Starter Turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrich

it is a common misconception that box turtles are a good starter because they stay small, however they have very specific requirements that can often be difficult to replicate. They need high humidity, uvb, a varied diet of protein, fruit and vegetable matter and a large enclosure (at least 55 gallons per turtle).

Red Eared Sliders can get over a foot in size and require a very big enclosure that is at least two times deeper than they are long in order to thrive as well as uvb and a very varied diet. They are also super, duper messy.

painted turtles stay a little smaller as do some varieties of musk, but I would never consider a turtle as a good starter pet. mostly because many of them are a lifelong commitment. Turtles and tortoises live a very, very long time. When purchasing one, you have to consider where you are going to be in 5, 10, 25 years from now. Is this a pet that you are going to want to keep that long?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I think you should stick to goldfish. I can't imagine you committing to something for long than a few months. All these animals are long term commitments and you can't seem to stick to one plan for more than a few days.

ColoradoRiverRafter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GoFast":c57aa said:
I think you should stick to goldfish. I can't imagine you committing to something for long than a few months. All these animals are long term commitments and you can't seem to stick to one plan for more than a few days.

You don't know me. This is very frustrating for me because this will probably be my last pet until I graduate. I have raised multiple fish, a guinea pig that lived way past four years, and I have a dog and goldfish. All of these pets I have stuck with until the very end. And goldfish do not live a few months. They can live past 20 years. So, I am going to totally disregard your comment and stick to the people who will encourage and help me.

apbgv

Hatchling Member
Personally I love torties. I have russians, redfoots and cherry heads, and I am considering getting a boxie this spring. My torts have pens outside in the summer and I have a dedicated room in my basement for winter set up. JMHO. They are great pets, seem to like attention esp the redfoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom