Stitch and Sydney- New pics pg 22!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a beardie yesterday, and am looking for a little support group overall for the most part, and any advice you have to give... and hopefully to watch this little one progress from pitaful to fat and sassy over the next months!!! For some quick background info...I'm a long time lurker of several bearded dragon forums over the past 7 years, and I've had 2 beardies over the past 6.5 years, but have always been a 1 beardie household (until today). My first I had for 5 years, before he passed from a long term illness, and then I've had a new baby for just over a year.
This one ended up with me yesterday. I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but he ended up with a wildlife rehabber about 3 weeks ago, who has to go through major surgery and who has been trying to get a better home for him since then. He was supposedly bitten by another bearded dragon on the tail base before going to the rehabber, but in my opinion it looks more like a dog bite. He's skinny, and the saddest part is apparently he put on "good weight" over the past 3 weeks - his little hip bones are all sticking out :( Here is a first picture, but I"m not sure how well the skinniness will come through
7544944_photobucket_18792_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_18793_.jpg

At the vet's office we did a full workup - got that scab off and the skin and area cleaned up, bloodwork, xrays, took a biopsy of the wound to make sure the yellow coloration around it isn't yellow fungus , and got him started on antibiotics and pain meds. He never would poo at the office, so no sample to test there (stinker). Here is a pic afterwards, in the 2nd bath of the day
7544944_photobucket_18794_.jpg

Things look better at that point, and he's lightened up a little bit at least.
I've got lights, etc on order for him, but for now, my tortoise was nice enough to share her UVB light , and we'll shift some lights around to get things up to temp, and then hopefully my next week all my stuff will be in and he'll be set up.
As I mentioned earlier support and advice are welcomed! Luckily my significant other, Matt, loves the beardies too, but doesn't quite understand :) I know many of you guys will !!! I've already become alarmingly attached to this dude, and have named him Stitch. This is the fastest I've named something in a long time, so hopefully that's not a jinx, but will give him something to aspire too. Figured the name worked...he's a rescue, but still a bit fiesty, and maybe he'll aspire to some mischievousness over time :D
When I got him home tonight and put him in the 3rd bath of the day (where i finally got poo :blob5: ) he lightened up the most I'd seen him, so I'm hoping he knows that he's HOME... and that's my anthropomorphizing for the day... (But check out the pics?? What do yall think ?????)
7544944_photobucket_18790_.jpg

and then snuggling in a towel - he's not sure quite what to make of this I think, but is still snuggled in the towel propped on my leg as I type....
7544944_photobucket_18789_.jpg

I'll have questions and concerns soon I'm sure, but I wanted to introduce Stitch !!
Carrie

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Poor Stitch wasn't feeling good today... He had a grumpy black beard all morning, and then had a gross stool that was mostly undigested turnip greens (from Wed) and then during his bath he puked up another wad of undigested turnips... He did eat anything today at all :( We rechecked a fecal and it some abnormal bacteria, but nothing major. I hope it was just something odd and not anything major. :( After he puked up the greens he did seem happier though.... hopefully he'll be back to normal tomorrow.....

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
HI, sorry Stitch is feeling bad today. Maybe he just has a tummy bug. There have been a lot of puking dragons on
here for the last couple of days. Gobi had a bug a couple of weeks ago but we found out it was her silkworms making
her sick. They had this really horrible smell to them. When I gave them to her they seemed fine but the next morning
when I opened the container they were really really stinky. Someone said they could have had a bacteria on them. I threw
what was left away and got new ones. All better now. Who knows? Hopefully stitch will feel better tomorrow.
Let us know. Love all the pix.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Stitch seems to be feeling better today - didn't have his grumpy beard all day long at least!!

jeritta":1e47jgyr said:
HI, sorry Stitch is feeling bad today. Maybe he just has a tummy bug. There have been a lot of puking dragons on
here for the last couple of days. Gobi had a bug a couple of weeks ago but we found out it was her silkworms making
her sick. They had this really horrible smell to them. When I gave them to her they seemed fine but the next morning
when I opened the container they were really really stinky.
Yea a bunch of my silkworms have been dying .. I was thinking it might have been not feeding enough or getting too moist .. but they weren't moist until they started dying and then got gross really quick....so I dunno. Maybe it was a bad batch of silkworms versus my lack of experience with silkworms ? But Stitch didn't have any silks Wednesday, and he was sick on Thurs, so I'm not sure if that's the cause or not.
He ate a bite of greens this afternoon and ate a few of my non nasty, non dying silkworms and wanted more, so at least the appetite is good today ! I started giving him the critical care again yesterday so maybe that will help a bit. He hasn't had a "normal poo" yet, but they were WAY worse yesterday... yuck and were still pretty undigested earlier today.

On a brighter note... Stitch shed his lips and nostrils today :) The color is much brighter underneath. I was so excited to see the whole nose plug come out I took a pic...
7544944_photobucket_22706_.jpg

And here is a pic from tonight in the tub, and then a close up of his tail wound - which is looking much better !
7544944_photobucket_22708_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_22709_.jpg

And then a couple more of funny sleep positions... he sleeps like a baby! lol
This isn't the best picture, but shows off how he's sleeping :)
7544944_photobucket_22282_.jpg

and then a couple nights later I saw this.. sooooooo comfy :roll:
7544944_photobucket_22283_.jpg

I'll update soon about how Stitch is feeling.
Carrie

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Glad stitch is feeling better. His wound looks a thousand times better now. Love the pics and I bet he really will be
beautiful after he sheds.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
the wound is looking so much better! also, it's cool to see that whole nose plug. never seen that all at once before.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
nair88":11p2l0t7 said:
the wound is looking so much better! also, it's cool to see that whole nose plug. never seen that all at once before.
Glad you liked it :) I was pretty excited when the whole thing came out at once...hence the pictures obviously... :lol:

Here are a couple more pics I think you will enjoy... Stitch was jealous that I was looking at other dragon's sexy leg pictures on here and he made sure that I knew he had sexy legs too... Enjoy ! I did :)

7544944_photobucket_22908_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_22909_.jpg

Carrie

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
love it! it's great to see another dragon who sits like that. falkor always rests her tail on her hammock and lets her hind legs dangle. it's so cute! :)

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
hehe, yea I looked over there at the cage and did a doubletake :) and then rushed for the camera hehe He sat like that for a while, I haven't seen that position before or since then, but I'm sure he'll find more interesting and super comfy positions over time !! He's in good company with Falkor... maybe she told him about that position... :lol:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks. He's so much spunkier than he was 3 weeks ago when I got him, and feeling better than last week when he made me worry. He shed his lips more over the past couple days and has little orange highlights there... so I can't wait for him to shed and see what he's actually supposed to look like :)
Carrie

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Can't wait on the the shed to finish so we can see pix of the big boy. I bet he is going to be beautiful.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He has 2 feet skimmed over to shed now, but so far the body isn't ready for shedding yet...I'll be excited for his yellow stained feet to be pretty again though :D
He even had an almost normal poo today too jeriita ! :) So I was pretty excited about that.
He ran around work today some on the floor since we weren't very busy and kept ducking under the curtains to peek outside :)

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
I am so glad he is finally having normal poo. Hopefully he is one the right track now. I bet that was cute to see him at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom