type thing, there is a reflector. Did you see the pictures of Spike? Does she seem like a girl?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So is the light too close right now? And yes, if you mean that little metal cover type thing, there is a reflector. Did you see the pictures of Spike? Does she seem like a girl?
Distance for the 5.0 is 6-8 inches- I am sorry I should of explained put her on a table butt facing camera w/ her tail pulled up so we can see her vent-

VeronicaM

Original Poster
Distance for the 5.0 is 6-8 inches- I am sorry I should of explained put her on a table butt facing camera w/ her tail pulled up so we can see her vent-
Haha! Duh, I thought maybe you could tell by her body shape or pattern. Shows how much I know. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I will do that when she wakes up in the morning. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She does have a nice round belly. Sometimes in the later stages of egg development, they may take on more of a
pear shape to their belly. How long has her belly been more rounded?
If she does have eggs, that can also press up against their stomach & other organs which could affect her breathing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom