spare some tips for a newbie?

hi im alaster and pretty soon ill be getting my first bearded dragon (yayyy!!) I was just wondering if anyone had some tips for me that you wish you knew when you first started.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I wish I would have known more about lighting & the better UVB brands when I started keeping
reptiles/bearded dragons.
When are you getting your dragon?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hi im alaster and pretty soon ill be getting my first bearded dragon (yayyy!!) I was just wondering if anyone had some tips for me that you wish you knew when you first started.
Hi Alaster- please read these articles - this is found under Resources there are more there- come back and post your questions then we can help you set up the tank - we have all kinds of info and websites to get feeders for your dragon which is a better option than buying from pet stores they are expensive --

alaster2008

Original Poster
Hi Alaster- please read these articles - this is found under Resources there are more there- come back and post your questions then we can help you set up the tank - we have all kinds of info and websites to get feeders for your dragon which is a better option than buying from pet stores they are expensive --
i already read it lol

Skittles567

Beardie name(s)
Spike, Electra
Hi! :) The biggest surprise I had when I got my guy as a baby was just how much he ate and how crazy fast he grew. Make sure to have plenty of feeders - maybe think about starting a roach colony. Take lots of pics and enjoy every minute of your baby as a baby.

Austinnnnn23

Beardie name(s)
Leatherback Beardie: Rico 5 y/o Tangerine AFT: Toothless 1 y/o
No matter what anyone says please do not put your beardie on loose substrate especially since you can not monitor it 24hrs a day that would definitely be my biggest regret owning my first beardie was keeping her on coconut shells and lets just say it didnt end well. Keep them on a carpet because tiles can get too hot but if you have any other questions please ask im sure all of us have had different situations and together we can provide great information!

Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Hmm i’m a newbie myself and one thing I wish I had done from the start was buy the right sized tank for mine. I was one of those that bought a 40 gallon but now I wish i had went with the standard 120 gallon (i think thats the correct size). Oh also lighting is crucial!

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hello,

I wish I would have known more about lighting & the better UVB brands when I started keeping
reptiles/bearded dragons.
When are you getting your dragon?

Tracie
Ditto.

Lighting is crucial
Always adding to my setup.

I was gonna ask Tracie or someone on here if I could us a MVB bulb with a 14 inch zoomed T5 Reptisun tube or if that would be too much UVB/UVA.
Nothing too big.
What do you guys think? Anyone experienced enough to answer?
Always learning here as always just like you guys.

Soon here I'll be getting my Beardie.
It's good to have everything setup beforehand I will say that...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ditto.

Lighting is crucial
Always adding to my setup.

I was gonna ask Tracie or someone on here if I could us a MVB bulb with a 14 inch zoomed T5 Reptisun tube or if that would be too much UVB/UVA.
Nothing too big.
What do you guys think? Anyone experienced enough to answer?
Always learning here as always just like you guys.

Soon here I'll be getting my Beardie.
It's good to have everything setup beforehand I will say that...
14" is too small- for a 40+ gallon you want a 24"- and is always recommended w/ a mvb-- a mega Ray is good but to me are over priced for what your getting - a good solid clear bright white basking bulb is a cheaper way to go - bulbs like flukers exoterra intense or a Arcadia halogen

Dart's Human

Beardie name(s)
Dartanion, (Dart)
Hi! :) The biggest surprise I had when I got my guy as a baby was just how much he ate and how crazy fast he grew. Make sure to have plenty of feeders - maybe think about starting a roach colony. Take lots of pics and enjoy every minute of your baby as a baby.
But my baby is so small that I don't think he can eat even small roaches yet. Stuck with meal worms and what veggies he'll eat.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom