Stewie's Custom Tank Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon21388

Juvie Member
Here I will be keeping track of the build I cam currently doing for Stewie's new tank. I am going off of the crossfire Viv plans but made a couple mods it it as I pleased.

Tank Dimensions are: 48" x 24" x 24" (This ended up a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be and a lot heavier)

Parts:
For the wood I used Melamine. When I build my next tank I will stay away from this type of wood. It is way to heavy.
I pre-drilled all holes, so there was no cracking or pealing like many people state happen to them.

Tank all put together. (Don't have any pictures from when it was going together)
002.jpg

Sprayed some foam in the enclosure to try to simulate rocks coming out of the background. First try at this. Not sure how i like it. Maybe will look a little better when it is painted. ( The sharpy marker marks in the tank are for where the furniture is going to be going in the viv. I marked it out so the furniture would be able to sit flush to the side of the tank, and not be hitting any foam.)
007.jpg

Here is another picture of the foam rocks.
005.jpg

Picture of me playing with some of the Styrofoam building some structures.
009.jpg

**Will be updated soon**

jon21388

Juvie Member
Original Poster
may be a week or two before it is finished due to being away at school. But can't wait to get it all done.

jon21388

Juvie Member
Original Poster
apaprikao":1fmpm1mu said:
It's looking great!! I can't wait to see the finished product! :)

yay it should be pretty nice when I am done. Can't wait till I'm able to build the next one so I can try out the different things I have already thought of.

Phoebe

Hatchling Member
Looks really good, make sure you post pictures of the finished thing, wish I was capable of making cool things like this

jon21388

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Heres a little update on the tank. Its pretty much done will be finished this weekend when I go home for Easter.

Grouting the food dish. This food dish has little tunnels that go under it and through it on the bottom. Will be to small soon for the baby but its just the first time at grouting and playing with the Styrofoam.
045.jpg

Here is a picture of the tank with the background finished being painted and the styrofoam structure put in place. (Not sure if I like the color its pretty dark but hopefully with all the lights in the tank it will brighten up)
046-1.jpg

Pictures of the structures all grouted and put in place. Will need to be grouted maybe one more time and then we may paint it or just seal them.
047-1.jpg

048-1.jpg

**Whats left to do**
- Still need to install the glass onto the tank
- Iron on the melamine tape
- Put on the finishing molding on the front of the tank

**BADS: Things I wouldn't do or use again**
- Would not use melamine it is way to heavy. I would spend the extra 5-10$ and buy a nice wood.
- Build the platforms and structures in multiple pieces, not just one. Way to hard to handle and move out of the tank.
- Lighter color brown for the background of the tank.

I will post additional updates as soon as the tank is finished and i have time to put up some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom