Something in Matcha’s Eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonbread

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Matcha
My baby beardie (~3 months old) seems to be having some trouble with his eye. It’s squinted considerably, and the part I can see appears gray and very watery. I’m not sure how to post a picture, but if someone could help me out I’d be happy to add one.

He has a proper light setup with a Reptisun UVB tube fixated over his enclosure, and he loves basking underneath his basking light. At night he’s cozied up near the CHE, and using the bathroom regularly.

There are no loose bugs in his vivarium, as I always monitor feeding time closely, and he gets a fresh collard greens salad every morning.

He also seems to be trying to scratch his eye, rubbing around as if there’s something in it. I tried to drip some water over his head to help flush it out but I’m not sure if it helped at all.

Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My baby beardie (~3 months old) seems to be having some trouble with his eye. It’s squinted considerably, and the part I can see appears gray and very watery. I’m not sure how to post a picture, but if someone could help me out I’d be happy to add one.

He has a proper light setup with a Reptisun UVB tube fixated over his enclosure, and he loves basking underneath his basking light. At night he’s cozied up near the CHE, and using the bathroom regularly.

There are no loose bugs in his vivarium, as I always monitor feeding time closely, and he gets a fresh collard greens salad every morning.

He also seems to be trying to scratch his eye, rubbing around as if there’s something in it. I tried to drip some water over his head to help flush it out but I’m not sure if it helped at all.

Please help!
Take some regular saline solution and wash his eye out -- no contact lens stuff - are you using any loose substrate like sand etc or is he shedding? Where is the tube UVB and is it a T 5 or a T 8? at the bottom of the left side of page when you hit reply there is a icon says attach files click on that and it will bring up your library for like documents / pics etc then you can click on that and post it

lemonbread

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Matcha
Here’s a picture of his eye!

Attachments

• 35AF7F2B-8010-45B4-83F7-86B1A7F4354A.jpeg
    35AF7F2B-8010-45B4-83F7-86B1A7F4354A.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 100

lemonbread

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Matcha
Take some regular saline solution and wash his eye out -- no contact lens stuff - are you using any loose substrate like sand etc or is he shedding? Where is the tube UVB and is it a T 5 or a T 8? at the bottom of the left side of page when you hit reply there is a icon says attach files click on that and it will bring up your library for like documents / pics etc then you can click on that and post it
Currently, his substrate is newspaper. It doesn’t look like he’s shedding but he has been scratching himself a bit and doing the eye bulging as if he is shedding. The tube UVB is T5, I believe, it runs across the tank and it’s placed away from his basking spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Currently, his substrate is newspaper. It doesn’t look like he’s shedding but he has been scratching himself a bit and doing the eye bulging as if he is shedding. The tube UVB is T5, I believe, it runs across the tank and it’s placed away from his basking spot.
Ok so to me it's shedding- the eyes will bulge out w/ shedding but we want that uvb placed correctly in the tank is the uvb on top of your screen or inside the tank- the screen will determine placement and distance- next are you using a solid clear bright basking bulb? You don't want colored bulbs or off white or yellowish bulbs or daytime bulbs- also is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type

lemonbread

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Matcha
Ok so to me it's shedding- the eyes will bulge out w/ shedding but we want that uvb placed correctly in the tank is the uvb on top of your screen or inside the tank- the screen will determine placement and distance- next are you using a solid clear bright basking bulb? You don't want colored bulbs or off white or yellowish bulbs or daytime bulbs- also is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type
The UVB is placed on top of the mesh, which is a fine mesh. And the basking bulb is bright and clear. No color at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is placed on top of the mesh, which is a fine mesh. And the basking bulb is bright and clear. No color at all.
Ok so w/ a fine mesh it needs to be inside the tank the screen is blocking 30% of the rays - distance directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches- if you need help w/ hanging it I can post some stuff you can use-- the lighting is out for the eye issue so keep an eye on her eye it's more than likely shed coming on -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom