SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyLC

So when I'm posting on the forum, I get constant SQL errors... I noticed it always does it if I use a special character, like a heart, but it sometimes does it for completely plaintext posts as well.

The specific message I get is:
  • General Error
    SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x80\x8BYea...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Obviously, the specific string itself varies with the topic I'm trying to post to. I type up my comments directly in the forum's text entry boxes, so there's no issue of Word docs converting some punctuation marks into a special character. I'm kind of at a loss. Is it just me? It happens on my work computer and my home laptop, and it happens whether I'm in Firefox or Chrome. I went through the topic titles of a few pages of the Website Comments forum back until mid-2013 in case someone else had listed this problem as well, but I didn't see anything. Any advice on what I can do to stop getting constant SQL errors?

Thanks!

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Not just you. This affects everyone. Specifically it is when emoji characters are used. In short, this is because those special characters use a character size (in terms of how many bytes each character uses) bigger than the database supports.

This is something that will take a bit of time to fix. However, I'm working on building a new server for the website. With that, I am hoping to include the change to the database that will resolve this. Until then, it's best to avoid anything other than basic characters or to use image based smileys.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
I'm glad it's not just me! Sometimes it happens when I don't use smilies at all, too, though - I've been trying to reply to a topic since yesterday morning, and it's entirely plain text, and I've retyped it even, but it still won't post.

Thank you so much for all of your work!

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
In those cases it is usually a fancy quote or apostrophe. Often times phones and even browsers now, will swap a simple one for a "directional" one. The hexadecimal values in the error message is actually the character it doesn't like. You can usually copy and paste the hex code into google and find a page that indicates what character it is.

Hopefully I'll have that all fixed soon.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
Oh - I didn't know that browseres were starting to do that now. That was probably the problem, then. The hex code trick is good to know - I had no idea how to interpret it. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom