Stitch and Sydney- New pics pg 22!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a beardie yesterday, and am looking for a little support group overall for the most part, and any advice you have to give... and hopefully to watch this little one progress from pitaful to fat and sassy over the next months!!! For some quick background info...I'm a long time lurker of several bearded dragon forums over the past 7 years, and I've had 2 beardies over the past 6.5 years, but have always been a 1 beardie household (until today). My first I had for 5 years, before he passed from a long term illness, and then I've had a new baby for just over a year.
This one ended up with me yesterday. I'm not entirely sure of all the details, but he ended up with a wildlife rehabber about 3 weeks ago, who has to go through major surgery and who has been trying to get a better home for him since then. He was supposedly bitten by another bearded dragon on the tail base before going to the rehabber, but in my opinion it looks more like a dog bite. He's skinny, and the saddest part is apparently he put on "good weight" over the past 3 weeks - his little hip bones are all sticking out :( Here is a first picture, but I"m not sure how well the skinniness will come through
7544944_photobucket_18792_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_18793_.jpg

At the vet's office we did a full workup - got that scab off and the skin and area cleaned up, bloodwork, xrays, took a biopsy of the wound to make sure the yellow coloration around it isn't yellow fungus , and got him started on antibiotics and pain meds. He never would poo at the office, so no sample to test there (stinker). Here is a pic afterwards, in the 2nd bath of the day
7544944_photobucket_18794_.jpg

Things look better at that point, and he's lightened up a little bit at least.
I've got lights, etc on order for him, but for now, my tortoise was nice enough to share her UVB light , and we'll shift some lights around to get things up to temp, and then hopefully my next week all my stuff will be in and he'll be set up.
As I mentioned earlier support and advice are welcomed! Luckily my significant other, Matt, loves the beardies too, but doesn't quite understand :) I know many of you guys will !!! I've already become alarmingly attached to this dude, and have named him Stitch. This is the fastest I've named something in a long time, so hopefully that's not a jinx, but will give him something to aspire too. Figured the name worked...he's a rescue, but still a bit fiesty, and maybe he'll aspire to some mischievousness over time :D
When I got him home tonight and put him in the 3rd bath of the day (where i finally got poo :blob5: ) he lightened up the most I'd seen him, so I'm hoping he knows that he's HOME... and that's my anthropomorphizing for the day... (But check out the pics?? What do yall think ?????)
7544944_photobucket_18790_.jpg

and then snuggling in a towel - he's not sure quite what to make of this I think, but is still snuggled in the towel propped on my leg as I type....
7544944_photobucket_18789_.jpg

I'll have questions and concerns soon I'm sure, but I wanted to introduce Stitch !!
Carrie

fez09

Extreme Poster
Awwwww, Stitch is getting all kinds of lovin!!! I liked the outdoor pics, wish we didn't have rain :? I'm glad that he enjoyed the silworms, mine love them and they are so nutritious! I would say give him a week or so with regulated food intake to make sure that he is really hydrated and that his poos are normal before letting him eat as much as he wants...How many feeders are you allowing him per day right now?

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
I am happy he is doing better and enjoying the new silks. He seems so happy and his colors are sooooo much brighter now. He really is beautiful.
I am glad he enjoyed his trip to his "grandparents" house. It sounds like he had fun. the pics are great. Thanks for keeping us updated. :D

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fez09":22gpanxh said:
Awwwww, Stitch is getting all kinds of lovin!!! I liked the outdoor pics, wish we didn't have rain :? I'm glad that he enjoyed the silworms, mine love them and they are so nutritious! I would say give him a week or so with regulated food intake to make sure that he is really hydrated and that his poos are normal before letting him eat as much as he wants...How many feeders are you allowing him per day right now?

He had 10 medium-large silkworms yesterday, which I think was pushing the limit for him, so I'm glad I stopped then. Today he had 12 total, but split into 8 silk's and then 2 medium hornworms and 2 more silks several hours later. I think he would have eaten quite a few more if I let him... :roll: He was some kind of excited about the hornworms... he jumped on them :) He's not eating much salad at all yet, but a couple of the silkworms stuck to the greens when he ate them... :lol: Sorry yall are having rain :( It rained for about 5 days straight here the other week, so I feel your pain.

jeritta":22gpanxh said:
I am happy he is doing better and enjoying the new silks. He seems so happy and his colors are sooooo much brighter now. He really is beautiful.
I am glad he enjoyed his trip to his "grandparents" house. It sounds like he had fun. the pics are great. Thanks for keeping us updated. :D

He really is much brighter! One of my friends called him "emotional" because he'll darken up so fast, and then go back to being lighter :lol: He got really light a few times out in the sunshine (YAY Eastern North Carolina sunshine and warm temps lol) and had light yellow stripes on his head and then bluer sidebars and down his spine. I can't wait until he has some good light and nutrition and sheds and see what colors come out :) But I think he really is feeling better - more active, fighting me more on the meds, and had a decent looking poo and a good amount of it today!

Stitch definitely enjoyed visiting the grandparents. He already has my Mom wrapped around his little finger... with a little glass dance on the screen door she'd whisk him outside again . He was outside for at least 3 hours total today :blob5: And after Stitch buried himself in the towels, Mom insisted we go and find the soft little baby blankets and pick out some for him to have. He enjoyed snuggling last night in one of my old baby blankets :) Like I said wrapped around his little finger :roll:

Thanks again for checking in on Stitch. I enjoy showing him off. I'll have to introduce Sydney officially on this thread sometime and post some pictures of her. I think she's ready for an official hide box for brumation....Silly sleepy girl.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Good news... the biopsy from the tail wound didn't show any signs of yellow fungus !!! YAY :blob8: His wound is looking better and better.
At least Stitch takes his meds pretty well... he'll lick them for the most part of his nose drop by drop and then take some Critical Care the same way. After his mediations today he got to run around the living room a few minutes... He checked things out... gave the whole room a good general head bob :lol: and ran around and seemed to enjoy himself.

Stitch ate most of his greens today for the first time :blob5: I was so excited I took several pictures.
7544944_photobucket_20519_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_20518_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_20517_.jpg

He ate more throughout the day and finished almost the whole plate. What a good boy!

I also got a picture of feeding him some hornworms - he thinks they are tasty, but my camera wasn't fast enough to get him eating them.. they disappeared too quick ! :)
7544944_photobucket_20599_.jpg

I fed the last of the silkworms in the pod today to Stitch and Sydney... luckily I have 200 more coming tomorrow... lol
After a few silks and hornworms he still seemed hungry, so I offered some more crickets and he chased those down and ate them too. So I think he's feeling much better than he was a week ago !!
Hope you enjoy the update,
Carrie

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks for the update. Glad Stitch is feeling better. It sounds like he is liking those worms too. The pix were great.
He sure looks like he is doing better.
Jeritta

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Quick update...
Stitch is gaining weight :):p
He was 348 grams when I got him about 10 days ago, On monday he was 369g, and today AFTER the giant poo he was 389 grams :blob5: :p
he got more silkworms today and he entertained people at work by eating several :)
Carrie

fez09

Extreme Poster
That's fantastic news!!!!! Silkworms and hornworms are a big hit around here! I loved the pics, he really is very handsome and he will be stunning when he fills out some more. Isn't it sad that someone let him get to that condition, all he needed was food...

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
hi
So happy to read he is enjoying the worms soooooo much and gaining weight. He is beautiful and I can't wait to see
him when he fills out some.
Great job. I bet he's glad you found him.
Jeritta

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fez09":2x5wwxc3 said:
That's fantastic news!!!!! Silkworms and hornworms are a big hit around here! I loved the pics, he really is very handsome and he will be stunning when he fills out some more. Isn't it sad that someone let him get to that condition, all he needed was food...
Yea I agree I think he'll be very handsome once he fills out and sheds.... he's already pretty handsome now esp when he get all light colored with his yellow highlights and blue bars :lol:

jeritta":2x5wwxc3 said:
hi
So happy to read he is enjoying the worms soooooo much and gaining weight. He is beautiful and I can't wait to see him when he fills out some. Great job. I bet he's glad you found him.
Jeritta

Thanks, he does love the worms ! Thanks for the recommendation from you both for those. 200 silkworms arrived yesterday much to Stitch's delight I'm sure. :roll:

I'm glad I found him for sure... glad to be able to make him a happier dragon and he is so funny, so he makes me laugh :lol: For him I'm not sure that I've moved beyond the crazy lady who drives me around everywhere, gives me weird stuff from a syringe, but gives me lots of food... MORE FOOD ... :laughing6: He still gives me odd looks a fair amount of the time and can be a bit of a spaz !

Thanks for checking in :)
Here is one pic... Got home for work and let him run around on the floor while i got his tank set back up... he decided it was bed time instead :)
7544944_photobucket_21058_.jpg

Carrie

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I thought I would share this, figuring people here would be amused. I had a dream about Silkworms last night !!!!! :lol:
It was an Iron Chef-esque type dream, but among lots of strange food being served to me, I was served fried crunchy silkworms. I ate one and it was tasty in my dream world... lol Perhaps I'm channeling my inner dragon ???
Just wanted to share.. The dragons are all warming and waking up currently!

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Wait til you start moving your furniture and building more furniture so you can get "just one more dragon".

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I figured today might be a good time to introduce Sydney. She's about 1.5 years old and I've had her since she was a baby. I got her back in Sept 2009, she's a May 2009 baby
Her first night...what a big hammock.. lol
beardiebaby9-15-091stnight1.jpg

Riding the edge of the hammock.. this is certainly the most comfy position available!
beardiehammock.jpg

Getting measured and hanging out with my kitty Sprinkles... she was SOOO excited to have another beardie in the house :) :)
babybeardie20.jpg

First time in the big tub... Sprinkles couldn't help herself and had to jump in the water to be with her buddy
Sprinklesandbabybathtub14.jpg

Ooo my foot got wet! How did that happen !
Sprinklesandbabybathtub8.jpg

Sydney enjoyed climbing everything she could find... here's a pic of her snuggled on the support for the coffee table
DSC_0630.jpg

And she decided to climb up the screen on our fireplace
fireplace3.jpg

What?
fireplace4.jpg

Here's a pic from Nov 09 enjoying some floor time
DSC_0649.jpg

Getting to be a big girl ! This is Jan 2010
DSC_0931.jpg

Several pics from August...Enjoying some outside time.. Say Cheese!
7544944_photobucket_21194_.jpg

Peeking out the door at work
7544944_photobucket_21195_.jpg

Sleepy time snuggled on the couch
7544944_photobucket_21193_.jpg

Starting to brumate in September... why is it so bright !
7544944_photobucket_21196_.jpg

And one last picture from today.. basking up in the hammock
7544944_photobucket_21192_.jpg

Sydney's a sweet little princess who likes things just so... lol She's in semi-brumation mode... sleep a couple days...then Ooo it's time to eat.. did you say silkworms! SWEET.. thanks Stitch for bringing those into the house!! She got a good look at him a couple days ago.. and I've never seen her turn her beard black until that day :laughing6: She was not impressed that another dragon had invaded her queendom.
Hope you enjoyed all the pictures of Miss Sydney :) I'll try to update stories for her and continued updates on Stitch on this thread!

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Sydney is beautiful too. Hopefully she will accept that she may be the queen but now there is a king in the house too.
Thanks for the pix of Sydney. They are great too.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
New Stitch update !
He's shedding around his wound and part of his leg :) All the yellow colored skin is shedding :) HOORAY
7544944_photobucket_21705_.jpg

2 feet and the edge of his nose is getting ready to shed now too
7544944_photobucket_21708_.jpg

7544944_photobucket_21707_.jpg

Here's a pic showing off how light his head is and his handsome yellow eyes
7544944_photobucket_21709_.jpg

I took a couple of pics today of Stitch taking his meds and eating a little Critical Care from a syringe.. He was being a bit stubborn and has a pretty good mustache going on
Yummy calcium
7544944_photobucket_21710_.jpg

No I don't really want this right now Mom.... where are my silkworms? What do mean in a minute ?
7544944_photobucket_21712_.jpg

*sigh* Ok I guess I will eat some
7544944_photobucket_21713_.jpg

And here he is getting some floor time.. I was amused by the way his foot and tail were positioned.. .He sat like this for about a minute and then took off and frolicked around for a bit and got some silkworms!
7544944_photobucket_21715_.jpg

Enjoy the pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom