Spike has a protruding bone in between his back legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishenke

He has a bump in between his back legs and it feels like a bone. His tail hasn't been up for over a day and he's not running around anymore. he can still move his back legs but he walks instead of runs and he hasn't been lifting his belly. Please can someone tell me whats wrong. The only reptile vet is closed and were worried.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Can you post a pic?It would be easier to tell visually what may be wrong with him.I do want to ask a few questions.Has he fallen recently? What type of uvb are you using?Please be specific also how old is it and how close can your beardie get to it?What type of calcium/vitamin supplemntation are you using?How old is he and how long have you had him?How is his appetite?What is he eating and how often?Last one for now when was his last poop?

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
If it feels like a bone he will need to see a vet for X-rays if it turns out he broke it they may split or cast it

chrishenke

Original Poster
PB020036.jpg

PB020038.jpg

PB020046.jpg

PB020048.jpg

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
His tank it way to small it needs to be atleast 4 foot long that way he can live in it his whole life I hate to say this but it kinda looks like MBD

Im going to tell tracie to look at this post

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thanks for the pics.Yes unfortunately it does look like MBD.When do you plan on upgrading the tank?I would like to see you get an MVB for them but this cant happen until you get a bigger tank for them.The tank size required for an MVB is 40 breeder which means 36x18x18.While your tank has the dimension its all in height and not in floorspace which is what your beardie needs.I also recommend getting him some liquid calcium asap.This is what I would use:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Meds.html#CalciumGluconate
I would first and foremost get him to a vet for xrays to ensure that its MBD and if so get him calcium therapy and to if its not to get his break treated.Do you have a herpvet you can take him to?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does look like metabolic bone disease. Are you using a coil or compact light for the UVB? If so, those are very dangerous and you should invest in a strip fluorescent bulb like a Repti-Sun 10.0 http://www.petmountain.com/product/bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-high-output-uvb-bulb.html The tank looks quite tall which would prevent him from being able to get close enough to the bulbs. Beardies need more length in their tanks rather than height. How long have you had him? How often are you using calcium and vitamin supplements?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ugh, that is metabolic bone disease most likely.
As suggested, taking him to the vet would be a good idea, as well as liquid calcium. You should ask the vet for the liquid calcium or order it from the beautiful dragons site.
The flourescent tube bulb needs to be within 6-8 inches from him, which is hard to do with that tall of a tank. The Reptisun 10 flourescent tube is the best flourescent tube that you can get.
He needs calcium 5 times per week, so if you are going to be using the liquid calcium then you don't need to use any powdered calcium while he is on the liquid calcium.
How is his appetite right now?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, if you have to, you can hand feed him crickets. Pop the back legs off of the crickets, & he can eat them out of your hand pretty easily.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

chrishenke

Original Poster
We bought some repta aid. Mixed it with water and I fed him with a droper, he ate it all right up. I bought a uvb light and it's down about 7in above them. After feeding him the repta aid, he started moving around alot more. He seems more comfortable in the water than he does in his house though. I've been giving him two to three baths a day now in about an inch of warm water. He moves his tail just fine in the water, and he's been scratching his head alot with his hind legs.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Great on getting him the repta aid and the uvb.Which UVB did you get? Are you going to able to get him to the vet for xrays and bloodwork?I would think he is feeling better in the watter because its soothing and he doesnt have to hold himself up as much.I am still concerned there may be a break there as MBD can make the bones very weak.I am glad to hear he still has some rear leg movement and tail movement thats a good sign.Did you get him the calcium as well?

wizbee

Juvie Member
What are the dimensions of the tank? Maybe you could turn it on its side and use it long ways instead of tall? They need more floor space than height. I be afraid of him falling off those high sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My 2 year old male dragon has been shedding for 2-3 weeks. I’m worried about it being a stuck shed. I’ve seen on other websites they should not soak and then I’ve seen that they should be soaked. So my question is when should I soak him?
Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wickedkurse84$
Top Bottom