Some health concerns; don’t know if this should be in ER thread or not

annieandziggy

Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Ziggy is about five months old. His basking temperature is around 95-105 and his cool side is around 75-85. Humidity can range anywhere between 15-40 depending on the day. If it’s low like 15 I put a humidifier in my room and close the door. He has the Reptisun 17 W UVB bulb. I dust his food (crickets and dubias) with ReptiCal w/D3 five times a week and Herptivite MultiVitamin 2 days a week. His tank is about 50 gallons (36x18x18 but he has a rock wall in the back that might take some off) His light schedule is usually 8am- around 10pm but I sometimes let it run longer if I forget to take his salad out two hours before bed time (so his food won’t rot in his stomach if there’s a chance has eaten any). I recently bought a light timer that will turn his lights off at a certain time which will be arriving tomorrow.

Today, I gave Ziggy a bath. His skin is extremely wrinkly/flabby which has concerned me. I’ve heard about dehydration but I spray his veggies every day and give him a bath a couple of times a week. For some reason he poops once every like 3-4 days which I have told the vet and she said to feed him only once a day. For his age, I think that’s a slightly too little so I give him snacks (dubias) throughout the day after his morning meal of about 10 bugs since they are opportunistic animals. Anyway, the skin might just be him deflating (lol) after he takes a huge truckload of poop. He’s skinny after that haha. It might be stretch marks? When he flattens out, the flab’s are completely gone. But then at times they’re so high that his side spikes are folding into each other if you know what i mean. Today I was petting his back and examining the flab’s/wrinkles of skin. When I touched it, he twitched his head. I know that twitching can be a sign of MBD which scared me so bad but now I’m conflicted with the fact that he may also just have done that because I irritated him. He’s never twitched (not that I have seen) before. Asking for reassurance!!
Last thing I promise- Ziggy is very active. When I get his food (i tong feed him) he gets way too overexcited to the point where he tries to leap on me 😂 He’s curious and likes to crawl on me and my bed. However, sometimes, like when I give him a bath and then put him back in his terrarium, he’s so lazy that he won’t even leave my hand. I kinda bounce him until he goes on his log. He just sits there. Even once he goes on his log, the position his legs were in when he was on my hand stay in the same position on the log and he looks extremely uncomfortable. He’ll adjust himself eventually. It almost reminds me of a rag doll or inanimate object.

We have had Ziggy tested for parasites and came back negative- this was about a month to a month and a half ago. Would love some feedback!!! The picture below is of his wrinkles at the moment. Sometimes they can be twice as high/big.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 133

SPandS

Juvie Member
It looks like the branch he's on is pressing up on his side and making his skin gather a bit and nothing to be worried about. Do you have another pic, maybe a full body so we can see his overall appearance?

The vet you took him to, were they a reptile vet? Seems odd a vet would say to only feed a 5 month old once a day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ziggy is about five months old. His basking temperature is around 95-105 and his cool side is around 75-85. Humidity can range anywhere between 15-40 depending on the day. If it’s low like 15 I put a humidifier in my room and close the door. He has the Reptisun 17 W UVB bulb. I dust his food (crickets and dubias) with ReptiCal w/D3 five times a week and Herptivite MultiVitamin 2 days a week. His tank is about 50 gallons (36x18x18 but he has a rock wall in the back that might take some off) His light schedule is usually 8am- around 10pm but I sometimes let it run longer if I forget to take his salad out two hours before bed time (so his food won’t rot in his stomach if there’s a chance has eaten any). I recently bought a light timer that will turn his lights off at a certain time which will be arriving tomorrow.

Today, I gave Ziggy a bath. His skin is extremely wrinkly/flabby which has concerned me. I’ve heard about dehydration but I spray his veggies every day and give him a bath a couple of times a week. For some reason he poops once every like 3-4 days which I have told the vet and she said to feed him only once a day. For his age, I think that’s a slightly too little so I give him snacks (dubias) throughout the day after his morning meal of about 10 bugs since they are opportunistic animals. Anyway, the skin might just be him deflating (lol) after he takes a huge truckload of poop. He’s skinny after that haha. It might be stretch marks? When he flattens out, the flab’s are completely gone. But then at times they’re so high that his side spikes are folding into each other if you know what i mean. Today I was petting his back and examining the flab’s/wrinkles of skin. When I touched it, he twitched his head. I know that twitching can be a sign of MBD which scared me so bad but now I’m conflicted with the fact that he may also just have done that because I irritated him. He’s never twitched (not that I have seen) before. Asking for reassurance!!
Last thing I promise- Ziggy is very active. When I get his food (i tong feed him) he gets way too overexcited to the point where he tries to leap on me 😂 He’s curious and likes to crawl on me and my bed. However, sometimes, like when I give him a bath and then put him back in his terrarium, he’s so lazy that he won’t even leave my hand. I kinda bounce him until he goes on his log. He just sits there. Even once he goes on his log, the position his legs were in when he was on my hand stay in the same position on the log and he looks extremely uncomfortable. He’ll adjust himself eventually. It almost reminds me of a rag doll or inanimate object.

We have had Ziggy tested for parasites and came back negative- this was about a month to a month and a half ago. Would love some feedback!!! The picture below is of his wrinkles at the moment. Sometimes they can be twice as high/big.
Please upgrade your UVB bulb to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 --- please place the fixture inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- I do recommend you upgrading to a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - the one your using is more for aquariums not reptiles -- I can post a website w/ links if you like --- dragons get most of their hydration from the salads they eat -- please get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com to lure him to the salad bowl you will need a bowl that they cannot get out of https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies -- order large please - do not dust them- are you dusting his dubias w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene? Drop the BSFL on top of his salads in front of him so it gets his attention -- he should be eating salads and his insects every day - I would feed the salads w/ the BSFL first to get him to eat some salad please rinse the greens before serving - then drop the BSFL onto the salad -- Ziggy should be eating about 10-15 insects per feeding I am thinking- what size of dubia are you feeding? You can tell if Ziggy is dehydrated by his poop- you want dark moist formed poop - urate you want white formed and moist extra water is good -- if the urate is dry or chalky looking then hes dehydrated -- if you have any more questions please ask

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
It looks like the branch he's on is pressing up on his side and making his skin gather a bit and nothing to be worried about. Do you have another pic, maybe a full body so we can see his overall appearance?

The vet you took him to, were they a reptile vet? Seems odd a vet would say to only feed a 5 month old once a day.
They are a five star exotic vet. I’m not sure SPECIFICALLY if she’s a reptile vet but they know all about exotic animals from iguanas to bunnies. She told me to feed him once a day because he was always impacted.

Attachments

• 9CE340C1-8C27-47F0-868D-227914795505.jpeg
    9CE340C1-8C27-47F0-868D-227914795505.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 73

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Please upgrade your UVB bulb to a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 --- please place the fixture inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- I do recommend you upgrading to a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - the one your using is more for aquariums not reptiles -- I can post a website w/ links if you like --- dragons get most of their hydration from the salads they eat -- please get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com to lure him to the salad bowl you will need a bowl that they cannot get out of https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies -- order large please - do not dust them- are you dusting his dubias w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene? Drop the BSFL on top of his salads in front of him so it gets his attention -- he should be eating salads and his insects every day - I would feed the salads w/ the BSFL first to get him to eat some salad please rinse the greens before serving - then drop the BSFL onto the salad -- Ziggy should be eating about 10-15 insects per feeding I am thinking- what size of dubia are you feeding? You can tell if Ziggy is dehydrated by his poop- you want dark moist formed poop - urate you want white formed and moist extra water is good -- if the urate is dry or chalky looking then hes dehydrated -- if you have any more questions please ask
Thank you for your reply. I do have a ReptiSun 10.0 T8 and it’s placed inside the tank. It’s 24 inches. It is in the back of his terrarium and not completely directly over his basking spot because his basking branch is really close to the UVB light. Does that mean he’s not getting enough UVB? I’m really scared about that now. The dubia size I give him is medium because the large are way too big. Last time I got large I had to cut them in half (yes I know it’s gross). I dust the dubias with calcium with D3 five times a week and Herptivite MultiVit 2 times a week as stated above. About the salad, his staple food is collard greens. Occasionally I’ll give him banana and apple pieces. He’s really good about eating the salad and I’m proud of him for that. BSFL is highly expensive in our area but I’ll look.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for your reply. I do have a ReptiSun 10.0 T8 and it’s placed inside the tank. It’s 24 inches. It is in the back of his terrarium and not completely directly over his basking spot because his basking branch is really close to the UVB light. Does that mean he’s not getting enough UVB? I’m really scared about that now. The dubia size I give him is medium because the large are way too big. Last time I got large I had to cut them in half (yes I know it’s gross). I dust the dubias with calcium with D3 five times a week and Herptivite MultiVit 2 times a week as stated above. About the salad, his staple food is collard greens. Occasionally I’ll give him banana and apple pieces. He’s really good about eating the salad and I’m proud of him for that. BSFL is highly expensive in our area but I’ll look.
Please get a piece of decor directly underneath his UVB 6-8 inches --- decor is easier to move than the UVB-- Ok so good on the supplements -- here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content
Kale is a great staple feeder --
Here is a website for BSFL www.symtonbsf.com
You will need a bowl to keep them in its a great feeder bowl for salads and BSFL
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
If you need anymore help please ask

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Please get a piece of decor directly underneath his UVB 6-8 inches --- decor is easier to move than the UVB-- Ok so good on the supplements -- here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content
Kale is a great staple feeder --
Here is a website for BSFL www.symtonbsf.com
You will need a bowl to keep them in its a great feeder bowl for salads and BSFL
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
If you need anymore help please ask
I give him kale occasionally, but I've heard it's not a good staple food. Any thoughts on the twitching and the other concerns?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I give him kale occasionally, but I've heard it's not a good staple food. Any thoughts on the twitching and the other concerns?
Have you seen him twitch anymore ? If not it could of been him having something tickle him -- but please get him to where he can get directly under his UVB and consider upgrading your UVB -- the pooping as they get older slows down - your UVB has a lot to do w/ this as well --- around 6 months is when mine went to a 2-3 day poop day -- hydration also plays a key role w/ the eating etc ---
kale is good they did another study on it and they said it was actually better than collards --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using a Reptisun 10 tube? As Karrie suggested, for your tank size the Reptisun 10
T8 mounted underneath of the screen for maximum exposure.
Yes, Kale is fine. It is spinach that should be given sparingly, due to high oxalates. You can
also use mustard or collard greens & a lot use dandelion greens also. That's great he will eat
his greens/salad, a lot of youngsters wont.
If his urates are a bit harder than they should be, you can try giving more oral fluids for him to
help with hydration.
They tend to be lazy sometimes so if he just enjoys basking, that is perfectly fine as long as he
is alert, etc & doesn't look ill. As a 5 month old, he can still have a decent amount of protein,
since he is still growing.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Hello,

Are you using a Reptisun 10 tube? As Karrie suggested, for your tank size the Reptisun 10
T8 mounted underneath of the screen for maximum exposure.
Yes, Kale is fine. It is spinach that should be given sparingly, due to high oxalates. You can
also use mustard or collard greens & a lot use dandelion greens also. That's great he will eat
his greens/salad, a lot of youngsters wont.
If his urates are a bit harder than they should be, you can try giving more oral fluids for him to
help with hydration.
They tend to be lazy sometimes so if he just enjoys basking, that is perfectly fine as long as he
is alert, etc & doesn't look ill. As a 5 month old, he can still have a decent amount of protein,
since he is still growing.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Yes, Reptisun 10.0 T8 17 Watts mounted inside of tank in a ReptiSun T8 Structure with reflector. I'm concerned if I should have it directly over his basking spot. It's a couple of inches behind. I can send a picture if needed. The thing is, the screen lid has a stupid plastic cross on it which separates the screen into four sections and if I put the UVB hood too close to the heat lamp, I'm worried it might melt. Good to know about kale.
He's doing okay I think, but I'm not sure how often he twitches. I have school so I'm not around him all the time. From what I have seen, that was the first time he twitched and as Karrie said, it may have just irritated him when I pet him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, Reptisun 10.0 T8 17 Watts mounted inside of tank in a ReptiSun T8 Structure with reflector. I'm concerned if I should have it directly over his basking spot. It's a couple of inches behind. I can send a picture if needed. The thing is, the screen lid has a stupid plastic cross on it which separates the screen into four sections and if I put the UVB hood too close to the heat lamp, I'm worried it might melt. Good to know about kale.
He's doing okay I think, but I'm not sure how often he twitches. I have school so I'm not around him all the time. From what I have seen, that was the first time he twitched and as Karrie said, it may have just irritated him when I pet him.
Can you take part of the screen off and set the UVB there?

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Can you take part of the screen off and set the UVB there?
No it’s one big screen. The plastic cross doesn’t come off either. It limits the amount of space for the heat lamp to be since the lamp can melt the plastic. here are some pictures. @KarrieRee @Drache613

Attachments

• 9A63B97E-78C7-494E-9B82-4CDA50FBB560.jpeg
    9A63B97E-78C7-494E-9B82-4CDA50FBB560.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 496694EE-62C4-4147-B3EC-DA05146C8810.jpeg
    496694EE-62C4-4147-B3EC-DA05146C8810.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 51FD15A8-191B-4177-ADED-CB3322212B87.jpeg
    51FD15A8-191B-4177-ADED-CB3322212B87.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 2C05B940-F32D-4ACD-8BC1-C05D191B4230.jpeg
    2C05B940-F32D-4ACD-8BC1-C05D191B4230.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 92D9D704-B009-4627-AAFF-4528CF39E060.jpeg
    92D9D704-B009-4627-AAFF-4528CF39E060.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it’s one big screen. The plastic cross doesn’t come off either. It limits the amount of space for the heat lamp to be since the lamp can melt the plastic. here are some pictures. @KarrieRee @Drache613
The UVB does not need to be by the basking lamp ---what is the distance from the UVB to the shelf ? Can you move the shelf w/ ramp to the side under the basking light and have the shelf under the UVB as well - or move the ramp and place the basking branch under them - the branch you have looks like what I have in my tanks - but I have the big long stick part laying on the floor w/ the thick trunk under the basking light - you want a distance of 6-8 inches from the UVB -- leave the lights and move your decor around -

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
The UVB does not need to be by the basking lamp ---what is the distance from the UVB to the shelf ? Can you move the shelf w/ ramp to the side under the basking light and have the shelf under the UVB as well - or move the ramp and place the basking branch under them - the branch you have looks like what I have in my tanks - but I have the big long stick part laying on the floor w/ the thick trunk under the basking light - you want a distance of 6-8 inches from the UVB -- leave the lights and move your decor around -
The distance now is about 8 inches from the shelf to the uvb. Maybe 9. It was originally 6 inches but I asked my dad to cut it a bit so it would be shorter. He’s an awesome builder- he made it for Ziggy 😊 I’m glad to hear that the UVB doesn’t have to be above the basking spot- I was afraid he was not getting enough rays.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The distance now is about 8 inches from the shelf to the uvb. Maybe 9. It was originally 6 inches but I asked my dad to cut it a bit so it would be shorter. He’s an awesome builder- he made it for Ziggy 😊 I’m glad to hear that the UVB doesn’t have to be above the basking spot- I was afraid he was not getting enough rays.
No it doesnt need to be above the basking spot but it does need to be where he can get directly under it -- measure the distance from where he can get directly under it 6-8 that is the main thing directly under it

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom