strange behaviour

Victoriabandit

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
Hi Everyone!
My bearded dragon is 7 months old, and in the last couple weeks he’s been sleeping in his cave until 3pm! All morning and early afternoon he sits in there with a black beard. I feed him BSFL in the cave around 3pm to try and encourage him to come out. Today I picked him up and was sitting with him and after 5 min, he pooped on me! On our way back to his cage he jumped off my shoulder and ran into our laundry room and hid under the front of the machine. Currently he is in his cage gripped onto the thermometer…I have no idea what is going on, whether it’s brumation, shedding, teenage hormones??? He usually likes me but lately he’s acting like he doesn’t! Looking for any advice or is anyone else experiencing this type of behaviour? Thanks 😊

Attachments

• 5828DA39-79B6-43F2-8340-BF73FF3E6B56.jpeg
    5828DA39-79B6-43F2-8340-BF73FF3E6B56.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 79

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Everyone!
My bearded dragon is 7 months old, and in the last couple weeks he’s been sleeping in his cave until 3pm! All morning and early afternoon he sits in there with a black beard. I feed him BSFL in the cave around 3pm to try and encourage him to come out. Today I picked him up and was sitting with him and after 5 min, he pooped on me! On our way back to his cage he jumped off my shoulder and ran into our laundry room and hid under the front of the machine. Currently he is in his cage gripped onto the thermometer…I have no idea what is going on, whether it’s brumation, shedding, teenage hormones??? He usually likes me but lately he’s acting like he doesn’t! Looking for any advice or is anyone else experiencing this type of behaviour? Thanks 😊
Please get your UVB moved over him or get a piece of basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb -- you need to get 2 digital probe thermometers for the hot side of the tank and cool side of the tank - surface basking temps should be 95-100 the one your using is giving ambient temps only -- it sounds like his behavior is reacting to his temps and UVB the way its placed --

Victoriabandit

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Bandit
Please get your UVB moved over him or get a piece of basking decor directly under it 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb -- you need to get 2 digital probe thermometers for the hot side of the tank and cool side of the tank - surface basking temps should be 95-100 the one your using is giving ambient temps only -- it sounds like his behavior is reacting to his temps and UVB the way its placed --
Thanks for the advice! So that rock cave when placed under the UVB light is about 6 inches away from the light which would be too close, right? so I should get a lower spot under the uvb and keep the tall cave by the basking spot?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for the advice! So that rock cave when placed under the UVB light is about 6 inches away from the light which would be too close, right? so I should get a lower spot under the uvb and keep the tall cave by the basking spot?
You want a piece of decor 12-15 inches for a T 5 bulb -- 6" is too close -- you need a piece of decor under your basking light that is keeping temps 95-100-- its good to offer a piece of decor that will gradient heat something like this Thrive Driftwood Reptile Decor | reptile Habitat Décor | PetSmart
I use these in my two tanks w/ the big trunk part under the basking light and the stick part so its laying on the floor of the tank - my dragons sit all over this piece either leaning on it or using the stick as a pillow / head rest

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom