spayed female still has eggs forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Booger is starting to eat on her own again, she goes in this Saturday for either stitches out or they might just let them dissolve.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Bwalter":2v8h1pcs said:
Booger is starting to eat on her own again, she goes in this Saturday for either stitches out or they might just let them dissolve.
That is fantastic news! I am so happy to hear that. :blob5: :blob8:

One thing I can suggest (just from my own experience), I would make sure to feed her smaller bugs and cut the veggies a little smaller, just so she doesn't need to strain to poop....that just seems like it would hurt to push. Again, I'm not trying to be bossy or pushy, just a suggestion. :)

Keep is up on how she is doing. :)

Not sure if you mentioned it before, but how long ago was her surgery? Just wondering how long her stitches have been in. Mine had her staples in for 2 months, almost to the day but Zoey's was a tougher surgery though and more invasive than most. This is my first reptile so I'm just curious how long the normal beardie has to wait to have them removed.

Take care and have a Happy Memorial Day! :)

Tracey

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Booger's stitches come out on Saturday, (tomorrow). It is around 3 weeks. So far she is doing so well, eating on her own again, not much greens but getting there. Doesn't bother me to much she isn't eating a lot, she looks at food and gains weight. But her colors are coming back and I love seeing her bright colors again.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Bwalter":2jjkweqf said:
Booger's stitches come out on Saturday, (tomorrow). It is around 3 weeks. So far she is doing so well, eating on her own again, not much greens but getting there. Doesn't bother me to much she isn't eating a lot, she looks at food and gains weight. But her colors are coming back and I love seeing her bright colors again.
That is so amazing that she is doing so well! :D As long as she isn't losing weight you are in good shape. :) It's helpful to me to get other's stories so I have something to compare mine to.

Once the area sheds she will be in good shape again. But since this is your second time around, you know this already. Mine just shed a big chunk of dead skin on the incision site. She was acting really weird...freaked out, nervous, big eyes and I had no idea why. She is always a very chill beardie. Turned out there were stitches (even though she had 24 staples holding it together) and the skin grew around the stitch. Once we cut that stitch off, the skin came off and she was immediately back to herself again. They sure do know how to make us worry!!

Is she pooping normally again? I mean no straining or anything? Nice urates?

I agree about seeing their colors come back, you know it means they are doing well. :blob8:

Do you have any post op pics?

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
She looks IDENTICAL to mine. Even her beard. Mine was real thin after the surgery but now (2 months later) she is actually looking fat. lol They get weight back real fast, although you already know most of this since you've been there already. I do love that her belly has no stress marks at all, that is such a wonderful thing to see...she is one happy little girl. :)

One thing I forgot to ask, do you offer her water at all? I know mine drank like it was going out of style once everything was all said and done. She drank tons while she was producing eggs, but afterwards it was like she was trying to make up for everything that the eggs sucked out of her. I just use a syringe and luke warm water, putting a drop on her mouth at a time and she just keeps going and going. She is so lazy about it now and so trusting that she won't even waste the "effort" of trying to drink on her own in the bath. lol Spoiled a little? NAAAAAA. ;)

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I did give her water from a syringe the first week, then I started giving her baths again and she drinks from that. We are heading out in half hour to the vets. Her recheck on the stitches.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going with your girl now?
I am happy to hear that Booger is doing so well now. Did you get the remaining stitches out?
I wish that they would have done a better job on the incision.... Has she had any trouble with that? I know that it is the second time she has been cut open which could not have been pleasant. :cry:
What did they miss when spaying her, did they not take out the ovaries since she redeveloped eggs?
I am glad that she is eating a lot right now & not having any other issues going to the bathroom either.

It sounds like she is recovering well right now. About the fatty liver problems, did they give any lactulose for short term to help with fat mobilization?
You are giving milk thistle too?

Tracie

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Booger is doing good, got her stitches out on Saturday. I hate the way they look, but having 2 surgeries they had to cut down one side last year and the other side this year, since they have a main vein going down the middle of their bellies. She is eating ok, she could lose some weight so that is fine running around and getting baths. She seems to be getting her colors back.
I didn't ask the vet what he found, I will next time. I was just happy she is ok, but I would really like to know more about it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing, any updates for us now?
I hope she is healing up well & gaining some weight back also. I have been thinking about you both.

Tracie

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Booger is doing really well now. She is back to eating, not much but she could lose a few grams. Her color went from a bright orange to now a nice yellow color. Not sure if it had anything to do with the surgery. I have never heard of a beardie changing colors like this, but she is happy and healthy again.
The place where they cut her open has healed but it will be a nasty scare, not sure if its because they had to open her up 2 times, one on each side of the main vein that goes down her middle. I am just happy she made it through all of this again. Thank you Traci for asking.

Namipulla

Sorry for answering such an old topic but my female beardie is in sort of a similar situation as she was spayed just this Monday. She's not even two years old but she's been producing eggs like crazy (even the previous summer she did, before even turning one). This Sunday her condition dropped suddenly, her beard was black, she was hunched and very lethargic, her legs shook when she tried to walk etc. I first suspected an impaction and gave her a warm bath. She let out some diarrhea but the problem didn't go away. The day before she had been just fine. I suspected she might have some eggs still inside as she lay the previous clutch 1,5 weeks ago. So after looking at her for a few hours and no improvement, I called my vet. We got an emergency appointment in the afternoon and she had an x-ray which showed one odd egg just entering her cloaca, still intact and in a position that shouldn't have been problematic. The vet suspected she was hypocalcemic and gave her a shot of calcium, vitamin B and electrolytes. After that we went home but she didn't get any better over night. The next morning I called the vet again and they took her in as I had to rush to work. Later the vet called me saying that my girl's totally exhausted of all the hormonal storms she's been having and they need perform a surgery to remove her follicles and ovaries. I agreed to this (in fact, I demanded it if needed). She had around 40 follicles inside her and the vet said she had a follicular stasis and estrogen intoxication that results from it. On Sunday evening I was crying and thought I was going to lose her, but now she's doing fine. She's sore and tired but she eats and every day she moves around a bit more. Her beard has gone back to normal and her legs are gaining strength again. After this I read an autopsy report of a similar case and it seems we really acted on the last minute, since she could have died soon or gotten so bad that we would have had to put her to sleep.

Now come to this topic. The vet said that ovaries are very tricky to remove, they are so tiny and spread all around the abdomen. If even one of them is missed, the beardie might start producing follicles again. I certainly hope they got all out of my girl and there won't be need for another surgery. The vet also said her liver was weirdly yellow and she suspected the beginnings of a fatty liver. I was really surprised because I've tried to feed her much greens, crickets and dubia and she's gotten worms only occasionally. Then I read in that autopsy report that a yellow liver is a common finding on lizards that produce large amount of eggs. It has something to do the follicle development. So now I've given myself peace; I'm sure my beardie's liver is fine! They took blood samples so let's see what those have to say. I don't know the details, but I think Booger might have had a similar case.

You can check out the article here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/clinical-exposures-preovulatory-stasis-and-dystocia-oviparous-lizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom