Sores on the back

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a beardie (Jupiter) that is about 1 1/2 years old. We clean her habitat every week (40g terrarium w/ plastic rock, food dishes, log and hammock. She has recently had trouble shedding, being very patchy and it has not come off her back as far as we could tell. It has looked cloudy and a couple of times in the last few weeks she has had a red spot or two.

My son (10yo) and my daughter (19yo) are careful not to peel at her as she sheds. When they clean her habitat they let her swim in the tub without soap or detergent of any kind, for a few minutes, maybe 15. This time, after her bath, she had abrasions all over her back. We live in a small town and only one vet works on reptiles so I may not be able to get an appt for a few days.

What does this look like and should it heal on its own? Thank you.

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure --- what kind of UVB are you using ? this is going to help w/ the healing of the back -- please NO coils -- I am going to flag the post to AHBD and Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, from those pics I can't see anything that look concerning. Just a very slight discoloration in a spot or 2. Is it possible that even though you've told the kids not to pull at the shed, they had done so before you mentioned it ? Anyway, I don't see anything of much concern but you can get some Betadine and make a mix of 1 part betadine to 10 parts water and dab it on the spots a couple times a day. It looks like it should be fine. BTW, they rarely have trouble shedding, people just think uneven shedding means something is wrong but it's perfectly normal..

MrFantastic

Original Poster
Thank you. I'm posting another picture just to make sure. The one I posted I took without a flash. I'll post one with a flash so maybe it will look different. There is a little blood (almost like when you get carpet burn?) in the abrasions. If it is simple, that's great; if not I want a better sense of it. I need to take her back to the vet anyway because she has a blockage in her ear and the ointment and baths didn't soften it enough so we need to return. The vet tried to remove it, but some of it was hardened so she said to come back if it didn't come out.

Two things in reply:

1. Unfortunately our UVB IS a coil; we didn't know, and that's what they had. What do you recommend instead?

2. Do I just get regular betazine from a pharmacy or do I need to get some from a pet store that is special?

Here's a good picture of Jupiter from her day at the vet, followed by the photo taken with a flash.

108560-6385301314.jpg

108560-9741913508.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Betadine from your pharmacy or Walmart --- UVB's need to be a long tube fixture for a 40+ gallon tank 24" fixture like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/light-fixtures/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756
If you can get her outside for some natural UVB -- 15 minutes in the direct sunlight sitting on you or longer -- temps need to be 65+ outside -- this will do her some good -- when the UVB comes in please let me know I will help you get it placed in the tank - they have a certain distance and placement depending on your screen

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those areas don't look bad at all, the dragon may have scraped under the log or maybe someone just lightly picked those areas. Just a little uneven shed, nothing to worry about. :) BTW, her being outside is great, just keep an eye on her of course. The sun makes up for lack of uvb if you haven;t had a good bulb.

MrFantastic

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone. That makes me feel better. We just hit a cold snap, but it's supposed to warm up again Monday or Tuesday so I'll get her outside with me and I'll look at bulbs and making that solution.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! One more thing to mention, aside from the Betadine, raw unpasteurized honey is also great on any blemishes or wounds, small or large.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, that looks to be scrapes on her back. As suggested, the raw honey is very good
& should help those areas clear up.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

MrFantastic

Original Poster
I'll take a look at the honey, too. Thank you.

I'm hoping I can get her to the vet soon for that ear and also this morning she cut herself on the side and is bleeding. It's at about the ribs and I wonder if she was scratching and caught her claw. Our son is beside himself. I need to deal with that one, too. :?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How did she cut herself? You can use some honey on that as well -- what are you using for a substrate?

MrFantastic

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1si713o8 said:
How did she cut herself? You can use some honey on that as well -- what are you using for a substrate?

I don't know how she cut herself. My son had her out earlier but he said he doesn't know either.

I'm on my way out to see if I can find some raw honey and betadine. I'll call the vet tomorrow.

Is the substrate the bottom of the cage? We have the mat/carpet like in the picture below of Jupiter when she was a baby:

108560-7510774559.jpg

MrFantastic

Original Poster
Also, what's the best way to apply honey?

Since it's sticky I'm guessing not with cotton swabs or gauze that would leave lint, but do I just use my finger (after washing my hands good of course)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom