Still settling in or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!!
This is my first post here and we are first time reptile owners.
We brought Clive home 5 days ago to what I thought was a happy home and I'm just checking whether this sort of behaviour is normal or not?
He is 7 months old (28/6/21)
So setup is a 4x2x2 Viv, 12% 39W Arcadia T5 uvb kit, 100W reptile systems heat lamp. Ambient temp of warm is 33°C, cold end is 28°C and night of 19°C. These are all measured with digital thermometer probs and I measure surface temp under basking lamp with an IR gun and it's 40-43°C. Humidity is 30% during the day and rises to 40% at night.
So basically Clive doesn't move from his hammock all day! The thing that's concerning me about this is that it is in his cool end? He is still quite wary of us but he is definitely getting better and when it's dinner time he is happily chasing his locusts around will take some from our fingers. However during the day he lies in his hammock virtually all day. Yesterday I was spying on him from my room (as I have just caught covid) and I saw him bask for no longer than 15 minutes once and that was it. He never basks after dinner either. He has had 3 poos since coming home and they haven't been solid but I wouldn't have classed them as diarrhoea either.
So I'm not really worried yet as at dinner time he is very happy but yeah during the day he does really not a lot. I was wondering whether this is normal behaviour or not for a settling in beardie and if so how long should this behaviour last? I'll attach some photos of the setup below.

TIA!!
P.S. I pay no attention to the stick on hygrometer in the top corner, I just haven't taken it off yet, one of the proves is a much better digital one.

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_115429.jpg
    IMG_20220203_115429.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20220203_115409.jpg
    IMG_20220203_115409.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220203_115400.jpg
    IMG_20220203_115400.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20220203_115347.jpg
    IMG_20220203_115347.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220130_083912.jpg
    IMG_20220130_083912.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 79

Clive The Beardie

Original Poster
Oh I forgot to add, he also seems really tired? His lights are on a timer, 0800-1930 however he always tucks into the corner of his hammock before 1930 and tries to sleep?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your setup sounds great, so I think all is OK there. His behavior sounds like he may be settling in or is just in a less energetic phase (this tends to be cyclical). It looks like he may be getting ready to shed too, and that can affect their mood and appetite. If he wants to be on the hammock during the day, that's fine. The ambient room temps aren't harmful and he'll move to the warmer area if he wants to. I'd just let him be for now. I think you're doing well and he'll be just fine.

Clive The Beardie

Original Poster
Your setup sounds great, so I think all is OK there. His behavior sounds like he may be settling in or is just in a less energetic phase (this tends to be cyclical). It looks like he may be getting ready to shed too, and that can affect their mood and appetite. If he wants to be on the hammock during the day, that's fine. The ambient room temps aren't harmful and he'll move to the warmer area if he wants to. I'd just let him be for now. I think you're doing well and he'll be just fine.
Okay, thank you for the advice 😁 just thought it was better to check with people.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Temps both day and night sound perfect as does your humidity. Only thing I would change is up his lighting cycle to 13 hours a day. so 8am - 9pm.

As was said above your lizard is going through relocation stress and is also due to shed. Shedding often causes a temporary change in behaviour. Wouldn't worry about him not moving much because he'll move to a warmer spot if he feels too cold.

Dragons seem to have an extremely accurate internal body clock. My female goes into her cave about 15 minutes before lights out every night to sleep. Your dragon is probably still running on whatever the light cycle was set to by his previous keepers. This will eventually change to match the one you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom